Author Topic: What is a good football game for the PC?  (Read 999 times)

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
What is a good football game for the PC?
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
I haven't played any computer/video football games since the demo for the first John Madden football for DOS.  My favorite was 4th & Inches for the Commodore 64 that came out in the late 80s.  Recently I've got the inkling to get a football game from my PC, but don't know anything about the current state of things.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one.  By "good" I mean an emphasis on tactics, play calling, and realism, over skill in hitting buttons at the correct instant.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: What is a good football game for the PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »
The Madden series is pretty good but the gameplay emphasis seems to be shifting from a focus on team management, strategy and plays to hand eye coordination click fests for those that prefer controlling a player directly.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:04:11 PM »
Football for the PC?  You mean the teams and cheerleaders would be of both sexes, and with diverse racial and social backgrounds? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
Ok, I blame Fistful for derailing this thread.

(Daily Fistful blame = Allocated)

Anyhoo, Madden 2004 was a fine example of a good PC football game.  Microsoft NFL Fever 2000 was good, if a little... unfinished. 

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »
Football for the PC?  You mean the teams and cheerleaders would be of both sexes, and with diverse racial and social backgrounds? 

This might be one of the funniest things I've ever read.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:41:51 PM »
Is it possible to just call plays on Madden 2004?  Or do you have to take control of individual players?

That reminds me, in 1992 in my high school in the S.F. Bay Area (but in a relatively conservative part), there was a girl named Tanya Meyer on the Freshman football team.  They had to unlock the girls locker room just for her.  I think she only played one season, and I don't remember her at the school at all after that.

I just looked her name up on a 'net search, and found someone with the same name and at the right age who was murdered in Wisconsin, except the one I remember looked like a butch dyke in high school, and this one had been married with kids.  I wonder if its the same person.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=160159&format=print

Sheboygan shooting ruled murder-suicide

Sheboygan - The shooting deaths of a Sheboygan woman and her boyfriend were apparently the result of a troubled relationship, police said Tuesday.

Sheboygan police determined that Shannon Thiel, 28, shot and killed his girlfriend, Tanya Meyer-Garcia, 24, before shooting himself.

Detective Don Sorensen said the murder-suicide occurred Sunday night and the bodies were found Monday morning by Meyer-Garcia's roommate.

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5XO_Tk5HOS4AGjZrCqMX;_ylu=X3oDMTBvdmM3bGlxBHBndANhdl93ZWJfcmVzdWx0BHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=120sgu7qd/EXP=1196400703/**http%3a//www.wcadv.org/%3fgo=download%26id=261

August 3
Tanya
Meyer-Garcia
24 years old
Sheboygan
Sheboygan County
Tanya Meyer-Garcia was shot and killed in her apartment by her
boyfriend, Shannon Thiel, 28, who then committed suicide. She was
18 weeks pregnant at the time of the homicide and the fetus did not
survive. Tanyas roommate found the bodies.
After the homicide, friends and family of Shannon reported that
Shannon and Tanya had broken up and recently gotten back together.
Shannon was also described as a hothead who was jealous and had
stalked Tanya. In the months prior to the homicide, he had talked to
friends about having suicidal thoughts and had indicated that if he
were to kill Tanya, he would kill himself too.
Shannon Thiel left a suicide note in which he blamed Tanya for
causing him to kill them both.
Tanya is survived by two young children who were with her exhusband
at the time of the homicide.