Author Topic: Question re: automotive transmission fluid  (Read 4243 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Question re: automotive transmission fluid
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
It's to the point I'm about ready to just pay the dealer to save me the hassle.

Yeah, it really doesn't cost that much - maybe $10 - over the cost of the oil and filter.

And then you have receipts showing that the oil was changed.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
Yeah, it really doesn't cost that much - maybe $10 - over the cost of the oil and filter.

Except you don't know if they actually did it right or not. Or if they screwed the drain plug back in right or crossthreaded and stripped it...same for the filter...the small amount I save by doing my own oil changes is used to buy a good quality oil filter instead.

I don't trust anyone but myself or my father to do something as simple as an oil change. Cause I know we will do it right, but others don't care as much about stuff that they don't own. The ONLY procedure we let someone else do is to change the tires, because we don't have a machine (yet), and even then I am in the bay, watching the mechanics like a hawk.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
you may wanna consider installing your own drain plug on your pan, (which involves drilling a hole and welding a nut to the inside of the hole, then screwing a plug into said hole - not too hard and makes changing the fluid sooooo frickin' easy... )

My method is easier (self-drilling screw with a rubber washer). You don't even have to take the pan off the first time.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
Except you don't know if they actually did it right or not. Or if they screwed the drain plug back in right or crossthreaded and stripped it...same for the filter...the small amount I save by doing my own oil changes is used to buy a good quality oil filter instead.

I don't trust anyone but myself or my father to do something as simple as an oil change. Cause I know we will do it right, but others don't care as much about stuff that they don't own. The ONLY procedure we let someone else do is to change the tires, because we don't have a machine (yet), and even then I am in the bay, watching the mechanics like a hawk.

We use a local family owned shop.  They've got a lot of incentive to do things right, not the least of which is that most people in this county are armed.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
We use a local family owned shop.  They've got a lot of incentive to do things right, not the least of which is that most people in this county are armed.  :lol:

I change my oil now since I went 100% syth, but back when I paid to have it done I was allowed to go back and BS with the oil changer guy so I got to see it done. My friend who was the shop manager got hired by a bus company to run there shop so I lost my pass to the shop.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »

Ford offers a $29.95 oil change, up to five quarts, using their Motorcraft 5w20 synth blend which has a very good rep in the oil industry.  The folks over at Bobistheoilguy.com love the stuff.  UOA's show it to be really good stuff.  Best part? If you sign up for their Ford customer program every fifth oil change is free.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Ford offers a $29.95 oil change, up to five quarts, using their Motorcraft 5w20 synth blend which has a very good rep in the oil industry.  The folks over at Bobistheoilguy.com love the stuff.  UOA's show it to be really good stuff.  Best part? If you sign up for their Ford customer program every fifth oil change is free.

Brad

Trouble is that for us it is about a three hour round trip to the nearest Ford dealer.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
Where you live I though that was "running to the store for milk".  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
Where you live I though that was "running to the store for milk".  =D

Brad

Yeah, which we do about once a month.