Author Topic: Michigan Deputy Shoots Stabbing Suspect with Knife  (Read 2586 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Michigan Deputy Shoots Stabbing Suspect with Knife
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
It still blows my mind that this guy somehow thought that being a jackass would go over with no repercussions. I've seen nothing about him being on drugs, but you'd about have to be to act that way. Though with BLM, between people beating on cops and  cops told not to fight back, maybe he actually thought he could get away with this and she'd be afraid to shoot.

This video was a good analysis on the jam. At the point she started shooting, she wasn't a cop - she was a person defending her life.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
LAPD Officer Who Shot and Killed a Suspect is Under Scrutiny Because She’s Also a Competitive Shooter
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/lapd-officer-who-shot-and-killed-a-suspect-under-scrutiny-because-shes-also-a-competitive-shooter/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wideopen&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

Similar incident except she didn't let the guy get so close.  Video at the top of the page.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:29 PM »
It used to be common for half or more of the pistol shooters doing local competition to be LE.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
... and the dead perp's family is suing:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/lapd-top-shot-officer-sued-shooting-man-box-cutter

I'm a little annoyed that Fox News is calling the dead guy "the victim."

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
I went to the range once, guess I'm screwed
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
It's always hard to judge distance in these videos but the suspect seems to be approaching within 21 feet when the officer made the decision to fire.

I've seen lots (maybe too many) body cam videos and I can't imagine officers have a very high opinion of the efficacy of a taser.  It's frustrating to hear people ask "why didn't they just tase him" when the device has such a high failure rate.  It's one thing to fire 2-3 rounds of live ammo, stay in high ready, and evaluate the need for follow up shots.  It's quite another to deploy a taser, wait to see if it worked, then transition to lethal force if it didn't.

The detractors and plaintiffs seem to think that cops minds work faster than other humans.  In this case, if officer #2 had deployed a taser, and it didn't connect, the suspect could have carved up officer #1 like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Also, I have rarely seen such excellent communication between the officers and over the radio.  Very professional.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 10:31:13 AM »

The detractors and plaintiffs seem to think that cops minds work faster than other humans.  In this case, if officer #2 had deployed a taser, and it didn't connect, the suspect could have carved up officer #1 like a Thanksgiving turkey.

That touches on something I mentioned earlier, but have no expertise on. I wonder if any departments train with non-lethal force with lethal backup? That is, if you have two or more officers, if the situation allows (like a lone, belligerent individual), one deploys the taser, but if the suspect doesn't immediately drop, the other officer(s) are positioned in such a way that they are safe and are ready to immediately use lethal force to stop the threat.

Maybe things in real life  happen too quickly for that to be a viable method. Just wondering.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
That touches on something I mentioned earlier, but have no expertise on. I wonder if any departments train with non-lethal force with lethal backup? That is, if you have two or more officers, if the situation allows (like a lone, belligerent individual), one deploys the taser, but if the suspect doesn't immediately drop, the other officer(s) are positioned in such a way that they are safe and are ready to immediately use lethal force to stop the threat.

Maybe things in real life  happen too quickly for that to be a viable method. Just wondering.
Yep, that is how most departments train.