Author Topic: The green chili slopper: an icon passes away  (Read 2808 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
The green chili slopper: an icon passes away
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »
"John "Johnnie" Greco
Thursday, July 07, 2005
John "Johnnie" Greco, 93, passed away on July 6, 2005. He was born on Jan. 1, 1912, in Vineland, to the late Giuseppe and Maria Greco. John is survived by his loving wife of 71 years, Sylvia; and children, Joe (Diane) Greco and Shirley Delahoyde. Grandfather of Terri (Greg) Hellem, Gina (Kevin) Knaack, Mike (Suzanne) Greco and Dean Frankmore. Great-grandfather of Greg and Michael Hellem, Sarah and David Bustamento, Kevin and Max Greco and Dominic Frankmore. Also survived by sisters-in-law, Leona Vernon and Sadie Tishma; and many loving nieces and nephews. Preceded in death by five sisters, Caroline Pinelle, Frances Tortessi, Vince Pisciotta, Josephine Pullara and Lily Musso; three brothers, Charlie, Joe and Gus Greco; granddaughter, Susan Greco; daughter-in-law, Wilma Greco; and son-in-law, Tom Delahoyde. John and Sylvia owned Coors Tavern and Johnnie's Liquor Store for 48 years, where the original "Slopper" was created. Coors Tavern was sold in 1983, but Johnnie continued to visit daily. Johnnie was very active in the community. He was past president of the Jaycees, past president of the Liquor Dealers, and past president of Old Timers Baseball. Johnnie also was a member of Sertoma Club, Footprinters, TPA, Victor Elks, Eagles No. 145, and Fidelity Italian Lodge. He loved all sports and attended many sporting events: Bronco games, Air Force Academy games, high school games, Pueblo Dodger games, World Series, Indianapolis 500, and the first Super Bowl game. Johnnie was inducted into the Pueblo Sports Hall of Fame in 1988. He will be missed greatly by family and friends. Visitation, 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, at the funeral home. Funeral Mass, 10 a.m. Monday, St. Patrick Church. Entombment, Roselawn Mausoleum. In lieu of food and flowers, donations may be made to a charity of your choice in Johnnie's memory."

The Green Chili Slopper is a Pueblo icon.  Its inventor passed today.

Picture this (if your heart can take it).  A double cheeseburger, served open faced, covered with french fries and lettuce, and then, green chili poured over the top.  Washed down with a Coors, of course.

I didn't know Johnnie, but was well acquainted with his brother Charlie, who owned a bar in Vineland named, of all things, Greco's.  Charlie's widow, Dorothy, remains a close family frind.

The "Slopper" remains a Pueblo secret.  Please don't pass this on.

http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1120790316/17

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:12:45 PM »
Rest in Peace, Johnny.  The old guys are the best guys 'cause they saw it all, from buggies to cars, from walking to walking on the moon, from gas lights hanging on the wall to recessed indirect electric lights, from two holers to indoor flushers, from coal and wood to gas, from ice blocks delivered every other day to stainless steel refigeration, growing yer own to supermarkets.  What a great life they lived!  Plus they saved our behinds on more than one occasion and never, ever bragged about it.

Regarding the "Slopper":  I think I just felt a lump of grease let go in my right ventricle.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 03:56:20 AM »
Except for the Coors, I'd definitely give the slopper a try. Would they happen to have Bud or Miller?

Kharn

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »
Quote from: Kharn
Except for the Coors, I'd definitely give the slopper a try. Would they happen to have Bud or Miller?

Kharn
Actually, a slopper goes quite well with water or iced tea.  I really don't care for beer with a meal, regardless of what I said above. Wink