Author Topic: Fly Fishing in Alaska any advice???  (Read 4666 times)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Fly Fishing in Alaska any advice???
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
I need help finding a good (Cheap) Fly Rod for Salmon fishing.

This summer I have the chance to go fishing for Salmon in Alaska.  We will be doing a fly in trip with river fishing.  This trip will be a bring your own gear deal.  When I went to Alaska I learned the rudimentary skills of Fly Fishing and loved it.  So once we catch our limit we will switch to fly fishing.  Top of the Line is not important.  I just need a rod that will let me learn with and survive the punishment of a noob...

All fly fishing equipment info and overall advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am browing the websites but everyting i find suggests the ultra expensive rods and reels.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:38:40 PM by J.J. »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Fly Fishing Alaska Advice???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
What length and weight rod and reel are suggested for salmon?

I have a tough time forking out alot of coin for something I only do once in awhile, or rarely.  Fly fishing is alot of fun, but for a once in awhile trip like that, what about spinning gear?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Torchman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
8 wt Shimano rod, Okuma reel to match.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
flea-tique shops are a favorite place for me to find fishing gear for the kids
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
You have to use a very small hook when attempting to catch flies. I've also heard honey is much better than vinegar for bait
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
I guess knowing your budget for gear would help.

If you check Cableas and Bass Pro, you can get a respectable setup in the $200 range.  You can spend as little as a hundred bucks, but the quality isnt as good.  I've got a $100 setup, a $200 setup, and a $300 setup (I got on clearance for $200).  the $300 setup is head and shoulders above the other two.  Of course, most of my fly fishing is light weight stuff, I throw a 7' 3wt for trout in the mountains when I can.

Gear:
Cheap vest for stowing stuff you need immediate access to.  Hydration pack for carrying the rest of your gear, etc.  
Hemostats and clippers on retractors.  Waterproof digital camera.  Polaraized sunglasses are a must for fly fishing.  Packable rain jacket.  Wide brimmed waterproof hat.
Neoprene waders with felt soled boots.  Long underwear, and a pair of fleece tights to go underneath.  Heavy socks plus synthetic poly sock liners.  Consider an inflatable PFD, too.  Wading is tricky and dangerous, and being in Alaska, the water is rough, deep and cold, and you might be a long ways from help.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
and a pair of fleece tights to go underneath

I recommend hello kitty ones

that way if you need to ditch the waders and run from a bear,
your guide will get a good picture
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
Speaking of bears, I understand the best way to attract them is to gut your fish and leave the guts right there on the ground at the waters edge.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »
Speaking of bears, I understand the best way to attract them is to gut your fish and leave the guts right there on the ground at the waters edge.

I thought the trick was to save them and smear them on your buddies tent that night?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
My main flyrod that I like is a Cabelas house brand (made in Korea) 6 wt 5 piece pack rod.  If I were going to Alaska after salmon I would want a beefier one, probably a 8 or 9wt, and I would consider getting one out of that product line.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
Honestly the budget is around $100 to $150. This is a setup that I would use only for this trip to Alaska (if I get lucky in a few years maybe another trip opportunity will pop up) I don't see the point in spending $$$ on something I would use for one week.  It will probably see alot of abuse from what I hear.  I wouldn't have the opportunity to use that fly rod around her because  around here I would get a very light setup.  They stock the local rivers with tiny trout so I wouldn't need anything near as heavy as what I would use in Alaska. 

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »
I thought the trick was to save them and smear them on your buddies tent that night?
Yea, much better plan!  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Fly Fishing in Alaska any advice???
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
Are you driving or flying into a spot? Depending on where you're going, you should be able to rent gear. Or you might even be able to rent cheaper at a local fly shop before you go if you have any in your area.

Else as mentioned above, you can put a cheap outfit together at Cabelas. Fly reels are not that important anyways, but there really is a big difference between cheap and good rods. Cheap rod might be fine though if you only plan on going a time or two.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »
Okay probably not what you want to hear:

skip the fly gear.  You're not going to become proficient and practiced in a week.  go with spinning gear.
Find out what spinning lures, etc they use up there.  You're going to be wasting your money on a one time fly fishing outfit for that price range.  If you want to learn the sport, find some local tailwaters and rivers to ply with a 4wt rod.

JD

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
Ok, I'm not any kind of an expert because I have never gone for salmon but I used to live with some guys that thought and acted like tripping up to Pulaski NY for salmon fishing was a religious experience. MY impression from them, if it was correct, was that they don't feed when they are running so in reality you are actually trying to snag them but (in NY anyways) you must snag them in the mouth or you must release them. Anyone that knows better feel free to correct me. And of course, NY is not Alaska.  =D

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »
No one is an expert is what they are saying but someone did stay in a Holiday Inn Express at sometime or another. :lol:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
Haven't read all the responses, but here my setup for WA salmon and steelhead fishing.

Echo2 8wt rod.  It's a 4 piece rod that came with two tips.  One gives a 9'6" overall length, the other gives a 10' length.  Shorter for better accuracy, longer for more power and casting distance.

Reel is a Sage 1680.  

Line is the Rio Versi-Tip.  This is a great choice as you can change the tip of the fly line to get variable sink rates.  A fast flowing deep river would require a faster sinking line than a slow flowing shallow river or lake.  

I can't remember what it cost to get that whole set up, but all up it was probably in the region of $600 NIB.  

I might be willing to rent it to you at mates rates.  Leaders, tippets, flys, etc will be on you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:39:30 PM by sumpnz »
Formerly sumpnz

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
try not to hook a Palin, the media will name you a god. then you will go to, ummm ahhh hades. :laugh: :angel:

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
Oh yeah, I've also got a Temple Forks Outfitters TiCr 6wt rod with a Ross CLA3 reel.  Also a 4 piece.  I'd have to double check but I think it's a 9' rod.  Line is IIRC the Rio Aqua Lux (sinking line).  

BTW that Versi-Tip line is a floating line except for the interchangable tips.  Those are 9' long and there are, I think, 6 of them.  Floating, neutral, and 4 rates of sinking.  

With my new job getting ready to start I won't be able to do too much fishing for a little while.  If you want to borrow one or both of them just let me know.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
One time we caught a couple in a little step-across brook.

The salmon were so big that their red backs were out of the water.

Casting wasn't much of an issue.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
skip the fly gear.  You're not going to become proficient and practiced in a week.  go with spinning gear.
Find out what spinning lures, etc they use up there.

Spinning gear and a few casting floats make a good compromise when you're in places that are good for topwater stuff.  Dry flies are next to impossible with that setup, but poppers work well.  I do it that way when I just can't avoid a headwind and still need a little distance.

Practice the rigging before you leave.  It's tricky enough on the couch, let alone doing it for the first time while wading.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 04:35:41 AM »
Coho flies are what we use.

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/cohoflies.html

The salmon don't feed in fresh water, the idea isn't to "snag" them (we use big weighted treble hooks for that) but to present the fly in front of them so they snap at it either out of instinct or annoyance.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »
Ah, I see. Apparently they do snag a few in Pulaski, I understand there's a warden right there to ensure it was a mouth catch and not a snag. I remember they had to be caught by the mouth or you tossed them back. I do remember those guys getting all their leaders set up before they left and talking about "chartreuse" being the hot color that year.  :lol:

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
What species of salmon? An 8wt rod with a fast or moderate fast action will do for just about everything but kings. For those you should probably go up one or two. Most folks I know have an 11wt as a dedicated king salmon rod. An 8 will handle an average king, but you're going to have to fight him a little longer.

Purple egg-sucking leech on a 6/0 hook is the only thing you need to know, although other egg patterns are good for getting the trout, dollies and grayling that are following the salmon upstream and feeding on their eggs.

What area or river system are you going to be on?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.