Author Topic: Tinley Park, Cop Sued For Taser Shooting  (Read 4239 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Tinley Park, Cop Sued For Taser Shooting
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
TINLEY PARK, Ill. (STNG)  -- The owner of a Tinley Park pizza joint is seeking $2 million in damages from the village and a Tinley Park police officer who allegedly Tasered him this summer, sending the restaurant owner into convulsions and causing him to bite off a piece of his tongue.

Alexander Mendez, who with his wife owns Guardi's Pizza and Catering, 16711 S. 80th Ave., filed a lawsuit Thursday in the federal court. The couple said Officer Joseph Vega shot Mendez in the head and shoulders with a Taser gun as part of a failed prank last June.

Police Chief Michael O'Connell referred questions about the incident to village administration. Mayor Ed Zabrocki said the Taser shot was an accident and all Taser guns were recalled after the incident.

Vega was disciplined for taking the Taser gun out of his holster, Zabrocki said. Zabrocki said attorneys advised him not to provide any more details.

According to the lawsuit, about 9 p.m. June 15, Vega came to Guardi's and ordered pasta salad. When Mendez walked into the cooler to get the food, Vega asked Mendez's wife if she wanted to see Vega scare her husband. She said "no," according to court documents.

Then, Vega allegedly pointed the gun at Mendez's head and fired, causing the prongs to stick to Mendez's right temple and collarbone. Mendez went into convulsions and later became unconscious. He also bit off a piece of his tongue, the lawsuit said.

Vega is accused of immediately removing the Taser prongs, which caused Mendez to bleed profusely. Vega then called for back-up, and a supervisor and two detectives showed up and confiscated bloody towels, Mendez's bloody glasses, the Taser prongs and the video surveillance equipment in the restaurant, the lawsuit claims.

Reading a prepared statement, Zabrocki said Vega was conducting a routine check on the business when he noticed his Taser safety deactivated. While resecuring it, the Taser accidentally discharged, striking Mendez in the head and chest and knocking him to the ground, Zabrocki said.

Mendez was sent to a local hospital, treated for his injuries and released the next day, Zabrocki said.

Vega "suffered a stress reaction" and was sent to the hospital and released, the mayor said.

http://www.wbbm780.com/Tinley-Park--Cop-Sued-For-Taser-Shooting/1219787

Police investigated the incident, recalled all Tasers issued to officers and sent the devices to Taser International Incorporated in Scottsdale, Ariz., to test for defects, Zabrocki said. All Tasers were returned certified and approved for continued use, he said.

All 79 of Tinley Park's police officers have a Taser gun, the mayor said.

Zabrocki said he could not comment on evidence collected at the scene.

Mendez and his wife continue to suffer physical and emotional pain and have lost income because of the incident, the lawsuit alleges. They could not be reached for comment.

A trial date has not been scheduled for the case

It accidentally went off.  And hit the guy in the head.  Accidentally.  Routine check.   rolleyes

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Tinley Park, Cop Sued For Taser Shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »

Ok, so you have two sides of an argument.

Pizza owner and wife says the guy meant it as a prank, apparently.  A prank involving shooting said pizza guy in the face with a taser, zapping him, ripping out the prongs, and impounding (probably destroying) all evidence.

Police officer's story is that he was thoroughly incompotent.  He's arguing that he was safetying his taser, WHILE AIMED AT THE PIZZA GUY'S HEAD!  And no explaination for impounding all of the evidence. 

Am I the only person thinking that even if you believe the officer's story, he deserves to be fired?  Either for incompotence and poor judgement (for zapping a pizza guy as a joke), or for incompotence and poor judgement (aiming at a pizza guy's head while safetying weapon).
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »
Excuse me while I whip this out. shocked
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
I guess thats considered a ND. Seems to be a rash of LEO tazer abuse lately. I think some of them are just getting lazy and don't want to have to move. They make all LEOs look bad and should be fired.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

atomd

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 01:28:41 PM »
Vega asked Mendez's wife if she wanted to see Vega scare her husband.

Sounds like it scared the tongue out of him! Next tuesday's special...Tongue pizza!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 02:02:31 PM »
If it happened the way the story lays it out there needs to be a serious round of spankings and a big ole check for the pizza chef and at least a couple of cops looking for work.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 05:25:05 AM »
I bet he wins and the cop loses his job.

win-win if I ever saw one.

See, cops can be just as dumb as the rest of society.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »
If the situation is ANYTHING at all like what the pizza owners said, the cop not only needs to lose his job, he needs to be prosecuted.

If the situation is ANYTHING at all like what the cop said, he needs to be fired.

In EITHER case, the police department ought to be writing the pizza shop owner a big, fat check.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:33:59 AM »
So I guess my question is where is the video surveillance equipment, the guy's bloody glasses, etc. that they are supposed to have confiscated?  That would be a good start.  If that stuff was in fact taken, it should clear up things pretty quick.  Assuming it didn't conveniently disappear.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:13 PM »
recalled all Tasers issued to officers and sent the devices to Taser International Incorporated in Scottsdale, Ariz., to test for defects, Zabrocki said. All Tasers were returned certified and approved for continued use, he said.

TRANSLATION:  The Police Department was trying to shift the blame to the device, and Taser found nothing wrong with any of them.

Mr. Mendez is going to own Tinley Park by the time this ends.

I'd like to see LawDog's take on this.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.