Author Topic: House Gremlins???  (Read 749 times)

Warhorse

House Gremlins???
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:02:20 PM »
We have lived in our present house for 42 years with remarkably few significant equipment or structural problems the entire time, with the single exception of substantial flooding due to a broken dishwasher hose 15 years ago (a story in itself) there was nothing I couldn't easily handle.

Recently, we made the decision to build and move to a new house that is all on one level because of my wife's knee problems making it painful for her to negotiate the stairs in this house.

Within a two month period from that decision, item after item began to fail as we were trying to get the house cleared out and presentable for sale. The 11-month old refrigerator had the fan bearings start to seize and the fan unit had to be replaced. The 9-month old microwave had the latch disintegrate, making it inoperative unitl I replaced it. The 2-year old oven igniter quit and had to be replaced. Five 12" square kitchen tiles cracked and the tiles were no longer made, requiring an innovative work-around. Two (2) windows in different parts of the house cracked and had to be repaired. One car quit, requiring some assorted engine/drive train repairs. Several other small items went haywire requiring repairs. Then, I found that at least three plywood sheets under our roof shingles were disintegrating and bowed down, requiring the whole bloody roof to be replaced (next week).

It doesn't seem to be stopping. It's as if something there is that doesn't want us to sell the house and move!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? I am rapidly going nuts trying to get the house on the market.

I am beginning to believe that Murphy was an optimist!

Warhorse
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: House Gremlins???
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:57:49 PM »
Elves, fairies, gremlins, house wights...
Lots of cultures have them, and all it costs me to keep them happy is a bowl of milk and honey set out every so often. Superstitious? You betcha. But, most folks have an invisible friend in the sky or two already, so, in for a penny, in for a pound, I say...

Of course, it could be you've just been lucky until now...
Hi.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »
Maybe the house is telling you NOT to move ?!?!?!?!
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:46 AM »
Watch Poltergeist and get back to us in the morning...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »
In all seriousness, it's been my experience that places can and do have personalities and inhabitants.  My own house has a ghost-kitty that wanders around it at night and sometimes curls up on the bed with BrokenMa and me.  There is...something...that lives in the woods at the north end of our property, and it has taken exception to certain people in the past, messing with them in various ways.

I believe it's entirely possible that people form connections with things and places that we've had or lived in for a long time.

Do you have any particularly strong emotions about letting the place go?  Or does your wife?  Reports of poltergeists have often been tied to emotionally-distraught teenagers in a home, but if either of you are upset about leaving, your emotional state may be contributing to what's going on.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Warhorse

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »
Broken Paw:

That's an interesting concept. You very well may have something there. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks

Warhorse
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »
Like Amityville only in reverse..

Getttt Innn, Gettttt Innnn!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams