Author Topic: This will surely help with PR for the Police  (Read 7556 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re: This will surely help with PR for the Police
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/utah-officer-fired-after-nurses-arrest-caught-on-video/ar-AAtgVA3?OCID=ansmsnnews11

A Utah police officer who was caught on video roughly handcuffing a nurse because she refused to allow a blood draw was fired Tuesday....

Payne was also fired from a part-time job as a paramedic after he was caught on camera saying he'd take transient patients to the University of Utah hospital where Wubbels worked and take the "good patients" elsewhere as retribution.

Payne had previously been disciplined in 2013 after internal-affairs investigators confirmed that he sexually harassed a female co-worker in a "persistent and severe" way.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
Saw that. My question was why he still had a job after 2013.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:19 AM »
Saw that. My question was why he still had a job after 2013.

Because thanks to police unions, firing a cop and making it stick is a Sisyphean task.

We had a local sheriff's deputy who brutally assaulted a man about four or five years ago and lied about it. Police dashcam was eventually obtained by third parties and proved what actually happened. The Sheriff fired him. Not for the assault, mind you, but for lying on the paperwork.

The deputy ended up suing the sheriff, and got an arbiter to reinstate him.  With backpay. :mad:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
Update:

The nurse did sue the hospital and the city, and she settled for $500,000. The cop was fired, and his supervisor was demoted.

http://www.newser.com/story/250939/nurse-will-use-payout-to-help-others-obtain-police-body-cam-footage.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »
Half a mil. Considering that lawyers will gobble up a bunch of that, I'd like it to be a little higher.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Update:

The nurse did sue the hospital and the city, and she settled for $500,000. The cop was fired, and his supervisor was demoted.

http://www.newser.com/story/250939/nurse-will-use-payout-to-help-others-obtain-police-body-cam-footage.html

Why sue the hospital?  Her nursing supervisor was backing her actions.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
Why sue the hospital?  Her nursing supervisor was backing her actions.

Maybe because hospital security just stood there and watched it happen?
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Maybe because hospital security just stood there and watched it happen?

That's my guess. The articles at the time of the incident mentioned something about retraining the security staff.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
There isn't a minimum wage paid rent-a-cop on Earth that will take a stand against the police. 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
She didn't sue the hospital itself, she sued the university that owns it. Part of the problem IIRC was a University police officer was present during the situation and did nothing to stop the SLC officer from illegally harassing/arresting the nurse. Perhaps she sued the university over that fact?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »
There isn't a minimum wage paid rent-a-cop on Earth that will take a stand against the police. 

Yeah, that seems pretty far outside their job description. It might be a different story if the cop had put his gun to the back of her head, but short of that, I wouldn't expect a security guard to do anything but observe and report.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
She didn't sue the hospital itself, she sued the university that owns it. Part of the problem IIRC was a University police officer was present during the situation and did nothing to stop the SLC officer from illegally harassing/arresting the nurse. Perhaps she sued the university over that fact?

Maybe so.  Or maybe her lawyer just sued everyone (with big bank accounts).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »

That makes sense.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »

They weren't rent-a-cops, they were real cops employed by the university.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2017, 10:38:09 PM »
They weren't rent-a-cops, they were real cops employed by the university.

Which explains why they wouldn't interfere with other real cops just making sure everybody gets to go home at the end of their shift. Thin blue line and all that...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2017, 10:45:22 PM »
Which explains why they wouldn't interfere with other real cops just making sure everybody gets to go home at the end of their shift. Thin blue line and all that...

That's probably right, hence the lawsuit.  The university police have qualified immunity, don't they?  The university doesn't.
"It's good, though..."