Author Topic: 77-Year-Old Gets Carded in Beer Purchase. LOL  (Read 1970 times)

Desertdog

• friends
77-Year-Old Gets Carded in Beer Purchase. LOL
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »
Looks like some dumb clerk just had to follow the rule,"We card all alcohal purchasers", instead of using a little common sense and judgement. 

77-Year-Old Gets Carded in Beer Purchase 
 http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SJKJSG0&show_article=1
Oct 30 11:10 AM US/Eastern

GALLIVARE, Sweden (AP) - He may look young for his age, but 77-year-old Swedish retiree Per- Eric Henricsson was not flattered when his local supermarket asked him to show ID to prove that he was old enough to buy a case of beer.
Now, Henricsson has asked the National Association of Senior Citizens for help in pressing the ICA supermarket in Gallivare, northern Sweden, to stop carding the elderly.

"It is ridiculous. I have been a customer at ICA for more than 40 years and they know me," Henricsson told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The minimum age for buying low-alcohol beer and cider in Swedish supermarkets is 18. Beer with higher alcohol content, wine and spirits are sold in government-operated liquor stores, where 20 is the age limit.

Henricsson had planned to buy a case of beer for a social gathering of the local senior citizens group he leads when the cashier asked for his ID. He said he was so insulted by the request that he refused to make the purchase and left the store.

Supermarket manager Lars Hakan Olofsson said the cashier followed the store's policy to demand ID from all customers buying alcohol because it is difficult to guess people's ages.

"I want to make it easier for my staff," he said, adding that several other supermarkets in the area have similar policies.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: 77-Year-Old Gets Carded in Beer Purchase. LOL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
The Pick N' Save supermarkets here have beer and liquor departments, and they card everyone. It's a real pain in the butt to have to show ID, especially when you're in your 50's, much less 70's.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
"I want to make it easier for my staff," he said, adding that several other supermarkets in the area have similar policies.

Translation: We don't think our people are smart enough to tell the difference between a 20 year old and a 70 year old.

Blog under construction

The Viking

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »
The thing that makes it more stupid is that from what I've read, the beer he was going to buy doesn't have ANY minimum age to buy...atleast when I was a teenager, the stuff that was lower than 2.25% alcohol by volume didn't have any minimum age to buy.

Len Budney

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 01:17:06 AM »
When I was a cashier, I always carded the women. They lapped it up. This guy sounds like a grump.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:14 AM »
He was insulted?  How on Earth was he insulted?  Cry-baby. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
Ok, seriously, does this guy not have grandkids to play with or something?  Does he just need something to do *that* badly?

Private establishment, private rules.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
"He treated me like I looked nineteen, or something.  Can you imagine the nerve?"    cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
I got carded buying beer at a Walmart in Oregon two months ago.  And I'm 61.  The clerk who carded me was only slightly younger.  It makes no sense.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
Yeah, you can call the guy a grump, or whatever you like. But carding everyone is just another Zero Tolerance policy.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
To me he should have just walked out and left his perchases on the counter.  If enough customers did that the manager might get the idea that some people really don't need to be carded.

SomeKid

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
Funny side is, I am 23. And do not get carded at some liquor stores. (Granted...it is possibly because they have seen my mug enough...)

The Viking

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
Funny side is, I am 23. And do not get carded at some liquor stores. (Granted...it is possibly because they have seen my mug enough...)
I'm 22, and sometimes I don't get carded at my local liquour store. Though its probably because there's often a girl in my age at the counter, so she probably remembers my stunning good looks angel.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
i think the idea was to slow down sales to illegal aliens.

The Viking

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »
i think the idea was to slow down sales to illegal aliens.
That far up north? No illegal aliens there. They're all down in either Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malm?. That's were there are employers who are willing to hire you without any paperwork.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 04:14:48 AM »
When I was a cashier I carded everyone, everytime.

I did this to protect my butt.

It becomes a habit.  It will suprise you the age of some of these people, (wow hes 21 he looks 40....etc.)
And if you card every single person and something happens (alleged sale to underage.  I know I had no worries... just check the video.  I card everyone.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 04:41:37 AM »
I have better things to worry about than someone carding me when I'm quite obviously over 21. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 06:56:14 AM »
What a whiny old bastard. Get a life you old loser.

Oh well, at least they didn't ask to see his receipt on the way out. cheesy
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.