Author Topic: Anybody invested in precious metals?  (Read 2543 times)

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
Re: Anybody invested in precious metals?
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 05:10:44 PM »
Having some precious metals on hand isn't a bad idea.  Telling the world not only that you have it, but exactly how much and in what form...not so much.
Loose lips, gentlemen.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »
Having some precious metals on hand isn't a bad idea.  Telling the world not only that you have it, but exactly how much and in what form...not so much.
Loose lips, gentlemen.

If someone wants to go try to rob a bank vault to get it, they're welcome to. It's covered. Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
Ditto... There's plenty of concrete and steel between mine and the outside world.  grin

And some very irritable bank ladies too...  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 08:14:07 PM »
In all honesty, if the S hits the F bad enough and the sheep don't have guns and I do, I don't think I'm going to be trading so much as relieving them of their burden.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 02:22:26 AM »
In all honesty, if the S hits the F bad enough and the sheep don't have guns and I do, I don't think I'm going to be trading so much as relieving them of their burden.

Good to know. Still, that strategy will get you killed faster than almost anything else. And you'll deserve it.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 05:31:33 AM »

Good to know. Still, that strategy will get you killed faster than almost anything else. And you'll deserve it.

Ideally, in the form of a rope around the neck.  In a situation like that, I wouldn't want anybody to waste a bullet.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:55 AM »

Then you'd be a looter. And personally, if I saw a looter taking stuff from innocent people at gunpoint after a disaster, their first warning that I'd seen them would likely be a .308 from a distance.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 07:44:31 AM »
I'm thinking 20-50K rounds of ammo, plus the components and reloading tools to make at least that much would stand me well in the post-apocalyptic society, vs. a few silver or gold coins.  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 10:15:06 AM »
I'm not even thinking of precious metals in a SHTF context.  I'm only considering them as a hedge against inflation, the declining dollar, and hopefully a vehicle for appreciation.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 08:16:56 AM »
It's a better conductor,

Silver is a better electrical conductor actually.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
1) You can't eat it.

2) It's hard to move - my uncle's safe deposit box weighed over 180 pounds.

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »
I'm thinking 20-50K rounds of ammo, plus the components and reloading tools to make at least that much would stand me well in the post-apocalyptic society, vs. a few silver or gold coins.  grin

A couple of Kg of Cocaine or Herion probably stretch a lot further than precious metals.

I wonder what the shelf life is of those substances?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 07:13:05 AM »
I can see precious metals as an inflation shelter, but not as a SHTF precaution. Training and supplies would be far more valuable. If you offer me silver or gold for my supplies or services, I will politely refuse the trade while laughing inside.

True, but what about the post-apocolyptic post-barter pre-government stage of TEOTWAWKI?

WeedWhacker

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 03:08:44 AM »
During the Revolutionary - Civil War Era it was common to put a silver dime in a wound before bandaging.

Was that to prevent zombie-tude? 

Yup, silver has some antibacterial properties. Not sure how smart it would be to leave the dime inside a person, if they did that. Might cause some troubles getting through airport security. ;)
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.