Author Topic: Mountain House: Food that has lasted half a long lifetime  (Read 2057 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Mountain House: Food that has lasted half a long lifetime
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »
http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20070917.htm

The year was 1975. At that time many Americans were concerned that the Cold War with Russia could turn hot. People all over the country were building bomb shelters in their backyards and storing large quantities of food.

I was one of them. I didnt build a shelter, but I did order $10,000 worth of Mountain House freeze dried food to be delivered to my home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. When the shipment arrived from Oregon, my family sampled some blueberries which we all liked. After that the food was stored in the attics of our house and garage. There it rested until August, 2007.

My wife and I are in our 80s and our daughters, who live in Idaho, felt it was time we joined them. In August, 2007, we moved with all of our belongings and 227 cases of 37- year-old Mountain House freeze dried food.

First we opened a can of peas. The moment I heard the swish air flowing into the can and felt their pellet-like hardness, I was convinced no air had entered the can for 37 years. The peas were fine. We checked the blueberries and found them to taste exactly as we remembered them in 1975; the strawberries also kept perfectly. Since then we have twice served the scrambled egg mix. The added flavor of butter and salt were perfect to our taste.

Are we again approaching uncertain times that could affect the food supply? Will my decision to "stock up" during the Cold War 37 years ago soon be transformed from folly to fortune?

In any event, it is an honor to be in a position where I can safely say that freeze-dried food packed by Mountain House in 1975 (#10 cans, six cans per case), is still perfectly preserved after all these years.

Note: Several sources are reporting that food grains will be in short supply this year because farmers have planted so much government-subsidized, GMO corn for ethanol.

Paul James, 85, standing beside some 200 cases of Mountain House freeze dried food. Purchased and trucked all the way cross country from Oregon in 1975, this "mountain" of food was recently pulled down from where it was stored for 37 years. This photo was taken July 29, 2007, moments before the mountain was loaded into a moving van headed back across the country to Idaho

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Mountain House: Food that has lasted half a long lifetime
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »

Interesting, do they sell that kind of stuff these days?

Not that I fear the Soviet Union nuking us or anything, but I wouldn't mind shelf stable food that wasn't hideously expensive for hiking, camping and a buddy's cabin.  For obvious reasons, the electricity is turned off when the cabin isn't in use, so a deep freezer is out.  MRE's are hideously expensive.  So he mainly just keeps a case or two of canned goods (soups mainly).  A wider selection would be handy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
I think their good. My wife and I try to buy $500 to $1000  worth every year to put back for emergency. We only have a small supply so far but it's growing.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
Note: Several sources are reporting that food grains will be in short supply this year because farmers have planted so much government-subsidized, GMO corn for ethanol.

In other news, Chicken Little reported that the sky is falling.   rolleyes

Thinking about stashing several more cases of MREs at Casa de' G-98 in the event they're right...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »

In other news, Chicken Little reported that the sky is falling.   rolleyes

Thinking about stashing several more cases of MREs at Casa de' G-98 in the event they're right...

Yea, I pretty much second the chicken little aspect.  My own concerns are a bit more practical.  Snow storm, severe power outage, zombie invasion, etc.  Plus some of the hiking and kayaking I do is pretty far from the nearest market.

MRE's are a lil on the expensive side, and I have less than happy memories of living off them for prolonged amounts of time.  Plus I do not enjoy the discomfort caused when you mix MRE's with real food. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
A few years ago, when I was doing more camping with my Jeep club, I tried several types of MREs and Mountain House freeze-dried foods.

If the MREs were bad, the Mountain House crap was 50 times worse.

:barf:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »
I live on Mountain House when in the back country.  Tasty, filling, nourishing, and easy.  I keep telling myself that I should buy a few cases of their bulk stuff, "just in case."

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:18:54 PM »
little seasoning is all most of it needs.  we used to challege each other by as the german chef called it "from *expletive deleted*it we make marmalade"   hjad contests at work to see who could do the most with the least

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 06:48:29 AM »
freeze dried food is great for it's light weight, and packability, but you will still need a clean source of water.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »
freeze dried food is great for it's light weight, and packability, but you will still need a clean source of water.
Naw, you pack that in, too. Back in my Boy Scout days, everyone knew where to buy dehydrated H2O (just add water to use)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 07:14:44 PM »
I would recommend trying the various Mountain House offerings before buying any one of them in bulk.

Some are good, especially after a long day on the trail with a full pack. Others are pathetically bland.

I have heard a lot more negative stuff about mre's than Mountain House, thats for sure.

Having some of their stuff on hand in bulk is a good idea.

Water isn't an issue as long as you have a pot and fire usually.

If you don't have water for freeze dried food you have bigger problems than food, water is the elixir of life.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »
I have looked at freeze dried foods before, but never could find any information on how long they last.  Sounds like they last okay if kept sealed up.  I don't really want a lot of it, but a couple cases for hurricane preparedness would be useful. 

It also sounds like bottles of hot sauce, salt, etc are a must also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:25:29 AM »
A few years ago, when I was doing more camping with my Jeep club, I tried several types of MREs and Mountain House freeze-dried foods.

If the MREs were bad, the Mountain House crap was 50 times worse.

:barf:

I've gotta agree with you, Hawkmoon. The only Mountain House I liked was the eggs with ham (or was it bacon? hard to tell) and cheese. The rest of it...

I like the stuff from Natural High and... (crap, I can't remember the name... I can see it on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse...) much better.

Still pretty cool it lasted all that time.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ron

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »
I like the stuff from Natural High and... (crap, I can't remember the name... I can see it on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse...) much better.

I just looked on my shelf of backpacking stuff.

I have a few different Backpacker Pantry brand offerings, is that what you are thinking of?

With all of them I recommend trying them first before investing in any large quantity.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 07:21:22 AM »
I
have a few different Backpacker Pantry brand offerings, is that what you are thinking of?

Yep, that's the stuff.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot