Author Topic: Evel Knievel 1938-2007  (Read 876 times)

crt360

• friend
Evel Knievel 1938-2007
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:00:09 PM »
I just heard Evel Knievel died.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Evil Knievel 1938-2007
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
Saw that, too.  Amazing that he made it this long.  Something to be said for stubborness and sheer determination, I guess.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
Re: Evel Knievel 1938-2007
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »
I had to fix my spelling - couldn't remember if it was Evil or Evel.

The guy was nuts, but he was probably responsible for a lot of fun I had as kid jumping stuff on bikes and motorcycles.  Who else would have influenced me to see how may trashcans I could jump with my first bike (a rickety little orange thing with a banana seat) before learning the importance of a landing ramp?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
You can get the reproduction Evel Kneivel wind up motorcycle (made by the same people who makes Slinky).  I had one as a kid and it was a ton of fun until my kid sister got hold of it.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »
I had one of those, too.  One side of the handlebar broke off, so he did all of his stunts one-handed.  Definitely a favorite toy - I don't know what kept the wind-up thingy from wearing out.

atomd

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
RIP Evel. He was one crazy sob with balls of steel. There won't be another one like him. An American icon for sure.

"Though I walk through the Valley of Death, I fear no evil
Cuz I believe in Billy Jack, I believe in Evel Knievel!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 05:22:32 PM »
Evel was a hero of mine too.
I remember jumping crappy bikes, helmets were not even invented and how the whole neighborhood
would be devoid of kids because Evel was doing some jump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PKx2GlC7U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UBtaVgaw84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe8a7MHEqUo&feature=related
Toys used to be cool in the old days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvEvdAUZOUY&feature=related
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Rocketman56

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 06:48:22 PM »
Yes, read that earlier..

His nephew interned at the church in San Marcos, CA we used to attend before moving to the Midwest.. They are on a mission to
someplace in the Philippines, I think..  The men's group meetings used to be a lot of fun when he was there... The stories about
his uncle would leave you in stitches on the floor..  Sigh.. Good times...  We've lost a true American icon..

RIP, Evel Knievel..

Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »
     "Yup" to all of the above. There's an entire generation of American little boys who idolized and emulated him.

Only recently in reading and watching bio material on him did I find out that he had (careerwise) IMHO, one even more respectable trait, and one even more unusual trait than sheer bravery, and a third trait that was at least as unusual as sheer bravery.

a) He was a classic American entrepeneur: He was down and out...instead of going on the welfare dime or shooting himself, he found something of quality to sell and sold it - himself - not in a way that denigrated him or his customers, but in a way that elevated both.

b) He was a showman extrordinaire. My father's generation's version of P.T. Barnum. All the calculated "craziness" and hype wasn't designed by a marketing team, but by him, all by his lonesome.

c) He was smart. He knew his risks exactly, and he took them not out of stupidity, but as a calculated strategy that worked very well for him.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 08:25:28 PM »
Yes, read that earlier..

His nephew interned at the church in San Marcos, CA we used to attend before moving to the Midwest.. They are on a mission to
someplace in the Philippines, I think..  The men's group meetings used to be a lot of fun when he was there... The stories about
his uncle would leave you in stitches on the floor..  Sigh.. Good times...  We've lost a true American icon..

RIP, Evel Knievel..

Steve

Since you have secondhand knowledge, indulge my curiosity. He appeared to be, in his media image,

a) A kind, gentle, Christian, patriotic American..

..and in his bio image...

b) A crusty, earthy, profane, hard-drinking, hard-hitting man not averse to violence..

While I don't claim there can be no overlap between the two, I wonder if "A" or "B" is closer to what the stories your friend told of his uncle were like?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »
the importance of a landing ramp?
Apparently that's where I went wrong. I don't need no stinkin' landing ramp!

Damn near killed myself several different times because of Evel...  shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 01:55:49 AM »
I saw that this morning, with a headline I never thought I would see.

"Evel Knievel dies of natural causes"

I was a kid in the 70's and I used to do the same jumps he did, just on a smaller scale. 
Snake River Canyon was the big ditch across the field from us....

Rocketman56

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »
Stand_watie:
Since you have secondhand knowledge, indulge my curiosity. He appeared to be, in his media image,

a) A kind, gentle, Christian, patriotic American..

..and in his bio image...

b) A crusty, earthy, profane, hard-drinking, hard-hitting man not averse to violence..

While I don't claim there can be no overlap between the two, I wonder if "A" or "B" is closer to what the stories your friend told of his uncle were like?

Most of the stories involved his fun-loving side.. quite the practical joker, but not in a mean way.. usually with family as the "targets"..

Some stories that he "partied hearty" in his youth, but in his later years, that was a smokescreen..  I think the injuries made
him realize how important family and God were..  In private, he was closer to 'A'..  at least to hear his nephew talk about him..
(and I'm sure some of that was filtered through his nephew's own religious views..)  Hope that helps..

Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
You can get the reproduction Evel Kneivel wind up motorcycle (made by the same people who makes Slinky).  I had one as a kid and it was a ton of fun until my kid sister got hold of it.

Brad

I had that, too.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot