Author Topic: Spanish-Speaking Workers Challenge English-Only Policy  (Read 2976 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Spanish-Speaking Workers Challenge English-Only Policy
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 07:58:22 AM »
Back when I was a student working a part-time job in a manufacturing plant, all the Mexicans decided to have a "Day of Spanish" during which they would speak only Spanish on the job, to dramatize the "plight" of those for whom English is a second language.

Mind you, they KNEW enough English to get by on the job, they just wanted special treatment.

So when they stated jabbering at me in Spanish . . . I replied in Lithuanian.

When that didn't work, I tried Russian and then German.

When the other workers saw this, it was like a light going off . . . and suddenly the Spanish speakers found themselves addressed in Polish, Hindi, Norwegian, Swedish, Welsh, and some languages I didn't recognize.

They were not amused . . . but IMHO the best way to deal with these "Spanish in the Workplace" advocates is to encourage everyone else who speaks another language (besides Spanish!) to address them in that language, rather than English.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 09:34:21 AM »
I do the same for the undocumented Mexicans at my workplace - in German.  Mind you, they know English quite well, but play the "no habla ingles" bit too often.  I've also learned how corporate America works with respect to non-residents. They're hired via the temp agencies, so that if La Migra shows up, my employers can disavow any knowledge of their status, blaming the temp agencies. We live in interesting times.   shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »
"it was like a light going off"

What, you all got really dim all of a sudden?  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
"it was like a light going off"

What, you all got really dim all of a sudden?  laugh
No, I'm showing my age . . . remember FLASHBULBS? And MAGICUBES?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
"But today we have 3rd generation citizens that don't know english, and I have a problem with that."

3rd generation? where? by 3rd they go to us schools and don't try? what area do you encounter this?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
"Te hables espanol?"

"Gabh mo leisgul, chan eil mi gad tuigsinn."   laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin