Author Topic: Who Else Dislikes CSI:Wherever/Cold Case/(Insert_Other_Cop_Show)  (Read 2287 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
We recently obtained better reception for our idiot box and are now able to get more than PBS without a blizzard of static.  I don't feel I have gained much.

I had the displeasure of catching a few shows as I was laid up from a recent sinus infection (normally, I work projects around the house in the PM: paint, reload, whatever).

I caught "CSI: Somecity" and "CSI: Someothercity" as well as this show called "Cold Case" and another FBI missing person show.

First off, this night must have been "right-wing looney" night. as all the antagonists were either abortion clinic bombers living underground, gun/explosive nuts with sociopathic sons, and the like.  I was reminded of John Derbyshire's words, "All pop culture is filth."  Add to that:  it is leftist propaganda.

Second, nearly every top cop turned out to be some guy so arrogant and obnoxious, I was hoping would they would get killed.   "Oooo, maybe red-headed obnoxio-freak will fall into the water and get eaten by sharks, thus putting him out of my misery."  No such luck.  About the only sympathetic character was this freaky black-haired/tattooed chick in the Navy/CSI/whatever show.  

And while I'm at it, I might as well take a swipe at that piece of unadulterated horse manure, "Judging Amy."  It trots out every liberal shibboleth from the all-knowing social worker to the wise female family-law god/judge, to the gangsta-who-just-needs-a-hug to the wife-beating hubby caught by the omniscient social worker....and so on.  Oh, don't forget the adolescent girl who is an activist for lefty causes.

It just confirms my Three Basic Rules for Television Watching:
1. Never watch a show which has cops, lawyers or judges as main characters.
2. Never watch a show which has doctors, nurses, or other healthcare workers as main characters.
3. Never watch a show which has civilian governement beauracrats as main characters

Thank the Almighty for broadband, good books, and firearms-related activities.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TarpleyG

• friend
Who Else Dislikes CSI:Wherever/Cold Case/(Insert_Other_Cop_Show)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:03:17 AM »
You know what--sometimes you just gotta realize it's all make-believe and there for entertainment and amusement.  Who cares really?  The people that remain glued to the idiot box will be the first ones gone when the going gets rough and the fewer of them around, the better.  Yes, I watch TV and movies and yes, the entertain me.  Yes I get frustrated but my wife constantly reminds me to not sweat the small stuff.

Greg

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:09:08 AM »
Yep, can't stand any of those kind of shows. I'd rather perform dental work upon myself with a Dewalt hammer drill...

In fact I can't stand television in general. I pretty much only stick to movies.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 09:11:46 AM »
I've never really warmed up to CSI.

I LOVE Law and Order.

I ADORED Homicide, Life on the Streets. I think that was the most brilliant cop show ever done.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »
I like CSI, though Miami is my least fav.  I don't care for any of the other cop shows.  For that matter, I don't care for most of what's on TV.  I've barely watched TV since the end of the season.  

Chris

BobCat

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »
These shows (e.g. CSI) show police forensic professionals spending many, many hours (as long as it takes) on each case - anything to get at the truth!  I wish...

Living near Houston, with a crime lab in disgrace owing to lack of funds/direction/leadership, and a number of convictions possibly about to be thrown out on account of crime lab techs "dry labbing" results, the dissonance is amazing.  I don't know about other cities' crime labs, but doubt if any of them have the resources that the TV  crime labs boast.

Better to read a book, reload ammo, brush the cats, or do chores - than watch too much TV.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
Quote from: BobCat
These shows (e.g. CSI) show police forensic professionals spending many, many hours (as long as it takes) on each case - anything to get at the truth!  I wish...

Living near Houston, with a crime lab in disgrace owing to lack of funds/direction/leadership, and a number of convictions possibly about to be thrown out on account of crime lab techs "dry labbing" results, the dissonance is amazing.  I don't know about other cities' crime labs, but doubt if any of them have the resources that the TV  crime labs boast.

Better to read a book, reload ammo, brush the cats, or do chores - than watch too much TV.
A reality based CSI would be rather boring.  Kind of like a reality based anything.  Would you watch a show called "Your Shitty Job"?  Smiley

After I read, reload, brush the dog, play with my kid, help with dinner, do yard work, etc, TV is a brief escape and chance for me to catch my breath.  At a mere 3hrs a week when new shows are being broadcast, I think I'm on the light end of TV consumption. Smiley

Heck, you can only watch so much TV when you don't have cable or satellite.

Chris

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 12:49:27 PM »
I hated all of them at first.  I still hate the fact that many people think these shows accurately represent reality.  I can now tolerate them if there's nothing better on.  Some friends told me they like watching West Wing, so I checked it out, twice.  If you like really boring shows where everyone talks abnormally fast, it's your cup of tea.  I couldn't stand it.  I guess I just don't like TV drama in general.
For entertainment purposes only.

HForrest

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 02:35:58 PM »
You know what--sometimes you just gotta realize it's all make-believe and there for entertainment and amusement.  Who cares really?
It's cause a lot of people are imprinted on by TV... they believe what is on it. Thus, if there is a general direction of idea the show is going in... for instance "Cops are the good guys, right wing gun-loving extremists are the bad guys", or something like that, some people consciously or subconsciously accept it as reality, or it at least makes a real-life impression on them. Shows, even if they're fiction, can still be full of political and social messages.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »
I gave away my long-unused television a couple years ago. I haven't missed it for a seventeenth of a skosh of a nanosecond.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

...has left the building.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
Like others, I just use my TV as my DVD and PS2 monitor...even though I have digital cable :confused:

TNGO

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 10:25:35 PM »
CSI: the shows suck but they've got great theme songs.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 01:38:19 PM »
While working for a tv station, I came to the realization that almost all network tv shows fit in one of the following categories:

1)Cop show.
2)Lawyer show.
3)Medical show.
4)Angsty family drama show.
5)Fat dumb slob married to brainiac hottie sitcom show.
6)Reality show.

As a result, the only television I watch on a regular basis is the Adult Swim block of programming on Cartoon Network.  Say what you will about it's intellectual level, but Aqua Teen Hunger force is at least something different* than the same drivel the networks have been rehashing since the mid 1960's.

*It's also much funnier than any ten network sitcoms combined.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 05:07:42 PM »
My rule of thumb is that if something isn't constantly getting blown up, someone isn't constantly getting shot at or beaten up, or if there are no fast cars or hot women, nothing is being built or destroyed, it isn't worth watching.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 02:00:14 PM »
Ever noticed how; in a lawyer show, the the lawyers solve all of the crimes; in a cop show, the cops solve the crimes; in a forensics show, the forensic scientists spend equal amounts of time at the lab, at the scene, and directly confronting suspects as if they were homocide detectives - and they always solve the crimes?

Ever notice how there don't seem to be many television shows anymore where an independent citizen good-guy (such as the Lone Ranger) packs a gun, and instead you can only have a gun if you're a govt. employee or a criminal?

Then again, I haven't had a television for years.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife