Author Topic: So, what's this going on up in Chicago?  (Read 6757 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
So, what's this going on up in Chicago?
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:19:11 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,307556,00.html

Police Divers Search Pond Near Home of Suburban Chicago Cop in Missing Wife Probe

Friday, November 02, 2007

BOLINGBROOK, Ill.    Authorities in Illinois were searching a pond near the home of a missing suburban mom Friday after executing a search warrant at the residence she shared with her cop husband in what is still being described as a missing persons case.

The disappearance of Stacy Peterson, 23, missing since Sunday, has reignited interest in the death of the third wife of her husband, Drew. Kathleen Savio drowned in a bathtub in 2004.

The warrant authorized troopers to search the home, a sport utility vehicle and a car owned by Drew and Stacy Peterson, said Will County state's attorney's office spokesman Charles Pelkie, who declined to say what, if anything, investigators found during the search.

Two rifles were among the items recovered from the home. Peterson told FOX News he is not a hunter, but has a gun collection.

"He's saying she took off which is not her," Peterson's sister Cassandra Cales told FOX News. "She wouldn't leave those kids. That's what she told me Friday. I wanted to get her out of there  she said she was fearing for her life  she said she wasn't going to leave those kids."

Authorities also searched a pond near the Bolingbrook home with the help of a dive team from the Naperville Police Department, state police said.

"No criminal charges have been filed and no one has been taken into custody," Pelkie said.

Authorities said they have found no indication of foul play and the case remained a missing person investigation.

Peterson, 53, has said he believes his 23-year-old wife has left him for another man.

"I believe she's with someone else, but I believe she's safe," Peterson said. He said she called him Sunday night and told him she was leaving, taking some clothes and money from a safe in the couple's home.

Click here for more from MyFoxChicago.com.

Peterson, a 29-year police veteran and Bolingbrook police sergeant, said his wife has suffered from what he called "mood issues" since her sister's death from colon cancer last year.

"Ever since then, Stacy has been different," Peterson said Wednesday. "... She's been under the care of a psychiatrist" and is taking antidepressant medication.

Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow has started pulling and reading through old files from the Savio case, including police and coroner's reports, Pelkie has said.

Savio obtained an order of protection against Drew Peterson in 2002, alleging a pattern of physical abuse and threats, according to court records.

Click here to read the full story at the Chicago Sun-Times.

"In light of recent developments, he's reviewing this with an open and fresh mind ... to determine if further action will be warranted," Pelkie said, adding that Glasgow wasn't in office when Savio died and so hadn't been familiar with her case.

Peterson denied he had anything to do with his ex-wife's death or Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

"It bothers me," he said. "I've led an honorable life, and people are looking at me sideways. It hurts."

The couple celebrated their four-year wedding anniversary last month, Drew Peterson said. Hours before his wife called him Sunday night she had left their home to help another sister and that sister's boyfriend paint their home, he said.

She did not show up, prompting the family to try unsuccessfully to reach her on her cell phone, police said.

Peterson said he thought the couple had a good marriage, "but maybe she didn't," he said.

Stacy Peterson's family agreed she was depressed, but said it was because she believed her husband watched everything she did. They said she had asked for a divorce.

"She just wanted people to know she was unhappy, and she didn't like how she was being treated," said her aunt, Candace Aikin, 48, of El Monte, Calif. "In case she disappeared  if something bad happened to her."

Aikin said she talked to her niece every week and knows she did not have a boyfriend.

"She had a husband who was following her 24/7," she said.

Family members also said they didn't think Stacy Peterson would leave without her kids  Lacy, 2, and Anthony, 4.

"I know damn well she wouldn't go without them kids," said her uncle, Gary Cales, 68, of Hemet, Calif.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Let's see what I've got straight...

53 year old cop...23 year old woman...a bit strange, don't you think?

This is the cop's fourth wife

Third wife died, found drowned in bathtub, ruled to be accidental. (investigation has been reopened

Fourth wife disappeared.

Apparently, 3rd wife had a restraining order against the husband

WTF is going on up there? This case is extremely strange, and stuff ain't adding up
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: So, what's this going on up in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:23:35 AM »
It's a YOUNG ATTRACTIVE MISSING WHITE WOMAN.

Hence, nooz.  rolleyes

This sort of thing goes on every day in every city, but it's page 20 stuff. Unless it has those qualifications.

1. young
2. attractive
3. white
4. missing

Then it's LOOK AT THE NOOZ ALL DAY COVERAGE LOOK MORE SAME NOOZ...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:27:39 AM »
I seem to remember another woman with the "Peterson" surname - this one from California - who disappeared near water.

Things didn't work out very well for her husband, Scott.

(What IS it with the Petersons?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:48:53 AM »

Hence, nooz.  rolleyes

This sort of thing goes on every day in every city, but it's page 20 stuff. Unless it has those qualifications.

1. young
2. attractive
3. white
4. missing

Yes, by all means.  Look at the non-stop coverage of Channon Christian.  Who is Channon Christian?  She was:

1. young
2. attractive
3. white
4. missing -

...until her mutilated body (breasts cut off, cleaning fluid poured down her throat) was found after FOUR DAYS of rape and torture ( including being forced to watch the rape, mutilation, and killing of her boyfriend), by five animals,  four of which happened to be male and all of whom happened to be black.  That was ALL OVER the news, right?

Like the Duke (non)-rape case?

Like Tawana Brawley?

Right?

Wasn't it?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
Hate to say it, richyoung, but I had not even heard of it until you posted.

And it ain't like it happened several years ago, or anything.

And it is also why I will always fight to the death.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
Well, a couple of weeks ago this was the HOT news:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-franklinoct16,0,4025427.story

1. Young
2. Attractive
3. Black
4. Missing (Sadly, found dead)

Then this week we also had.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-mendez31_weboct31,0,2812419.story

1. Young(ish) Mom
2. Attractive
3. Hispanic
4. Missing (sadly, also found dead)

Missing women do get a lot of play/airtime here locally, it's the national "Nooz" that only jumps on it when it's a cute white women. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SomeKid

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »
Rich,

I live in Chattanooga, two hours south of Knoxville. Same state. The media here barely touched that story. I knew of it because I am a junky, and read probably a dozen different papers. That horrible incident is why I always carry on dates, and am willing to go for broke if hell comes.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »

Hence, nooz.  rolleyes

1. young
2. attractive
3. white
4. missing

Yes, by all means.  Look at the non-stop coverage of Channon Christian.  Who is Channon Christian?  She was:

1. young
2. attractive
3. white
4. missing -

...until her mutilated body (breasts cut off, cleaning fluid poured down her throat) was found after FOUR DAYS of rape and torture ( including being forced to watch the rape, mutilation, and killing of her boyfriend), by five animals,  four of which happened to be male and all of whom happened to be black.  That was ALL OVER the news, right?

Like the Duke (non)-rape case?

Like Tawana Brawley?

Right?

Wasn't it?

Yeah, it's the MSM covering up for non-white criminals.

Or actually, could it be that you just don't notice the race when it's white people? For instance, I have read numerous stories about a white guy killing and eating his victims, white guys killing dozens of women, and white guys molesting kids on video.  Of course, I only knew they were white when I looked at photos-no one mentions race in print if the offender is white.

But some news boards (the ones concerned with the Channon Christian atrocity) are fixated on mentioning race when the offender is black-why oh why, I wonder? 

Not every carjacking and double homicide makes the news-even horrible crimes sometimes go largely unnoticed.  This is true when victims are both black and white; but you can be sure that there will always be people on both sides who claim that a certain victim did or did not get attention because of race.  It's Louis Farrakhan doing it on one side, and the Vanguard news service doing it on the other.  Both deserve the same level of attention-none.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 02:17:07 PM »
shooter, I don't know if I agree with you or not.  To help me decide, please disclose your race, ethnicity, gender, religion and sexuality.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
shooter, I don't know if I agree with you or not.  To help me decide, please disclose your race, ethnicity, gender, religion and sexuality.   cheesy

The funny/sad part about it is how many times you find people asking the same question, but without the smiley.  It's like you need the right racial credentials to be taken seriously on some issues; crazy, just crazy.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
If you think the MSM * DOESN'T * cover up for "non-white" criminals, try googling "Wichita Massacre"...  odds are it will be the first time you heard of THAT one, either....

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
I know for a fact that if there is a bank robbery around here and the suspect is a
member of a minority, the report goes something like "Male, 28 to 35 years old,
brown hair,brown eyes,5'10-6'.No mention of race at all!That could be 50%
of the population.
Jeez,don't they think that it might be helpful? sad

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »
If you think the MSM * DOESN'T * cover up for "non-white" criminals, try googling "Wichita Massacre"...  odds are it will be the first time you heard of THAT one, either....

Actually I have-an apartment full of people who were brutally tortured and then executed in the snow (save one survivor).  The fact that it wasn't as big as Lacie Peterson's disappearance does not have anything to do with the race of the attackers or the victims.  You will have to accept that not every horrible crime will make the news-if every single such homicide were publicized, we'd have no time for any news but murders.

So no, I don't think the MSM covers up for non-white criminals.  What possible reason would there be for that? Is there some powerful minority criminal lobby out there ready to hammer them for reporting crime???

What I do notice is that both whites and non-whites of certain persuasions make a HUGE stink about victims of their race going unnoticed, and accusing the media of "covering up violence against whites" and alternatively of "not caring about just another black victim".  That is where race comes in-there's rarely evidence that race is a factor in these crimes, but there's always someone willing to jump on the bandwagon to declare this or that crime a casualty in the war of the races. 

Myself, I try to not see racism behind every tree, and I recognize that most of these crimes are what they are-atrocious crimes committed by thugs, irrespective of their races.  I'd rather not be part of the race-baiting and racially charged conflict that follows, and a quick search of the kinds of websites that waive the Wichita Massacre and Channon Christen banners will show everyone what kinds of groups are feuling the cries of racism surrounding those two particular crimes.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
I know for a fact that if there is a bank robbery around here and the suspect is a
of the population.

To be honest, that almost always means the suspect is white in my experience.  I rarely see race mentioned unless the suspect isn't white.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
Maybe it should be a non-issue but if a couple of white psychos killed a house full of black folks you know darn good and well it will be a race thing when it hits the news.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Maybe it should be a non-issue but if a couple of white psychos killed a house full of black folks you know darn good and well it will be a race thing when it hits the news.

That sort of thing has happened many times before-the reason it's a race thing is that in every case where it happened, it was explicitly about race.  White psychos blew up buildings with little girls inside, shot up groups of people marching around for rights, and burned out and lynched farmhouses full of people for reasons that had everything to do with race.   That's why a crime like that would immediately be treated as a race thing-because of the track record of such crimes in the past.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »
Or actually, could it be that you just don't notice the race when it's white people?

I don't remember having the oppertunity to ignore hte races involved in the Duke (non)-rape case - did you?  Cuz I remember a year of everybody pouncing on them evil rich white college boys that raped an African-American.  I didn;t have much chance to ignore race when Tawana Brawley (African-American) accused white people of raping her and writing racial slurs on her - Al Shartpton et al were all OVER that one - (until it turned out as false as the Duke case....).

Not that I would wish it on ANYONE, but if a BLACK couple were carjacked, raped for 4 days, mutilated and killed by alleged WHITE perpetrators, the media frenzy would be ON!

SomeKid

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:12:23 PM »
SS,

The Witchita and Knoxville cases are very similar.

White victims. Black scum. No media coverage. As rich pointed out, when it is reversed, it is rammed down our throats, even if the accusations are false.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:47:44 PM »
'No media coverage' - yet people across the country have heard about it. Weird, isn't it?

A simpler explanation for the Channon Christian case - it was solved, rather rapidly, and those responsible are in the process of being held accountable.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
What stuck out to me on the article posted was that the potential perpetrator is a cop and he may have been able to cover up a past murder.  That alone makes it news IMO regardless of race or beauty. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
'No media coverage' - yet people across the country have heard about it. Weird, isn't it?

It's called the "Internet" - Al Gore invented it.  Check it out sometime!  Still, it doesn't count as "mainstream media", now does it?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
Rich has a point, although I'm not taking a side on this particular issue of race and news coverage. 

When us wacky conservatives complain about a lack of media coverage, on any issue, we're not saying that the story can't be found on page 17 of the New York Times, or that it's not out there on the internet somewhere.  We're talking about the prominence the Old Media assigns to various stories or issues; how often they talk about one thing, when something else has equal importance or relevance.  That has a huge effect on how people think about things. 

An example that shootinstudent will understand is the way that the Iraqis are, allegedly, favoring Iran-friendly political parties.  I've never heard that anywhere, but from him.  I'm sure those news-stories are out there, somewhere, so I could learn about them.  But, like most Americans, I don't read thirteen newspapers per day, or follow every news report that comes out of the Middle East. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 07:23:54 AM »
But, like most Americans, I don't read thirteen newspapers per day, or follow every news report that comes out of the Middle East. 

Well, you're just uneducated.  I suppose you don't read Arabic, either?  rolleyes

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 02:20:10 PM »
of the population.

To be honest, that almost always means the suspect is white in my experience.  I rarely see race mentioned unless the suspect isn't white.

You've got to be kidding.
If its a white person,the media usually has a picture or drawing.
Here in "oh, so politically correct" Marin county,no minority commits a crime
according to the local rag.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 04:40:19 PM »
didn;t have much chance to ignore race when Tawana Brawley (African-American) accused white people of raping her and writing racial slurs on her - Al Shartpton et al were all OVER that one - (until it turned out as false as the Duke case....).

Not that I would wish it on ANYONE, but if a BLACK couple were carjacked, raped for 4 days, mutilated and killed by alleged WHITE perpetrators, the media frenzy would be ON!

This is a good point-look at the guys who were all over the Duke case making it into a giant racial issue.  Why would you want to copy them?

The people who trot out these stories of murders and then declare "WHITE VICTIMS! No coverage!" are doing exactly the same thing that Al and Jesse did to the Duke players.  Pointing out that it happens both ways shouldn't justify you doing the same thing that the Reverends did to the Duke players, should it?

You are noting that there was an attempt by some to make that case into a race issue when it wasn't, and then turning around to invent exactly the same kind of race issue but with the races of victim and perp reversed.  Instead of copying Farrakhan, you should try to be smarter than that-claiming that there's a conspiracy to cover up crimes against white victims committed by minorities is simply reversing what he does whenever a black victim goes unreported on the CNN ticker.

As for all black victims, the reason such cases would make the news as race incidents is that there's such a long, long history of racist violence against blacks in this country.  That doesn't make it right to presume such a crime as you imagine would be motivated by racist hatred, but it's certainly an understandable suspicion.  I don't think there's ever been a single mass murder of black people by whites in America that was not motivated by racism, which explains why the media would naturally speculate on racism for such crimes, and generally does not assume racism when there is an office shooting, a serial killer, or a missing persons case.