Author Topic: What good is an old cell phone?  (Read 2052 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
What good is an old cell phone?
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
My father-in-law found a cell phone several months ago.  For some reason, he gave it to me.  My local Sprint store says that it has not been reported lost or stolen, so I could use it.  But it wouldn't be worth getting a line with Sprint, when I already have service elsewhere.  If I could get a charger for the phone, could I use it to dial 911, even though it is not activated? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: What good is an old cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
Yes.

By law, all cellphones, even those without a contract, must be able to dial 911. Depending on the phone, some might connect to an operator, too, and let you call collect or with a significant per-minute charge. But all must be able to dial 911.

I take an old, powerful-signal analog StarTAC from the 1990's along with me hiking for that reason. It has much more range in non-digital areas than anything new.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:56:52 PM »
Thats why I still have a carphone. It can call 911 and is always charged.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:57:56 PM »
Many of the crisis shelters will take old (working) cell phones.  They hand them out as emergency-call phones to people who might not otherwise have a way to call 911.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
What kind of phone is it?  It may work with your network.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 02:48:05 PM »
Verizon says no.  It's a Sprint phone.  My wife's phone just took a trip through the Maytag, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
You can give it to a Women's shelter.  Do your bit for the beaten and abused.  Feel good about yourself despite what Riley says about you.
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Swamp Fox

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
You can donate it at almost any cell phone store. They will either recycle, reuse, donate to a shelter or dispose of safely. Better than filling up the landfill with toxins if you are never going to use it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:19:11 PM »
Well, they are fun to throw up in the air and shoot with a shotgun. (Remove the battery, of course!)

But, I reserve that for the phones that the battery has gone completely flat on. The ones that still have a usuable battery, we either keep them as spares or donate them. We don't have many that are servicable by the time we finish with them, anyway.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »
You can donate it at almost any cell phone store. They will either recycle, reuse, donate to a shelter or dispose of safely. Better than filling up the landfill with toxins if you are never going to use it.

So you think....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/18/electronics.trash.ap/index.html

Quote from: CNN
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Most Americans think they're helping the earth when they recycle their old computers, televisions and cell phones. But chances are they're contributing to a global trade in electronic trash that endangers workers and pollutes the environment overseas.

While there are no precise figures, activists estimate that 50 to 80 percent of the 300,000 to 400,000 tons of electronics collected for recycling in the U.S. each year ends up overseas. Workers in countries such as China, India and Nigeria then use hammers, gas burners and their bare hands to extract metals, glass and other recyclables, exposing themselves and the environment to a cocktail of toxic chemicals.

"It is being recycled, but it's being recycled in the most horrific way you can imagine," said Jim Puckett of the Basel Action Network, the Seattle-based environmental group that tipped off Hong Kong authorities. "We're preserving our own environment, but contaminating the rest of the world."

undecided
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:56 AM »
Verizon says no.  It's a Sprint phone.  My wife's phone just took a trip through the Maytag, so...

Dry the thing out. My has been dropped in the dog's water dish and retrieved quickly, and it went through the Fisher and Paykel too on the heavy duty cycle.  I yanked the battery and set it on top of my computer monitor to get a low level of heat for 24 hours or so.  Took about a day to dry out, still works great, didn't kill the memory.  Yes, I was surprised. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:01:55 AM »
My ex put hers through the washer and dryer once, and in the end we just replaced the battery with a new one and it worked fine.  And it was springtime fresh!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:25:58 AM »
Pop it open, find the digital output from the ADC after the radio section, and use a MAX232 chip to convert TTL levels to RS232 serial.  Then start logging data from the cell network.

At least, that's what I would attempt.  smiley

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 06:43:08 AM »

So you think....
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/18/electronics.trash.ap/index.html
Quote from: CNN
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Most Americans think they're helping the earth when they recycle their old computers, televisions and cell phones. But chances are they're contributing to a global trade in electronic trash that endangers workers and pollutes the environment overseas.

While there are no precise figures, activists estimate that 50 to 80 percent of the 300,000 to 400,000 tons of electronics collected for recycling in the U.S. each year ends up overseas. Workers in countries such as China, India and Nigeria then use hammers, gas burners and their bare hands to extract metals, glass and other recyclables, exposing themselves and the environment to a cocktail of toxic chemicals.

"It is being recycled, but it's being recycled in the most horrific way you can imagine," said Jim Puckett of the Basel Action Network, the Seattle-based environmental group that tipped off Hong Kong authorities. "We're preserving our own environment, but contaminating the rest of the world."

undecided

Want to see horrific recycling techniques, look at how they break ships at Alang, India. They basically just drive them up on the beach and let workers go at them with torches and prybars, getting hydraulic fluids and toxins all over themselves, causing fires, whatever. No safety standards at all.

The beach community looks like something out of Mad Max, too. All the places where the workers live and drink are made out of salvage from ships, so it's a mad assemblage of metal plating, interior wood paneling from ocean liners, portholes, hatches for doors, jury-rigged light fixtures from freighters and ocean liners both...

The magazine "The Atlantic" had an incredibly well-written story about what it's like there, the oily, smoky post-apocalyptic feel of the place, all overshadowed by the towering hulks of dead ships.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:28 AM »
I have to share my tip on resurrecting drowned handheld electronic devices. I have had very good luck in putting them into my forced-air food dehydrator for 24 hours.  I open or remove any battery hatches, covers or access ports to allow the warm air to penetrate into the interior of the device.  Back when the kids were still teenagers, they had a tendency to drown cell phones, Walkmen, digital cameras and I-Pods in the wash.  I had a pretty good success ratio in bringing them back. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »
Sorry, Nick, my Geek-to-English translator seems to be down.  Can you explain this in English please?

Pop it open, find the digital output from the ADC after the radio section, and use a MAX232 chip to convert TTL levels to RS232 serial.  Then start logging data from the cell network.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:09:15 AM »
Sorry, Nick, my Geek-to-English translator seems to be down.  Can you explain this in English please?

ADC= analog to digital converter

TTL= transistor to transistor logic

RS232 is a common serial input device to a computer

Hope that helps
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 07:57:43 AM »

ADC= analog to digital converter

TTL= transistor to transistor logic

RS232 is a common serial input device to a computer

Hope that helps

And a MAX232 is a microchip designed to convert TTL level signals to computer level signals.  Basically I'm jesting that you should patch your cell phone into your computer and take a look at the cell traffic, cause I personally would find it interesting.

In reality, while plausible, it would be very difficult to do, epically without some good test equipment (Oscilloscope, Logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer).  Ultimately, it may be easier to create the circuit from scratch.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »
By law, all cellphones, even those without a contract, must be able to dial 911. Depending on the phone, some might connect to an operator, too, and let you call collect or with a significant per-minute charge.But all must be able to dial 911. 

After a certain date of manufacture.  I think it might be 2003, but I can't confirm this.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.