Author Topic: Michigan Deputy Shoots Stabbing Suspect with Knife  (Read 2598 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Michigan Deputy Shoots Stabbing Suspect with Knife
« on: July 15, 2020, 09:10:20 AM »
man with knife EATS 9 BULLETS before stopping - Eaton police shooting breakdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDA7y63N8r4

I didn't post this for the commentary, but I thought the video was pretty good showing the knife wielding guy attacking the officer.  I can't tell how many times the officer hit him, but it took a few shots and a few seconds for the shots to take an effect.  The officer let him get pretty close.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
Re: Michigan Deputy Shoots Stabbing Suspect with Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
Clean malf drill as well.

Nice job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »
Wow. She handled herself well, especially with the jam, and perhaps moreso with the close-in engagement.

The peanut gallery comments are a little infuriating. I guess I'm speaking from the peanut gallery myself, but I would almost rather get shot than get stabbed or slashed, based on images and video I have seen of the latter. I would not want to trust my life with a taser in something like this example.

I could envision a situation where if there were two or more officers, one deploys the taser, and if there is no effect, the other is already on target and starts pulling the trigger. Just one on one though? The gun was the right call here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:00:49 AM »
Clean malf drill as well.

Nice job.

Saw that, good job on clearing it on her part. Guess the malfunction was caused by him grabbing the gun*, something to consider practicing for.
*Hold on. At first I though he caused the malfunction but going frame by frame I think the gun jammed even before he touched it.

Any word on word on ammo used? It's a narrow frame Glock so either 9mm or 40S&W.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
Yep, on closer inspection I'm convinced he didn't cause the malfunction
At 0.3:27 the slide appears to be locked back and was still locked back when he reached for it. You may not catch it unless you view it frame by frame.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
Wow. She handled herself well, especially with the jam, and perhaps moreso with the close-in engagement.

The peanut gallery comments are a little infuriating. I guess I'm speaking from the peanut gallery myself, but I would almost rather get shot than get stabbed or slashed, based on images and video I have seen of the latter. I would not want to trust my life with a taser in something like this example.

I could envision a situation where if there were two or more officers, one deploys the taser, and if there is no effect, the other is already on target and starts pulling the trigger. Just one on one though? The gun was the right call here.

Wow. The stupidity almost makes you wish we could uninvent less-lethal tech. At least then we'd only have to deal with shoot-em-in-the-leg idiocy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
Ferfal covers this one as well as another knife encounter that didn't turn out as good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgklVbx9xY
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »
I heard some commentary that suggested she may have drawn her gun poorly in panic and fired the first few shots with a poor grip, missed the shots, limp wristed the gun causing a malfunction, then got it together after the malfunction drill and plugged the guy. 

IMO, I can't tell that from the video, but it is something to keep in mind.  Also why we should do draw practice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
limp wristed the gun causing a malfunction

And carry revolvers.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »
And carry revolvers.

Do we have confirmation on how many shots connected? The one article seems to indicate nine. Not that we should expect a cop or you or me to connect with every shot. Or maybe we should expect it but *expletive deleted*it happens and I'd hate to be three shots short in a situation like that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
Do we have confirmation on how many shots connected? The one article seems to indicate nine. Not that we should expect a cop or you or me to connect with every shot. Or maybe we should expect it but *expletive deleted*it happens and I'd hate to be three shots short in a situation like that.

https://youtu.be/PE9RDQw9ZL0?t=44
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:47 PM »

I think all shots hit him, i read it somewhere today.
Connect with every shot?

I am great on the range, the one time i shot in an emergency I missed 12 times.
I scared the coyote fortunately  :rofl:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 10:50:16 PM »
I think all shots hit him, i read it somewhere today.
Connect with every shot?

I am great on the range, the one time i shot in an emergency I missed 12 times.
I scared the coyote fortunately  :rofl:

You drop anvils on coyotes
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 04:58:46 AM »
man with knife EATS 9 BULLETS before stopping - Eaton police shooting breakdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDA7y63N8r4

I didn't post this for the commentary, but I thought the video was pretty good showing the knife wielding guy attacking the officer.  I can't tell how many times the officer hit him, but it took a few shots and a few seconds for the shots to take an effect.  The officer let him get pretty close.  

Does anyone know how I can edit a grab of this video to eliminate the extranea and just retain the actual footage of the shooting? I think it will be useful for teaching CCW classes.

I tried Moviemaker, but it's not a file format that Moviemaker recognizes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »
Does anyone know how I can edit a grab of this video to eliminate the extranea and just retain the actual footage of the shooting? I think it will be useful for teaching CCW classes.

The video download utility that comes with Avast browser saves the video to .mp4 format, which Moviemaker recognizes.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 10:23:26 AM »
The video download utility that comes with Avast browser saves the video to .mp4 format, which Moviemaker recognizes.
Or just paste the link into here: https://youtube-video.download/ and download the mp4.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:28 AM »
Firefox has multiple youtube download plugins.  They won't always download at the original resolution. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
On the tangent, good reminder for me to download a bunch of youtube videos. I have an online "reference" folder in my youtube account that has a bunch of how-to videos, some that were hard to find (like maintenance videos for my tractor) and you never know when someone is going to delete their youtube account and that info disappears.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
Angeleys, cordex, MechAg94 -- thanks, but I know how to download the video. To make it useful in a training situation, I want ot edit out the Donut Operator editorial comments and save just the portions that depict the actual incident. It downloads in a format I don't have any programs to handle.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
What format is it in?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 06:19:54 PM »
What format is it in?

The file extension is .ve

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 08:29:13 PM »

Take the original link and change the "youtube" part to "youtubepp"  It gives you a variety of formats to download.  (most of them mp4 with different resolutions)
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 10:33:51 PM »
Donut Operator is a youtube rabbit hole.  Good stuff.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 02:11:49 AM »
great video analysis, you need to see this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2ZVl49YWI
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »
great video analysis, you need to see this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2ZVl49YWI

"He took the asphalt temperature challenge ..."