Author Topic: You Just Cannot Make Up Stuff Like This  (Read 1576 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
You Just Cannot Make Up Stuff Like This
« on: December 04, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/content/gen/ap/OH_Bank_Robbery_Tuition.html

2 college students with tuition woes plead guilty to robbing bank
CINCINNATI  Two college students say the high cost of tuition led them to rob a bank.

The men pleaded guilty to two charges of aggravated robbery and six charges of kidnapping. They face 20 years in prison when sentenced Dec. 27.

Andrew Butler, 20, a student at the University of Toledo, told Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Steve Martin on Monday that tuition increases outpaced his scholarships and financial aid.

Christopher Avery, 22, a student at the University of Cincinnati, said he couldn't pay for summer classes after an internship at a grocery store fell through.

"I was strapped for cash," Avery said. "I thought I had nothing to lose."

A year at the University of Cincinnati costs about $9,400. It's nearly $7,000 at Toledo.

Armed with guns and wearing masks, Butler and Avery made off with $130,000 from a crowded Valley Central Savings Bank in suburban Reading on July 17, said Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor Brian Goodyear.

An attempt to rob a check-cashing business a day earlier was thwarted when the students couldn't get through the business' security system despite firing four shots at the bullet-resistant glass, Goodyear said.

The men were caught after trying to switch cars. A witness who thought they were acting suspiciously called police.

Both were being held in a county jail without bond.

___

December 4, 2007 - 7:52 a.m. EST

Just how hard is it these days to get a student loan?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: You Just Cannot Make Up Stuff Like This
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »
I thought I had nothing to lose

Nothing except 20 years  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

member1313

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
I'm in college, paying roughly the same (read: Financial aids pays for it; I pay most of it back when I receive a degree and cease being a student), and have not been "forced" into robbing a bank.

Besides, I'm a college student, and can't afford guns and masks to rob banks I don't have the time to rob in the first place because I'm studying so I can get a good job out of college so I can pay back my student loans like a normal college student.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:32:54 PM »
Well. At least they'll get a free education now...?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
Andrew Butler, 20, a student at the University of Toledo, told Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Steve Martin on Monday that tuition increases outpaced his scholarships and financial aid.

I guess it never occurred to them to do something like get a job. No, much better to rob a bank.

Rocketman56

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:26:21 PM »
Ah, Generation Y.. The generation of instant gratification..
(No, not all members of this generation are that way, but unfortunately way too many are..)

Sigh,
Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

The Viking

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
Well. At least they'll get a free education now...?
Yep, in the School Of Hard Knocks laugh.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
Ah, Generation Y.. The generation of instant gratification..
(No, not all members of this generation are that way, but unfortunately way too many are..)

Sigh,
Steve

Enough to give us all a bad name. undecided Actually, I'm 33, so I'm probably Gen. X so that don't apply to me. The short time I was in college, I was 10-13 years older than most kids I was in class with.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
I dropped out of high school and got my GED while serving in the Army.
I was trying to talk to a recent college grad about the civil war.
(In relation to modern gun control laws) he didn't know the difference between the Union and the Confederacy...or when the Civil War actually happened.
I have zero respect for a higher degree unless the person I'm talking to can at least match my own very limited self education.

I have terrible math skills but at least I know when the major wars occurred  rolleyes

he thought he had nothing to lose? more like he never learned to think.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
Obviously what they did was stupid and wrong but just because they 'face' 20 years doesn't mean they'll get 20 years ... more likely they'll get 10 yrs or less and serve about 3 during which time they'll get free room and board, medical and education ... Not to mention all the late night bootie calls they can handle ...  shocked

Something tells me they won't go on to be rocket scientists ...  laugh
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce