Author Topic: Unconvential European Travel Destinations requested  (Read 3008 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Unconvential European Travel Destinations requested
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
OK, as far as I can tell, I will be in Prague next semeter.  I am looking for some weekend trips to some unconvential destinations.  Sorry, Paris and London do not appeal to me.  Only requirements are that it is doable in a weekend, and entry/exit requirements aren't harsh (i.e., no visa rqts).

When I say unconvential, I want places that I would tell someone I was headed to, and their response would be along the lines of 'why would you want to go there' or 'do you have a death wish'.  I don't want to jump into the middle of a war zone, but I would not mind seeing what a politically unstable country is like. 

History and interesting architecture is most what I am interested in.  I'd love to do either St. Petersburg or Moscow, but the visa requirements look slightly daunting for a weekend trip.  One I am seriously considering is one of the Balkan States.  Always wanted to see Tiblisi too, for some unknown reason.

So, any suggestions?  Any suggestions for where to look for inspiration?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Unconvential European Travel Destinations requested
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:51:05 PM »
Transylvania...

And have you seen Hostel?

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
Transylvania...

And have you seen Hostel?

There's actually a castle you can stay at that belongs to one of the last living Counts. He lives there, too, apparently a very nice guy, and they're using tourist money to restore it. They have a servant pick you up at the city and everything, and it's not expensive in terms of US dollars or Euros. 

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »
Hmmmm......

That certainly fits my criteria.

And on Hostel, no, and I have no plans on seeing it Smiley

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
OK, as far as I can tell, I will be in Prague next semeter.  I am looking for some weekend trips to some unconvential destinations.  Sorry, Paris and London do not appeal to me.  Only requirements are that it is doable in a weekend, and entry/exit requirements aren't harsh (i.e., no visa rqts).

When I say unconvential, I want places that I would tell someone I was headed to, and their response would be along the lines of 'why would you want to go there' or 'do you have a death wish'.  I don't want to jump into the middle of a war zone, but I would not mind seeing what a politically unstable country is like. 

History and interesting architecture is most what I am interested in.  I'd love to do either St. Petersburg or Moscow, but the visa requirements look slightly daunting for a weekend trip.  One I am seriously considering is one of the Balkan States.  Always wanted to see Tiblisi too, for some unknown reason.

So, any suggestions?  Any suggestions for where to look for inspiration?

I HIGHLY recommend Sofia, best place in Eastern Europe in my opinion.  Bulgaria is a blast.  Only order "za gore ka" when you ask for beer.  Zagreb, Croatia is fun too.  A while ago, I could have gotten you an intro to various NATO forces.  Then again, I could have hooked ya up with various arms dealers in Sofia.  Anything you want.  AK's, RPG's, tanks, you name it.  Cash only, of course.

Pristine, Kosova.  UN occupied, if you wanted first hand experience with that lot.  If ya get in trouble tho, NATO forces have all the guns.

Belgrade, Serbia.  Fairly tame these days, but had a nice mini war and ethnic cleansing not that long ago.  You'd be fine in Belgrade.  Ya might have to deal with some BS to get a visa, as it's not in the EU, but the govt wouldn't do anything to ya as a US citizen.  They'd execute me on sight, tho.  So tell 'em I sent ya if ya want a tour of the State Security Special Forces' prison.

Macedonia is pretty boring.  Greece is nice if you like beaches and bad alcohol.  Poland is surprisingly nice. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »
Greece is nice if you like beaches and bad alcohol.

And cruise ships that either sink or have fires. Irony, that what was a culture of sailors has the worst record of losing cruise ships of any country.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
Does Finland do a tour of the border areas fought over in the Winter War?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:33:34 PM »
Pompeii is definitely worth the trip. Unfortunately, many of the Slavic countries were under USSR control when I was in Europe, so I can't attest to them. Marseilles was unique in it's own way. Of course, all of that was three decades ago. (Damn, I'm getting old !!)  shocked
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »
Slavic and Polish girls are HOT!!!  And they'll all want to practice their English on you.   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »
Kosovo is the place to go. My mom went and had a great time. The only time she was scared was when the UN gave her a driver because "he knows where the mines are" shocked
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »
Slavic and Polish girls are HOT!!!  And they'll all want to practice their English on you.

They can practice on me all night Smiley

Lot of good suggestions so far.  Transylvanian hotel runs about $70 a night with three meals.  One or more of the Balkan states is a good possibility.

How is driving around Eastern Europe?  Quick to get around Europe (I realize it is small, but how small is it really)?   Iceland is the only driving I have done outside of America/Canada, and its conditions wern't too unlike Michigan for road conditions.  And is there a Mapquest-like site for Eastern Europe?  Found a few for the west, but nothing central or east.

Also, is it bad of me to assume most international airports around the capitals are gonna be somewhat English (or German/French/Spanish) speaking?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
I do know that Romania speaks a version of Latin.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:51:29 AM »
Bavaria is right there over the border.  You can check out Berchtesgaden, which is pretty cool.  And then there is Munich.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 04:13:26 AM »
Nordschleife. At least 8 laps in the 2 seat sports car or sport bike of your choice.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »
Slavic and Polish girls are HOT!!!  And they'll all want to practice their English on you.   grin

and other things also.  I was in Poland in 2001, in you're American they will come flocking.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:07:01 AM »
My then-future wife & I really enjoyed Switzerland.  Jungfraujoch & the train ride up was fun...if you like trains and mountains.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
I am looking for some weekend trips to some unconvential destinations. 
One can visit Dachau . . . from what I understand, it's a sobering experience . . . especially when you realize that what happened there is still within living memory of some who survived it . . .

On a lighter note, does the BRNO factory give tours? How active are the gunmakers of Ferlach these days?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 07:11:56 AM »
Orly?
*catches plane*
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:43 AM »
Orly?
*catches plane*

pack your condoms...  Don't need to be pushy, the women will do all the hunting. Just sit in a pub, drink a beer and the women will be along shortly.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:16:59 AM »
Orly?
*catches plane*

pack your condoms...  Don't need to be pushy, the women will do all the hunting. Just sit in a pub, drink a beer and the women will be along shortly.

That's insane.  Don't people have better things to do?  Like get a mount in WoW?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

The Viking

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:45:41 AM »
The war memorials in Normandy?

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »
Actually visiting one of the concentration camps (Terzin, although not a death camp) for a class field trip.  Normandy is one I forgot about, that should be easy to get to.

pack your condoms...  Don't need to be pushy, the women will do all the hunting. Just sit in a pub, drink a beer and the women will be along shortly

Lemme guess, condoms expensive?  But I do like that picking up chicks strategy.  Worst that could happen is I sit in a pub all night drinking Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
pack your condoms...  Don't need to be pushy, the women will do all the hunting. Just sit in a pub, drink a beer and the women will be along shortly

Lemme guess, condoms expensive?  But I do like that picking up chicks strategy.  Worst that could happen is I sit in a pub all night drinking Smiley

No you want to make sure you have one when the time is right, English speakers in Poland and other Slavic nations are few and far between. Could you imagine trying to explain to a non english speaker that you need a box of Jimmys?

Uranus is a gas giant.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 11:17:34 AM »
Also makes sense.  Just having flashbacks to Iceland where they ran about $25 for a three-pack  shocked

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »
Also makes sense.  Just having flashbacks to Iceland where they ran about $25 for a three-pack  shocked

They really want people to procreate and have children there, or not have sex at all.

Uranus is a gas giant.