Author Topic: Swat Teams  (Read 11608 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Swat Teams
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2007, 04:51:40 PM »
I live in a smaller town.  My goal is more to smile and say hello to officers and take any opportunity to get to know a few of them if possible.

I got to work with the country D.A.R.E officer a month ago and he was a great guy, as were a couple of the game wardens that stopped by the range.  Hearing them talk, they were equally as pissed off about bad cops and fully recognized that it made them all look bad. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
Heh... Most major cities are pretty much just as bad. If not worse. For instance, a cow-orker of mine got arrested (basically for DWB in a nice neighborhood - which he happened to live in... he was a PhD researcher...), and they habeased his corpus all over the place for a solid weekend. Why? Because they could.

First thing that makes me worry about a cop is "Is his head shaved?" Next is "Is he wearing a high and tight?"

Ossifers: This is NOT a combat zone.

Blog under construction

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2007, 11:39:47 PM »
Living in Portland where some of these incidents occurred, I can vouch.  Portland police are a scary damn bunch.  Think high school bully with a badge.  Sure, not all of them are like this, but you see enough excessive use of force cases to draw ugly opinions of their conduct.  Been like this for the 15 years I've lived here. 

I damn near had a lady officer run over my foot for standing off the sidewalk less than 1 foot at a crosswalk.  She threatened to take me to jail before I even knew what the hell I did wrong.  Vicious bunch, and yes, the buzzcut is a good indicator of the chestbeating response you'll get. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2007, 06:19:50 AM »
Coupla years ago, when lovely Wentzville was doing a special event, there was a serious traffic backup. All the way up one of the exits, and at least a quarter mile on a highway... I get to the bottleneck, and there are two cruisers and three officers watching a traffic light cycle. With no cars at all coming from three of the directions. I yelled over to ask "hey, are you guys going to direct traffic? You've got a dangerous situation here!" and one of the ossifers stalked over, all 5'5" of her, and proceeded to start asking for my papers, and commence a buttchewing... Then the light changed, and I pointed, and said "I better go - it's green" and left. I stopped and talked to a fellow who looked like chief type at the town center, but I don't figure anything happened. The highway was a darn scary thing, what with a curve, and the folks suddenly trying to get over...

Blog under construction

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
"A bully-boy LEO attitude just makes them more apt to fall for these things....  "

how so?  how is the attitude transferred to the 911 operators

"Dispatch, stand by on sending out an officer to investigate. We have to use these tactical black toys for something..."

Note: Not all LEO's are bully-boys. Most are good people---who stand by while the bully-boys increase in number and boldness. And the good ones are retiring fast. I'm nervous about the future of "law enforcement"...

so thats how it works in your imagination?  could you support your fantasy?  maybe even dazzle us with your background and experience?

Unfortunately, this thread (and a plethora of news stories) support my "fantasy".  sad

Why so offended with this line of thought? Something hitting too close to home?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2007, 03:47:08 AM »
"A bully-boy LEO attitude just makes them more apt to fall for these things....  "

how so?  how is the attitude transferred to the 911 operators

"Dispatch, stand by on sending out an officer to investigate. We have to use these tactical black toys for something..."

Note: Not all LEO's are bully-boys. Most are good people---who stand by while the bully-boys increase in number and boldness. And the good ones are retiring fast. I'm nervous about the future of "law enforcement"...

so thats how it works in your imagination?  could you support your fantasy?  maybe even dazzle us with your background and experience?

Unfortunately, this thread (and a plethora of news stories) support my "fantasy".  sad

Why so offended with this line of thought? Something hitting too close to home?....

could you quantify a plethora for me? especially vis a vis how it would relate to this
i'm not as slick i couldn't see the support for that statement . maybe its my computer cause it misses a lot. especially your response to
"maybe even dazzle us with your background and experience?"

one can only hope that this "Why so offended with this line of thought? Something hitting too close to home?...."
isn't indicative of the skill set we can expect. my experience is such that had i not retired i'd get my own page in ncic.
thats what makes me laugh when folks that i percieve as having lil real life interaction with law enforcement pontificate, its like what the guys in aa call the st patricks day and new years drunks..... amateur hour.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 01:25:04 PM »
cassandrasdaddy: I have quite a bit of experience working with law enforcement (through child protection, accident investigation, and mental health). And, while I have a lot of well-earned respect for LEO's, that respect doesn't change my observations both in person and in the news. Or my nervousness...

Congratulations on your "almost" getting a page on NCIC. You must be proud of that. I hope you've also earned the respect and admiration of non-LEO's like your neighbors, fellow church members, and others in your community. Many LEO's (esp. the younger ones) forget how important that is.....

Dazzled yet?....  undecided
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
Dispatch, stand by on sending out an officer to investigate. We have to use these tactical black toys for something..."

i would be dazzled by support for this statement  but i susperct this desire vtoo will go unfulfilled. i wasn't aware that the swat guys could self dispatch themselves to play with their toys. doesn't work that way here.  we do get higher ups trying to justify their kingdoms misusing the resource  on occaision   with tragic results but its not at all like you seem to imagine

nor is this "Congratulations on your "almost" getting a page on NCIC. You must be proud of that."  any moron can screw up not screwing up isn't that hard either mostly a decision

now this "I hope you've also earned the respect and admiration of non-LEO's like your neighbors, fellow church members, and others in your community." is a lil harder but not as difficult as some would make it seem

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2007, 02:57:16 PM »
Maybe the management (the guys sitting at the desks - or more likely, now that cell phones have got wide use, at home...) figures that they have to use the toys and the training occasionally in order to justify the budget, and subsequent requests for government grants, etc... Remember - paperwork is a work product for some folks.

Blog under construction

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:15 PM »
bingo to the man with the stache and glasses!!
  thats how you end up with swat serving warrants and a dead optometrist.
the more "missions" run the more men/money he gets  the bigger his kingdom is

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2007, 01:43:29 AM »
bingo to the man with the stache and glasses!!
  thats how you end up with swat serving warrants and a dead optometrist.
the more "missions" run the more men/money he gets  the bigger his kingdom is

...and the more news time you get....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-pokerraid_19met.ART0.North.Edition1.434471a.html
http://community.myfoxdfw.com/blogs/Nick-Charles/2007/12/03/Dallas_SWAT_Raids_VFW_Poker_Game_Video

SWAT teams assaulting a VFW charity event?....  rolleyes