Author Topic: heating oil  (Read 988 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
heating oil
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
I need to take a heating oil tank out of a friends house. The previous owner changed to gas and left the tank in the basement. Half full at that. How long does oil last? I have to drain it either way. I want to either burn in it my garage (oil hot air furnace) or if its good enough put it in my truck (yes i know its not legal) but neither is charging 3.39 a gallon for diesel. So I hopping this works out like winning the lottery for me.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: heating oil
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
Should work fine for the garage. I'd worry about burning it in the truck tho... How are you planning on transferring the liquid? 5 gallon cans could take a while...

Blog under construction

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »
ATSM specs for Diesel say it's good for 1 year. 

If it smells like rotten eggs, or doesn't look right, it's been in the tank too long.

If it's older than 1 year, it can pretty well be usable, You might want to consider getting the fuel "Polished" meaning, getting it filtered and processed.
I know marinas tend to do it, but outside of that, I'd have no idea where to get it done.

EDIT: IF it's dyed, like they do for Kerosene, you might have an issue getting any of this done.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »
Watch out for the sludge at the bottom, I've seen guy suck the sludge out of the old tank and put it in the new one. Mostly because they're stupid. That'll mess up pretty much anything you put it in.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
Yep 5 gallon cans. Might take a while. I'm going to pump it off the top not drain it from the bottom. If it truly is crap I still think a friend of mine can burn it in his garage. He has a commercial waste oil burner. The thing will burn gear oil. Pretty impressive actually. 500,000 btu's he works in shorts and tshirt in the dead of winter. All this with the door open half the time. MMMMM toasty.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:08:16 PM »
Another problem with old fuel oil is that it can be contaminated with bacteria. I think machine dealerships sometimes have the equipment to filter and test the fuel (like a Cat, Deere, etc dealership). The dye shouldn't bother them since they deal with off road machinery all the time.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
An automotive electric fuel pump isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it works.  Measure the depth of the tank, and have the end of the intake tube/pipe no lower than some four inches above the bottom.  Using jerry cans is good, as you can fairly easily see if there's gunk.

If you pump the first small bit through a shop rag, you can see if you're getting anything bad.

I've used diesel from my overhead storage tank that was at least three years old, and it had lived through summertime desert high temperatures.  No problem in my backhoe.
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 04:37:06 AM »
You can probably get a drill driven pump for a reasonable price.

Northern Tool and Equipment
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 06:37:29 AM »
I'd burn the old stuff in my garage furnace.

Then I'd buy fresh stuff "for the furnace" and use that in my truck. Surprised you're not doing that already.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
Are we talking about kerosene (coal oil) or heating oil?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »

Then I'd buy fresh stuff "for the furnace" and use that in my truck. Surprised you're not doing that already.  grin
I like the way you think.  Er, I am horrified at the very thought!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »
Well I sucked 5 gallons out of the tank today. It still smelled like heating oil, not quite as strong though. But for some reason it has a brown color not red. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs or any thing like that.
What do you guys think?
A few months-mods

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

I like the way you think.  Er, I am horrified at the very thought!

guy in goldvein had 10 tanks  got several thousand gallons a month got caught   got slammed   both the seller and the buyer.  moral is dom't be too greedy  didn't help that he had a couple big rigs and the tanks were lined up and visible from the street

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
Yep 5 gallon cans. Might take a while. I'm going to pump it off the top not drain it from the bottom. If it truly is crap I still think a friend of mine can burn it in his garage. He has a commercial waste oil burner. The thing will burn gear oil. Pretty impressive actually. 500,000 btu's he works in shorts and tshirt in the dead of winter. All this with the door open half the time. MMMMM toasty.

heh.
Does he heat his house with it?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »

heh.
Does he heat his house with it?
No he doesn't live there. Its a regular commercial car repair garage. Its a self contained forced hot air type unit. I've never seen one you could install in a house. I guess you probably rig duct work to though.
A few months-mods