Author Topic: Good luggage?  (Read 1937 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Good luggage?
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:50:06 PM »
I'm sick of luggage where the side or top handle rips off, the telescoping handle falls out, the wheels stop turning, and the zipper binds up after just a few trips. I've been trying to find something at a suitable place on the price-to-quality curve but the lack of many good, objective reviews on luggage is leaving me with no idea what to buy.

Brands like TravelPro and Eagle Creek get excellent reviews all over for durability/quality, but are both pretty pricey. Does anyone know of some good stuff that's quality enough for traveling several times / year, but not so high-priced? I've currently got Olympia brand luggage, and it exhibits all the problems I first complained about. Anyone had any experience with Skyway luggage?

yesitsloaded

• friends
Re: Good luggage?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »
I have Eagle Creek and it is so worth it. It has been to Ukraine and back as well as around the country handled by who knows.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
I have Eagle Creek and it is so worth it. It has been to Ukraine and back as well as around the country handled by who knows.

Which of their lines do you have?

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:36:54 PM »
I have a packable duffel and a Load Warrior LT.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
I have an Eagle Creek backpack. Highly recommended.  They aren't so terribly expensive when you consider that one is all you'll ever need.

I think REI makes a few travel packs under their in-house brand.  Never used one, but I'd guess they're just as well made as Eagle Creek for a few pennies less.  That's worth looking into.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
REI luggage is good stuff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:57:14 PM »
The Costco Kirkland Signature luggage is considered to be of the same quality as Tumi for considerably cheaper.  I have several pieces and it is far better than my Samsonite luggage made several years ago.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
Seconding Kirkland Signature.

Travelpro really is worth the $$$ if you travel a lot, though.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 10:55:44 PM »
Or...

Guys, there's those things called Duffel Bags. Get the military surplus kind. They hold a bunch, the handles WON'T rip off, and they don't get stolen. They're lockable, and if you have something that needs to be in a hard case, well, they're big enough to hold it.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 03:56:07 AM »
We bought a pair of Dockers brand rolling garment bags last year.  I was surprised, they are pretty stout.  Heavy duty fabric, heavy duty zippers, tough wheels and handles.  We used them about 6-8 times this year and they show no signs of wear or abuse.  Got them from Kohl's.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 04:37:12 AM »
I bought an Eddie Bauer brand suitcase in 1999, it is the kind you can put suits in and fold in half, sort of hard sided. Its been on 4 flights and numerous road trips and nary any wear.

I have Samsonite rolling duffel, one flight to Montana in 2005 and it was beat up with corners frayed, etc.

The Eddie Bauer one was also on that flight and nothing happened to it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 04:42:58 AM »
Or...

Guys, there's those things called Duffel Bags. Get the military surplus kind. They hold a bunch, the handles WON'T rip off, and they don't get stolen. They're lockable, and if you have something that needs to be in a hard case, well, they're big enough to hold it.

Always wanted one of those.  Whar can I get one?  (online?)
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 06:00:00 AM »
Years upon years ago I bought a set of cheap "Jaguar" branded luggage from Sears. Still have all of it, it's all still in good shape.

Granted, it's only been on a plane twice, but it's been squeezed, pressed, crammed, scraped, etc. on innumerable road trips.

I think the key is to look at the stitching and fabric, get something with wheels that are solid-pinned on both sides (no single-sided axles), and metal zippers (keep 'em soaped up nice too). Mine are triple-stitched material that looks like tightly woven burlap.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 06:02:09 AM »
I've never seen the point of buying expensive luggage that's going to go through baggage handling.

It's like buying a new Lexus to drive a demolition derby.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 06:21:21 AM »
I've never seen the point of buying expensive luggage that's going to go through baggage handling.

It's like buying a new Lexus to drive a demolition derby.

IMHO the point is for it to survive baggage claim.  I don't care if it gets scuffed or scratched, but it better not bust open when some high school dropout union worker decides to sit on my wifes overstuffed bag.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 06:27:14 AM »
IMHO the point is for it to survive baggage claim.  I don't care if it gets scuffed or scratched, but it better not bust open when some high school dropout union worker decides to sit on my wifes overstuffed bag.

That's my main focus as well. I don't mind 'purty' luggage getting scuffed and scratched. I'm mostly concerned with it staying fully functional and intact through all the abuse heaped upon it by various luggage machines, knuckle draggers, in-travel jostling, getting dropped, yanked, smashed, walked around for miles, etc. I have yet to own cheap luggage that can put up with the typical abuse of traveling.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »
No, it's not.

Travel Pro is the default luggage for the airline industry.  My company gives each new pilot and flight attendant a Travel Pro roll-aboard and the FAs also get a small duffel.

The roll-aboards typically last about a year to a year and a half, which is past the warranty date.  The failures include wheels falling off, fabric handles breaking, telescoping handles breaking, and zippers breaking.  My last Travel Pro made it 11 months before both grab handles had torn off, the wheels began to seize, and the telescoping arm refused to operate without being coaxed into position by a sledge hammer.

If you only travel once a month, then the Travel Pro may last for a few years.  Odds are it won't.

If you want luggage that lasts and that can take a beating, get this: http://www.stopoverstore.com/product/detail.cfm/pnid/355/pnid2/363/nid/365/pid/30

Yes, it's expensive.  And it is heavy, since it has a metal frame.  They are made with a plastic frame, but I've never seen one, so I can't comment.

The pluses: bullet proof.  If something does break, you can get replacement parts that you can replace yourself.  You won't need to send it off for work.  In the 5 years I've had mine, the only parts I have replaced are the cushion material on the pull handle and the wheels.  The bags use standard inline skate wheels, so you can replace them with all kinds of wheels.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
In old movies, people have hardsided luggage. Why did that fall out of favor?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 01:56:51 PM »
In old movies, people have hardsided luggage. Why did that fall out of favor?

Actually I really don't know an answer to this question.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
No, it's not.

I must have had a better than average set; I've had a roller bag I use for work every day. It's 4 years old and besides looking scuffed, it's in great shape.

I traveled every week for about a year and a half using a travelpro bag and it served me very well, but upon looking at your link, if I have to buy luggage again, I'll check 'em out.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »
I have a large hardside Samsonite that works well. It was reasonably priced. Hardsides work well if you have breakables in your luggage.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »
When we fly, we get cardboard boxes and fill 'em up and take 'em to UPS and ship 'em where we're going.  Costs a little money, but stuff does not get lost and it's waiting there when you get there.

Makes flying easy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
Used to do that on Fridays... If the consultant had family at home, we'd offer to ship their stuff... Made for a light trip back.

If you know where you're staying, go for it. Always make sure you id the package is for a guest. If possible, put arrival date on the package, preferably in big letters.

John Smith Hold for Reserved Guest
Acme Inn
123 Paradise Point
Quietspot, NJ 33333

Blog under construction