Author Topic: from yahoo: chimps smarter than humans  (Read 961 times)

zahc

• friend
from yahoo: chimps smarter than humans
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:44 AM »
Chimpanzees have come out tops in a human versus monkey battle-of-the-brains in Japan.

Researchers pitted young chimps against human adults in two tests of short-term memory, and overall, the chimps won.

The results challenge the belief that humans are superior to chimpanzees in all cognitive functions, said researcher Tetsuro Matsuzawa of Kyoto University.

"No one can imagine that chimpanzees - young chimpanzees at the age of five - have a better performance in a memory task than humans," he said.

Mr Matsuzawa, a pioneer in studying the mental abilities of chimps, said even he was surprised.

Results of the memory testing showed that while the chimps were no more accurate than humans, they were faster.

One test included three five-year-old chimps who'd been taught the order of Arabic numerals one through nine, and a dozen human volunteers.

They saw nine numbers displayed on a computer screen. When they touched the first number, the other eight turned into white squares. The test was to touch all these squares in the order of the numbers that used to be there.

Even after six months of training, the students still couldn't keep up with their chimpanzee competitors.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: from yahoo: chimps smarter than humans
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »
Japan?  So it was Soduku puzzles? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:16:13 PM »
Well of course the chimps did better....the human subjects were probably worring about being considered idiots if they let the chimps do better than them.....

...and worried they'd lose their jobs to primatization....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »

Groan.............. grin

They should stop teaching the chimpanzees so much. Next thing you know, those [Charlton Heston Voice] Damned Dirty Apes! [/Charlton Heston Voice] will be taking over the world!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:47:01 AM »

Groan.............. grin

They should stop teaching the chimpanzees so much. Next thing you know, those [Charlton Heston Voice] Damned Dirty Apes! [/Charlton Heston Voice] will be taking over the world!

Can't wait to hear the illegal aliens protest THAT.....  laugh
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.