Main Forums > The Roundtable

Taylor Swift

<< < (2/21) > >>

Ben:

--- Quote from: dogmush on December 06, 2023, 11:33:21 AM ---She makes decent pop music.  Catchy tunes and decent lyrics

--- End quote ---

Sure, I get that. Though we have had similar artists pop up pretty much every 5-10 years. She, or at least her fan base, just seems to be exponentially bigger than any other pop stars that I remember in my adult life. For, as stated, "decent pop music". It's just an interesting phenomenon to me. I mean, they talk about "What Taylor Swift had for lunch yesterday" and similar pretty much every day on the Fox Business for crying out loud.

WLJ:
Just looked it up, she's 33. Think she'll hit the "oh my god I'm getting old!" stage and hit the drugs and bottle and start looking like a plastic surgeon's Etch-A-Sketch after she hits 40?

dogmush:

--- Quote from: Ben on December 06, 2023, 11:55:26 AM ---Sure, I get that. Though we have had similar artists pop up pretty much every 5-10 years. She, or at least her fan base, just seems to be exponentially bigger than any other pop stars that I remember in my adult life. For, as stated, "decent pop music". It's just an interesting phenomenon to me. I mean, they talk about "What Taylor Swift had for lunch yesterday" and similar pretty much every day on the Fox Business for crying out loud.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I think Taylor is like a once every 25-35 year pop-star phenom.  A Michael Jackson level pop star.  I seem to recall Madonna being this big in the 80's, although I didn't hang out with her fans, so I don't know if they were this virulent.  Every now and then you get someone with real talent hooked up with the right producers and image managers, at the right time in societal music tastes and you get one of these stars.

The aforementioned Beatles and MJ, Elvis, Maybe David Bowie?, Queen, you get these stars every now and then.

On the fans, I do think that Social Media makes it a little worse, because there's so much "personal" interaction with the Star, it's easy for borderline personalities  to feel a super strong connection that isn't really there.  I think Beyonce and her B-Hive are as bad or worse than Swifties.

griz:

--- Quote from: dogmush on December 06, 2023, 12:52:13 PM ---
On the fans, I do think that Social Media makes it a little worse, because there's so much "personal" interaction with the Star, it's easy for borderline personalities  to feel a super strong connection that isn't really there. 

--- End quote ---

I wonder about that.  Specifically, how much of the persona that is displayed by the marketing is actually the real personality.  In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter.  They're reaching out to fans that think they have a hot line to a star; they'll believe whatever their phone tells them to believe.

K Frame:
Much more than just being a pop star, Swift is also an incredibly savvy business person. She has her hand in virtually every aspect of running her operations and she's been incredibly good at it to a degree rarely seen in the industry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version