Author Topic: OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?  (Read 2899 times)

telewinz

• friend
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »
In the Wizard of OZ (1939) what weapon did the scarcrow carry when they went after the Wicked Witch of the West?
Career Corrections

OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:57:04 PM »
I forget.

I do know this was a Political Satire written by Frank L. Baum.

I did a search and have yet to find the weapon either.

telewinz

• friend
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
You have to watch the movie, I've watched since I was five yet I just noticed last night, 47 years later!
Career Corrections

griz

• friend
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:38:04 AM »
You've got me curious now, what is it?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

griz

• friend
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:40:51 AM »
Oh great! Now I'm going to walk around the rest of the day singing if I only had a brain Tongue
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

onions!

OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:12:55 AM »
The only weapon I recall was the pike taken from the guards that they(Lion,Scarecrow,& TinMan) had just beaten up outside the castle.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »
I'm surprised you don't all know that the Scarecrow had a 8 3/8" barreled S&W in .357 Magnum.

Dorothy, being quite the traditionalist, had a Colt SAA in .32-20.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »
Re: Oz

Don't remember a weapon in the book either.

Actually I hated that movie.  I was the eldest sib, it always came on around some holiday. Back then we had BW TV , rabbit ears , 3 stations. So the first time or two was fine.  Then I had other sibs " oh the kids have to watch it" - I'd head out the door to play " you HAVE to watch it with them"  HUH?  Then they 'colorized ' it - okay what is the big deal seeing a 'colorized' version on a BW TV?  Then we got a color TV, ' Oz is on again and we have color now"....gimmee a break.  

Rawhide was a better show, Bonanza in color was neat.  Some stuff should never be colorized, and kids should not be forced to watch umpteen times a movie.  I also hate "Sound of Music".

Later on I read some of Baum's works. As usual the book is better than the Movie.  And folks wonder I have yet to replace my TV that finally broke.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 11:19:01 AM »
"Then they 'colorized ' it - "

Actually, it was never colorized.  The movie started out in sepia while Dorothy was in Kansas.  Once she reaches Oz, the movie switches to Technicolor.

From the website: "...the film was a technical marvel for its studio; "The Wizard of Oz" (officially MGM Production #1060) was a feast for the eye that featured rich sepia (instead of the customary black-and-white) for the scenes of Kansas in and around the Gale's farm, which was replaced by bright Technicolor® as Dorothy emerges from her transplanted home into the Land of Oz."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

telewinz

• friend
OZ...Scarecrow's weapon?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:15 PM »
Mike came REAL close. It's a weird looking revolver style weapon with a 4 inch barrel, satin aluminum finish in what looks to be caliber .38 Munchkin.  The scarecrow is holding it in his right hand in the scene before the flying monkeys attack them in the woods.  You never see it again.  Rent the movie, it took me 47 years to notice it.
Career Corrections