Author Topic: We're #1!  (Read 777 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
We're #1!
« on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:02 PM »
Oh wait, #1 on violent cities ISN'T good.  Detroit takes the spot back from St. Louis.  Flint is #3.  Yay for crappy Michigan cities: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21870766/
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
Re: We're #1!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:43:10 PM »
I don't understand the points of criticism in the article.

Quote from: FBI
These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region, the FBI said. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents.

I think people are more interested in where not to live if they don't want to get mugged or raped, than why there are so many muggers or rapists in a certain area.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: We're #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:19:10 PM »
I don't understand the points of criticism in the article.

Quote from: FBI
These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region, the FBI said. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents.

I think people are more interested in where not to live if they don't want to get mugged or raped, than why there are so many muggers or rapists in a certain area.

The complaint here in Saint Louis, is that our crime statistics are blown out of proportion.  Because most of  the metro area is in a separate county, or a different state, only the city itself is measured, yielding a much higher rate.  Supposedly, other city's crime rates include the out-lying areas, which have less crime.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife