Author Topic: Little Suzie Homemaker today  (Read 6087 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Little Suzie Homemaker today
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
I pulled the last of the green 'maters from the garden yesterday and found a good recipe for Salsa Verde.  Yesterday morning, I started a batch of bread with a simple recipe I found in my latest issue of Urban Farm magazine (the dough had to sit for 12-20hrs).  Last night, SWMBO got a batch of her apple butter going in the crock pot.  We started this morning by canning the apple butter, then I got started on the bread.  It needed some light kneading, then it had to rest for 2hrs.  While that was doing its thing, I got the salsa going.  By the time the salsa was ready to can, the bread was ready to put into the oven inside an enameled cast iron dutch oven.  I spent the next hour canning salsa and tending to the bread.  

The salsa...

Damn!  That stuff is good.  I had some pork BBQ left over from my grandfather's birthday party (he cooks a hog every year on his birthday), so I warmed that up and put a generous amount on corn tortillas with a spoonful of the salsa on top.  I might have to hurt someone that's so damn good!

Now where's my apron...

Chris
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:59:47 PM by mtnbkr »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Little Suzie Homemaker today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
Didn't you just rebuild a chainsaw a couple of days ago? That oughtta keep your man card in good standing through a few days of Betty-Crocker-izing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »
Didn't you just rebuild a chainsaw a couple of days ago? That oughtta keep your man card in good standing through a few days of Betty-Crocker-izing.

He still keeps his man card since he was making salsa.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
And he's got a motorcycle in his garage.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
And he's got a motorcycle in his garage.
Nope, two bicycles and a minivan.

Chris

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
How'd the bread turn out???  I'm trying to find a good rustic (bubbly) bread recipe

"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
How'd the bread turn out???  I'm trying to find a good rustic (bubbly) bread recipe
Great.  Slightly yeasty with a chewy texture.  Outside is nice and crusty.  It would be a great companion to stew or soup.

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
Last night, I made shrimp ettoufete with bakery bought bread, and box mix brownies topped with homemade vanilla ice cream and hot fudge.

Why is any man card in jeopardy for cooking well?  I lawys found it impressed the ladies, and helped concine SWMBO that I was a keeper.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »
How'd the bread turn out???  I'm trying to find a good rustic (bubbly) bread recipe

Take a look over here

http://www.motherearthnews.com/shopping/detail.aspx?itemnumber=3955

The book is worth it bt cheaper from Amazon.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/artisan-bread-in-five-minutes-a-day.aspx#axzz2iyqTVRtD
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
I think the canning and urban farming aspect keeps it out of the Suzie Homemaker category.  Chris is more mountain man lost-in-suburbia....  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »
And here I spent the entire weekend digging post holes and building a big-assed fence...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
^ Brute.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
Last night, I made shrimp ettoufete with bakery bought bread, and box mix brownies topped with homemade vanilla ice cream and hot fudge.

Why is any man card in jeopardy for cooking well?  I lawys found it impressed the ladies, and helped concine SWMBO that I was a keeper.

Personally, I vote men who can cook EARN man cards with every tasty meal.

And just grilling the steaks doesn't count. Any caveman should be able to do that well.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »

And just grilling the steaks doesn't count. Any caveman should be able to do that well.

You'd think.  But I know a lot of men who suck at grilling.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

Fired up the smoker yesterday morning.

Once it was loaded up with apple wood chips, it got both racks stuffed with a pork shoulder roast, one nice lake trout, several seasoned russet potatoes, and several pounds of salmon fillets. 

The pork shoulder was injected with my mix of apple cider, white vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and salt.  Then it was patted down in A1 dry rub before going into the smoker for 8 hours.

The potatoes got poked with a fork, drizzled in olive oil, with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt applied before getting wrapped up in foil and living in the smoker with the pork shoulder.

The trout and salmon were simply sprinkled with ground sea salt and allowed to do their thing in the smoker for about 4 hours.  I consider this my contribution to multi-tasking.

I took care of Sunday night dinner, and have smoked trout and smoked salmon to share with medium cheddar and club crackers this week!   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
You'd think.  But I know a lot of men who suck at grilling.

Exactly.

Those "men" should never even be issued any man cards.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
RKL et als: Thanks for the link, I'll certainly check that out! I'm a pretty good cook, but rustic bread has eluded me. =(

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
It really is pretty easy to make GOOD bread. Do use a baking stone.
And, get real butter to smear on it. that artificial stuff is an abomination when used on good bread.
Bonus if you use fresh milled whole wheat flour/grains.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Sunday night, I made a batch of fig jam using figs from the tree in my backyard.

Dayum, it is good.

Next batch though, I'm going to use more figs and less sugar.  I'd prefer a stronger fig flavor than what I got in this batch.

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »
Bread - the bad, the ugly, and the sorta good.  Also some winners.

https://adaptivecurmudgeon.wordpress.com/

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
RKL: I do use a stone & butter & my bread's good; just not what I want as far as texture goes! I want bubbles, dang it!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
Try the slow rise method. The Artisan Bread in  5 Minutes A Day book champions it.  You can also find some of those recipes on the Mother Earth News website.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:17 AM »
And it's almost time for me to start my yearly batch of sauerkraut.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
I'm a little behind the curve so far this year. All I've managed is 4 loaves of honey wheat sandwich bread and 1 big batch of from scratch cinnamon rolls.

Samuel Adams