Author Topic: Did I screw up, or am I missing something in the science?  (Read 3633 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Did I screw up, or am I missing something in the science?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 03:41:57 AM »
Back to the chemistry.  What happens to the water molecule which was created when the gas molecule was busted up?  Looks to me like the good professor flipped his wrist and water (vapor) disappeared and we focused on evil carbon.  I heard from somewhere water vapor is a greenhouse gas the same as carbon <insert descriptor of choice>.  I also heard from somewhere water vapor is the dominant greenhouse gas in the soup that is earth's atmosphere.  Furthermore I heard somewhere water vapor appears no where in any of the models which predict global warming.  And since I used to travel to Arizona on a regular basis during the summer (no, I am not really that smart) I know how effective water vapor is in COOLING THE FREAKIN' LOCAL ENVIRONMENT.

Just a few musings from a screamin' skeptic.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Iain

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 04:06:16 AM »
You need to read about feedbacks and forcings, essentially water vapour is a feedback.

Water vapour and clouds are included in GCM's, this is a frequently repeated allegation.

You're not sceptical if you believe everything you read or hear 'somewhere'.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 04:37:09 AM »
Water vapor does contribute to global warming, indirectly.  From what I know, it IS a factor in the models.  Water vapor can actually help cool the environment if it gets made into clouds, but that's a seperate process. 

Part of the confusion in regards to water vapor vs. carbon dioxide is that it's not really possible to say "This amount of water vapor is responsible for this amount of warming" because the effects arent additive. (This is one of the reasons some people think that human contributions to global climate change arent' as bad as established science says.)

Every gallon of gas creates about 8lbs of water, so the effects of water vapor ARE taken into account in the climate models.

Now, the way greenhouse gasses work is because they basically absorb heat.  Water vapor absorbs heat, which is one of the reasons it's good at cooling.

I know, that sounds conflicting, but a basic explanation:

Basically, the greenhouse effect is when gasses in the atmosphere absorb reflected heat from the sun, trapping it in the atmosphere, warming it.

In smaller environments, like after a rainstorm, or using a swamp cooler, the water in the air absorbs heat by evaporation, making the area cooler.  The heat has to go somewhere
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM