Author Topic: 9 or 40  (Read 13280 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: 9 or 40
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Proof that the community standards are slipping.  In true gun fora fashion I reply that the only correct choices are 10mm or .45 Super.

FTFY.
Formerly sumpnz

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
Seriously considering getting a heavy recoil spring and heavt fp spring for my all steel  5" bbl 1911 since it came back from S&W, just to shoot .45Super. 

That would be for jaunts in the woods to shoot this or somehting like htis:
https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-super-255-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
Proof that the community standards are slipping.  In true gun fora fashion I reply that the only correct choices are 10mm or .45 WinMag.
FIFY

https://youtu.be/Q-fALF7lfIU

Ordered one for a friend when I was an FFL. Fun gun to shoot! Stung a bit but nice trigger and accurate.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:09:51 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »
So, I have resolved to get another 9mm. The only remaining question is XDS vs. Shield, or some 3rd option I don't know about.

I actually went to buy a XD 9 compact when I got my M&P, but I walked out with the M&P instead. It just seemed more rounded/refined, and it was on sale. The XDs have come a few revisions since 2007 though, and I always liked the grip safety and the trigger widget vs. the M&P hinged trigger which I just think is stupid.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2016, 07:52:01 PM »
I don't know why, but in full size pistols, I actually respond better with the snappier recoil of .40, than I do in the same pistol in 9mm or .45. My carry HK USP is in .40, and I have a USP in 9 to go with my Gemtech 9mm multimount suppressor, and I've shot a USP 45 of a club member for a few magazines, and for whatever reason, I shoot the USP .40 better than either the 9 or the .45. Slide velocity and recoil impulse seems to have a lot to do with the "sweet spot" for me, as much as grip and trigger ergonomics and the sight picture.

I think I make use of the quicker/sharper recoil impulse to index back on target better/quicker or something. Other than that, I do agree the really good modern bullet designs have eliminated a lot/most of the "caliber debate". At least when everything else is equal.

In short/compact pistols, it might be different. But after the capacity argument, I think "what works for you" overrides everything else. Because you have to hit what your aiming at of course, for the terminal ballistic argument to even come into play.

10mm, .357Sig, .460/.45super in autos, or .357 or .44 mag from a revolver is still going to be in a higher class. Unless you're shooting the .357 from a snubbie and losing most of it's potential from short barrel and cylinder gap, and arguably not pushing it much harder than a .38 +p.

I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »
Oh, and just for the record?

My chosen carry gun is most often a Smith & Wesson Centennial J frame in .38 Special.

5 rounds.

Ditto here, with the exception of that it is either a Ruger LCR, a Taurus 850, or a Ruger SP-101. All loaded with the Speer Gold Dot short barrel .38+p 135 grain JHP.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
So, I have resolved to get another 9mm. The only remaining question is XDS vs. Shield, or some 3rd option I don't know about.

I actually went to buy a XD 9 compact when I got my M&P, but I walked out with the M&P instead. It just seemed more rounded/refined, and it was on sale. The XDs have come a few revisions since 2007 though, and I always liked the grip safety and the trigger widget vs. the M&P hinged trigger which I just think is stupid.

Get the Shield in 9mm.  The Shield is more popular and therefore has more accessory options for it.  Also, it is made in America, which makes getting parts easier.  Finally, Apex Tactical, makes triggers and parts for it.  And Apex doesn't waste their time on sub-par guns.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
FIFY

https://youtu.be/Q-fALF7lfIU

Ordered one for a friend when I was an FFL. Fun gun to shoot! Stung a bit but nice trigger and accurate.
Looks like a 1911 slide on a CZ frame. 

The only AMT gun I have is a .22 Lightning Rugger Mark II copy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
The XDS has a nice mag release- hard to push, and ambi.   
 I am going to insert a little rant here--
  People go on and on about drop free magazines and easy release mags , but they are are putting the cart before the horse. You want to live with  a stiff mag release after the mag is empty, or do you want to have one shot only, because the mag popped free inadvertently? This is a flaw the G19 has- I have had multiple instances of the mag release being activated by routine activity, and finding out the mag was loose.  Also a reason I think all the hoo doo about "drop free" mags is idiotic for day to day carry. So what if you lose a tenth of a second on a play course- in real life, if that mag release activates, and the mag falls away, it is bad. Much better to have that mag still in the well, but needing to be latched back in. 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »
The AMT WinMags we owned were flawless in their operation. Yeah, odd as hell calibers ya had to hand load but great guns to attract friends and have fun with. I open carried mine in a horizontal rig shoulder holster a time or two when I was in VA with the VCDL at gatherings just for giggles. I was in my wheelchair so the muzzle wasn't in people's faces/chests but I guess groins were at risk...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2016, 10:12:24 PM »
I like shooting .40S&W in full-size guns, especially 1911's. But I don't like them in CC-sized guns....that is where 9mm shines.  My two CC pistols are a Ruger LC9 and a S&W SD9VE, but I carry the LC9 most. The thing I discovered from carrying is that I don't like double-stack guns for CCW. It just adds too much weight and throws off the balance in a holster. Single-stack pistols don't have that issue.

I may add a Kahr CW45 or CT45 to the rotation in the future. Pistol bullets are limited in their velocity, especially from shorter barrels. If I can't have velocity, I'll settle for mass.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:29 PM »
  People go on and on about drop free magazines and easy release mags , but they are are putting the cart before the horse. You want to live with  a stiff mag release after the mag is empty, or do you want to have one shot only, because the mag popped free inadvertently? This is a flaw the G19 has- I have had multiple instances of the mag release being activated by routine activity, and finding out the mag was loose.  Also a reason I think all the hoo doo about "drop free" mags is idiotic for day to day carry. So what if you lose a tenth of a second on a play course- in real life, if that mag release activates, and the mag falls away, it is bad. Much better to have that mag still in the well, but needing to be latched back in. 

Why not have both?  A properly made pistol works that way.

I have never had a problem with mag releases that are too loose, but I don't own any Glocks either.  That sounds like a defective gun and/or an easy fix.

If you are serious about selecting a handgun for defensive uses consider how well you can operate it as a handgun as opposed to a handsgun.  Can you work it one handed?  Would you want a drop-free mag in that case?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »
If I can't have velocity, I'll settle for mass.

Which is easier to accelerate in a short barrel, a puny 9mm or a massive .45? 

FWIW, 9mm has more short-barrel loads than does .45Auto.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: 9 or 40
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:28 PM »

True.....but, something that takes a lot of effort to get moving also takes a lot of effort to stop moving.....or, at least, that's what the guy with the apple told me.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »

Good point. I sort of like being able to drop the mag with my index finger, and my son is a lefty.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »
True.....but, something that takes a lot of effort to get moving also takes a lot of effort to stop moving.....or, at least, that's what the guy with the apple told me.

William Tell or Steve Jobs?

[yes, I know]
Formerly sumpnz

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2016, 12:06:31 AM »
Why not have both?  A properly made pistol works that way.

I have never had a problem with mag releases that are too loose, but I don't own any Glocks either.  That sounds like a defective gun and/or an easy fix.

If you are serious about selecting a handgun for defensive uses consider how well you can operate it as a handgun as opposed to a handsgun.  Can you work it one handed?  Would you want a drop-free mag in that case?

The problem with the G is that the release is plastic on plastic- the coefficient of friction is very low. 
 I do not trust the mag to not release, especially if there were an altercation where the gun is being struggled with. Ride the thumb over the release and the mag is going to get dropped. I would rather have a mag I have to rip out with my teeth than a mag that drops out inadvertently.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2016, 12:09:24 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
Re: Re: 9 or 40
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2016, 07:46:50 AM »

All correct, but the HP bullet needs the velocity to expand correctly.  I would give up the velocity in favor of mass to gain penetration only if I knew that expansion and penetration is marginal in the other loads.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »

My XDS magazines I pretty much have to yank out of the magwell.  Big hands, short grip.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »

7 rounds of 230 grain .45 is about the same mass downrange as 15 rounds of 115 9mm.   Funny how the math works.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:37 AM »

All correct, but the HP bullet needs the velocity to expand correctly.  I would give up the velocity in favor of mass to gain penetration only if I knew that expansion and penetration is marginal in the other loads.

.45Auto needs only one short bbl load: hardball.  Or most any .45ACP HP. 

Expand?  Not expand?  Doesn't matter, I'm the guy with .45ACP.

Yes, that ^^^ is a bit flip, but has a kernel of truth.  I generally don't expect any load coming from a snubby or short bbl semi-auto to expand.  So I don't get too excited by JHP loadings for them and am OK with FMJ, WC, and SWC stoking my itty bitty handguns .  If I want reliable JHP expansion, I move up to a 4"+ bbl.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Good.  You know the why's and how's.