Author Topic: Cancel Culture Backfire  (Read 3423 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Cancel Culture Backfire
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 01:23:00 AM »
Yeah, I saw we were posting the same thing at about the same time. You beat me by a few minutes.  ;laugh;Stinking retired people.

I know, joke, joke, but an opportunity to repeat my favorite rejoinder to (serious) remarks in this vein: "I sure hope you (A) don't get this old or (B) Let's hope you never reach retirement."

I agree on the slimeballery of reporters and I'm reviewing suggestions as to what to do about them.  So far, I have not found a solution that does not involve cruel and unusual punishment. Perhaps it's time to review those criteria.

Terry
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:42:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 01:25:53 AM »
Well, he's fired.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/des-moines-register-reporter-fired-for-n-word-tweets-after-targeting-local-hero?_amp=true

Unfortunately the DMR editor is still trying to spin her way out of it rather than issuing an apology but Iowans aren't putting up with it. The comments, summarized, are "Take your fuffery and shove it up your backside while concurrently removing yourself from DMR's employee roles."

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157694796819579&id=8031989578&anchor_composer=false

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 01:33:40 AM »
^
The comments, summarized, are "Take your fuffery, prnt it out on cardboard, and shove it up your backside while concurrently removing yourself from DMR's employee roles."

Fixed that for  you.

Terry,   >:D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Interesting that the reporter was fired, but the editors who approved the story are still sitting pretty. He's a slimeball for doing his "background check", but the editors said it was their standard procedure AND approved publishing it. Seems like they should go too.

I think it's awesome that Iowa is having "Carson King Day". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2019, 09:04:01 AM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/year-of-jubilee-proposed-where-everyones-forgiven-for-their-old-tweets
Modernized Year Of Jubilee Will Forgive Everyone For Their Old Tweets

I don't think this part will work.
Perhaps everybody's favorite part of the proposal, however, is that this 50th year acts as a kind of Twitter Sabbath, where everyone rests and nobody is allowed to tweet all year long: "In that year you shall not tweet, nor shall you subtweet, nor shall you comb through old tweets to look for dirt on people. For it is a jubilee; it shall be holy to you."
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Interesting that the reporter was fired, but the editors who approved the story are still sitting pretty. He's a slimeball for doing his "background check", but the editors said it was their standard procedure AND approved publishing it. Seems like they should go too.

I think it's awesome that Iowa is having "Carson King Day". :)

Because he was fired for his own tweets, not because he's a malicious slime-ball attacking someone for what they wrote when they were 16.

THAT is the lesson the editors think they needed to learn. Not to tweet bad things.

Because what they did was perfectly fine. It was that hypocrite who was wrong. Not them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »

I agree. I found an e-mail address for the Executive Editor and wrote to her to say exactly that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
For some help, here are a list of Anheuser-Busch InBev brands: (I am posting a shorter list because the link has a HUGE number, but these are the ones we are likely to encounter in the US)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

Budweiser
Busch
Corona
Estrella
Modelo
Pacífico
Victoria
Oculto
Natural Light
Shock Top Belgian White
Stella Artois (Global)
Stone Mill Pale Ale
ZiegenBock
10 Barrel Brewing Co (USA)
Alexander Keith's (Canada)
Babe Wines
Best Damn Brewing Company
Blue Point Brewing Company (USA)
Blue Star (Canada)
Brahma
Breckenridge Brewery (USA)
Devils Backbone Brewing Company
Elysian Brewing Company (USA)
Four Peaks (USA)[7]
Golden Road (USA)
Goose Island Brewery (USA)
Karbach Brewing Company (USA)
Kokanee (Canada)
Labatt Family (Canada) Acquired in 1995
Lakeport Family (Canada) Acquired in 2007
Michelob
Mill Street Brewery (Canada)
Oland Export Ale (Canada)
Platform Beer Company (USA) [9]
Spiked Seltzer (USA)
Turning Point (Canada)
Veza Sur Brewing Company [10] (USA)
Wicked Weed (USA) [11]
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
I agree. I found an e-mail address for the Executive Editor and wrote to her to say exactly that.

Sadly though, I think Mak is right, and they only fired the reporter because of his own past tweets. Their "apology" suggests that they will do this again with no remorse. They might first run an internal "background check" on the next reporter to avoid the current hypocrisy complications.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
For some help, here are a list of Anheuser-Busch InBev brands: (I am posting a shorter list because the link has a HUGE number, but these are the ones we are likely to encounter in the US)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

I had no idea they owned Corona and Michelob.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
Sadly though, I think Mak is right, and they only fired the reporter because of his own past tweets. Their "apology" suggests that they will do this again with no remorse. They might first run an internal "background check" on the next reporter to avoid the current hypocrisy complications.

I think that's pretty clear. I think it's also pretty clear that they would not have run any check on their reporter if outsiders hadn't done so for them,and "outed" him very publicly. So they got caught in a clear and obvious case of "Do as I say and not as I do," and they are now engaged in Level 4 damage control.

And they still haven't addressed why they decided to even mention the beer guy's teenage tweets in the article. It wasn't (and isn't) in any way relevant to the story. The story was (and is) that an ordinary guy made a joke that turned into a very good thing -- and then the Des Moinse Register turned the very good thing into a dumpster fire. THAT''s the story.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
Well, the fired journalist was only fired because of a right wing conspiracy that forced his editors to fire him.  ;/

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/09/27/former-des-moines-register-reporter-aaron-calvin-plays-the-victim-in-new-interview-with-buzzfeed/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
Well, the fired journalist was only fired because of a right wing conspiracy that forced his editors to fire him.  ;/

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/09/27/former-des-moines-register-reporter-aaron-calvin-plays-the-victim-in-new-interview-with-buzzfeed/

This one echoes my thoughts on the matter:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/09/27/horrible-new-principles-thread-explains-that-while-what-aaron-calvin-did-to-carson-king-was-gross-the-des-moines-registers-actions-are-unforgivable/

Esoteric Jeff

@EsotericCD
Replying to @EsotericCD

Here's a novel thought: it's not newsworthy what a guy raising money for children's hospitals wrote on Twitter when he was 16. In fact, if discovered, it should be actively suppressed and hidden, not reported on. The public *shouldn't* have a right to know.

Crazy, I know.

Esoteric Jeff

@EsotericCD
Replying to @EsotericCD

In all honesty, it's the *editor* (or however many editors that okayed the idea of discussing the kid's social media from when he was 16) who should have been fired here. This is a question of *news judgment* and judging that to be publishable or relevant is unforgivable.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 01:19:48 AM »
The editors made me do it.  I was only following orders.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
The editors made me do it.  I was only following orders.

No, I think he did it all by himself.  Then showed it to his editors who wholly approved of it.  They gave him a gold star and published his little side project.  From there, it pretty well went to $4!+ for him and his back-patting bosses.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
Oh, I was iterating an oft-used lame excuse for various things.  In the dog ate my homework vein.

Not my best post.  No excuse, Sir.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:32:35 PM by 230RN »