Author Topic: Let the panic buying resume: ATF proposes reclassifying steel core 5.56 as AP  (Read 22841 times)

Hutch

• friend
I must eat my earlier words on this matter, on this thread.  Please pass the Sriracha.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

cordex

• Administrator
I must eat my earlier words on this matter, on this thread.  Please pass the Sriracha.
While it is awesome that they withdrew their plan, it isn't over. Just a tactical retreat.  You can hold off on word eating for a bit.

Andiron

• friend
While it is awesome that they withdrew their plan, it isn't over. Just a tactical retreat.  You can hold off on word eating for a bit.

Sriracha is tasty,  and this isn't over.  I'll take a retreat though.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
According to an email sent out to its members, the Texas State Rifle Association was contacted by a Texas Congressman (John Culbertson, R-Harris Co.) who chairs a committee ". . . with direct influence over BATF . . ." and who convinced the BATmen to remove the ban - permanently.

More bothersome was this little tidbit:

. . . We were also told that the ban was actually the first of several.  All part of a "research project" designed to review many types of common ammunition which might be armor-piercing.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

De Selby

• friend
They'll need to change the law to do what they want - good luck with that
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

pawcatch

This wouldn't have happened without a Republican led congress and a sympathetic Fox News that the chicken littles love to bad mouth so much.
Thankfully the hyperbolic doomsdayers have been consistently wrong with it comes to predicting future gun laws and further bans.

So much for a supposedly "spineless" Republican congress, ehh?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Posting from the horse's mouth.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2015-03-021015-advisory-notice-those-commenting-armor-piercing-ammunition-exemption-framework.html

NOTICE TO THOSE COMMENTING ON THE ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION EXEMPTION FRAMEWORK

Thank you for your interest in ATF's proposed framework for determining whether certain projectiles are “primarily intended for sporting purposes” within the meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(C). The informal comment period will close on Monday, March 16, 2015. ATF has already received more than 80,000 comments, which will be made publicly available as soon as practicable.

Although ATF endeavored to create a proposal that reflected a good faith interpretation of the law and balanced the interests of law enforcement, industry, and sportsmen, the vast majority of the comments received to date are critical of the framework, and include issues that deserve further study. Accordingly, ATF will not at this time seek to issue a final framework. After the close of the comment period, ATF will process the comments received, further evaluate the issues raised therein, and provide additional open and transparent process (for example, through additional proposals and opportunities for comment) before proceeding with any framework.

Still hung up on sporting purposes it seems.  Yes, the 2nd Amendment is all about sporting purposes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
You have my sympathies.

Thanks.  Nothing back from his office yet.

Good news about the BATFE's about-face though, yes? Sure, it's nothing to get complacent about, but hey, every little bit helps!

MechAg94

• friend
This wouldn't have happened without a Republican led congress and a sympathetic Fox News that the chicken littles love to bad mouth so much.
Thankfully the hyperbolic doomsdayers have been consistently wrong with it comes to predicting future gun laws and further bans.

Maybe gun issues are one thing they believe their voters will hold against them the next election.  The gun groups like the NRA and similar groups generally do a good job of rating polticians and making sure people know about it the past issues.  I think a lot of gun guys also fall into that category of voter that rarely sees a politician they like, but might be easily motivated to vote against a candidate. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:33:14 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

brimic

• friends

If the republicans had a spine, they would end the practice of giving unelected bureacrats power to make laws unconstitutionally.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama