Main Forums > Politics

McCain blows a chance for a big WIN-WIN

<< < (2/8) > >>

HankB:

--- Quote from: longeyes on September 29, 2008, 07:02:33 AM ---I think he's confused and conflicted, just as Bush has been.  These men are, in their hearts, both liberals, and as liberals can't really deal with an ultra-leftist like Obama.
And maybe McCain doesn't really want to win.

Manedwolf:
McCain was on an interview this morning.

He agreed with Obama that FDIC insurance ought to be increased to $250K from $100K. He agreed with Obama on a bunch of other crap.

He said that he wants to see the bill passed, and Americans just don't understand, blah, Main Street, (I am SO SICK of that jingoistic "it's main street, not wall street" talking point...I don't live on main street!)

I am very angry.

MrRezister:
McCain could have wrapped up the whole election if he had gone in and helped author a new bill that was fundamentally different from Bush/Paulson.  One that didn't lay Wall Street's problems at the feet of the American Taxpayer.  If my reading of the reactions so far is accurate, the voters aren't worried at all about who wants more oversight, they simply don't want this tax burden, and who can blame them?  McCain should have come up with an alternate bill that either would have shielded the taxpayers entirely, or wouldn't require 7-10 years to see some sort of return.  That way he would have cemented his status as a problem solver, whilst standing up against Bush and living up to his Maverick "status".  As it stands now, it is obvious that the leadership in the house wants the bill to go through, but those who want to keep their seats in the upcoming election are afraid to have their names associated with it.  And the Democrats were waiting for the Republicans to get enough votes to pass the bill so they could spread the blame evenly.  I'm glad most Republicans voted against it.

agricola:

--- Quote from: MrRezister on September 30, 2008, 04:48:57 AM ---McCain could have wrapped up the whole election if he had gone in and helped author a new bill that was fundamentally different from Bush/Paulson.  One that didn't lay Wall Street's problems at the feet of the American Taxpayer.  If my reading of the reactions so far is accurate, the voters aren't worried at all about who wants more oversight, they simply don't want this tax burden, and who can blame them?  McCain should have come up with an alternate bill that either would have shielded the taxpayers entirely, or wouldn't require 7-10 years to see some sort of return.  That way he would have cemented his status as a problem solver, whilst standing up against Bush and living up to his Maverick "status".  As it stands now, it is obvious that the leadership in the house wants the bill to go through, but those who want to keep their seats in the upcoming election are afraid to have their names associated with it.  And the Democrats were waiting for the Republicans to get enough votes to pass the bill so they could spread the blame evenly.  I'm glad most Republicans voted against it.

The thing is the Dems know this, and will block anything that can even semi-plausibly be linked to McCain because they know its his single best chance of winning in November.  Just look at the conniption and blatant fibs they got into when he postponed his campaign.

MechAg94:
Yeah, but it he had put forth an alternative, he could talk about the difference between him and Obama, not how they agree.  Even if it didn't pass, it would still be a good talking point for him and would gain him some support. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version