Author Topic: Let the panic buying resume: ATF proposes reclassifying steel core 5.56 as AP  (Read 22919 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Of course we still have the problem of the guns that shoot the ammo being "easier to buy than vegetables" (I assume that includes arugula).

I never had to fill out a 4473 to buy a head of lettuce.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Warner and Connolly have yet to respond, but I'm sure the letter will be the same. Not just the same general content - I expect it to be THE SAME LETTER, on their own letterhead. I'll let you know if that turns out to be the case.

You have my sympathies.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Publishing error, my Aunt Annie's fanny.  :mad:

I guess this was an accident, too:

ATF FRAMEWORK FOR DETERMINING WHETHER CERTAIN PROJECTILES ARE “PRIMARILY INTENDED FOR SPORTING PURPOSES” WITHIN THE MEANING OF 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(C)

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Library/Notices/atf_framework_for_determining_whether_certain_projectiles_are_primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf

That's no "publishing error", it's an official Notice of Determination. It's still out there, in effect, and with a comment period end date of 03/16/2015. I'd like to see how the sunzagrinches are gonna try and 'splain that away.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:24:14 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
B-b-but they tweeted that it was a publishing mistake.

Tweets take precedence over Notices of Determination, don't they?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I reserve the right to own concealable, armor-piercing weaponry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
Publishing error, my Aunt Annie's fanny.  :mad:

I guess this was an accident, too:

That's no "publishing error", it's an official Notice of Determination. It's still out there, in effect, and with a comment period end date of 03/16/2015. I'd like to see how the sunzagrinches are gonna try and 'splain that away.

Brad

It's a publishing error all right. They published it before they had all their ducks in a row. Some office monkeys head is gonna roll for that one.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
To be clear, the "publishing mistake" was removing the exemption for M855 in their 2014 ATF Regulation Guide, not in releasing their plans to ban M855.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
If M855 doesn't meet the criteria of being armor piercing why is there a specific exemption?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
I reserve the right to own concealable, armor-piercing weaponry.
You might be able to still find some 3006 black tip ammo.  Or just 3006 FMJ ammo.  Maybe just save up to get one of the semi-auto 50 caliber guns.  You can get all the AP/incendiary ammo you want.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
To be clear, the "publishing mistake" was removing the exemption for M855 in their 2014 ATF Regulation Guide, not in releasing their plans to ban M855.

Excactly, which they then tried to use as a convenient diveraion by saying "there"s no ban" in the tweet while they are actively taking comments on that very subject.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Kathy Jackson over at the Cornered Cat has a really good guest analysis.

http://www.corneredcat.com/guest-post-whats-the-story-behind-atf-banning-5-56mm-ammo/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
I saw 3 or 4 ammo cans at Academy yesterday.  900 rounds of M855 for $450.  The maker was Rio.  I normally only see their name on inexpensive shotgun ammo.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
$0.54/rnd, still available
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1079530362621/general-dynamics-ammunition-556x45mm-nato-62-grain-ss109-penetrator-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding
As opposed to $0.34 a round on 2/14.

OK, so what does this mean?

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Library/Publications/notice_of_publishing_error.pdf
The ATF published a regulations guide with the M855 exemption omitted as though the ban had already happened. They now claim that as an oversight rather than intentional.  Their proposal is still live.

birdman

• friend
As opposed to $0.34 a round on 2/14.

True, but less than the $0.90-1.00/rnd after sandy hook

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
You might be able to still find some 3006 black tip ammo.  Or just 3006 FMJ ammo.  Maybe just save up to get one of the semi-auto 50 caliber guns.  You can get all the AP/incendiary ammo you want.

I said "concealable." I'm certain I could find some .30-ought black-tip, but it's probably rusted up by now. Very damp down there, unfortunately.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend

I said "concealable." I'm certain I could find some .30-ought black-tip, but it's probably rusted up by now. Very damp down there, unfortunately.
The few rounds I have are fine.  We do have climate controlled homes down here. 

Has anyone ever made a 3006 pistol?  I know you can get a PTR-91 pistol in 308.  That will penetrate most body armor without specially ammo...or at least hit the person wearing it pretty hard.

freakazoid

• friend
The few rounds I have are fine.  We do have climate controlled homes down here. 

Has anyone ever made a 3006 pistol?  I know you can get a PTR-91 pistol in 308.  That will penetrate most body armor without specially ammo...or at least hit the person wearing it pretty hard.

You can get the Thompson Contender in 30-06.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
You can get the Thompson Contender in 30-06.

Encore.  Contender isn't strong enough for 30-06.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
Amazingly it is possible to scream loud enough for even the BATFEieio to notice...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/10/atf-shelves-controversial-bullet-ban-proposal/

Short story shorter: They are delaying any decision of the proposed Framework changes until "further considerations" can be made.

Translation: They got their hands caught in the cookie jar and, after a couple hundred thou (my guesstimate) screaming spittle-grams and an Official Nasty Note from more than half of House and Senate members, realized that We The People are dead serious about nailing them to the legal wall via the proposed change's direct conflict with FOPA '86. They will "further consider" how to not get their adzes publicly handed to them in a very televised Oversight Committee beat down session.

...which I would gladly pay to see.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:44:14 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Posting from the horse's mouth.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2015-03-021015-advisory-notice-those-commenting-armor-piercing-ammunition-exemption-framework.html

NOTICE TO THOSE COMMENTING ON THE ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION EXEMPTION FRAMEWORK

Thank you for your interest in ATF's proposed framework for determining whether certain projectiles are “primarily intended for sporting purposes” within the meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(C). The informal comment period will close on Monday, March 16, 2015. ATF has already received more than 80,000 comments, which will be made publicly available as soon as practicable.

Although ATF endeavored to create a proposal that reflected a good faith interpretation of the law and balanced the interests of law enforcement, industry, and sportsmen, the vast majority of the comments received to date are critical of the framework, and include issues that deserve further study. Accordingly, ATF will not at this time seek to issue a final framework. After the close of the comment period, ATF will process the comments received, further evaluate the issues raised therein, and provide additional open and transparent process (for example, through additional proposals and opportunities for comment) before proceeding with any framework.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:19:25 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
PSA had the 420 round cans of M855 in their daily email today for $250, which is about $80 or so more expensive.  I guess the price might get back to what it was in 6 months or a year.

wmenorr67

• friend
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/10/atf-shelves-controversial-bullet-ban-proposal/

The statement follows 52 senators and 238 House members joining in opposition to any attempt the Obama administration might make to ban the ammo.

Maybe someone has started to listen to the masses and realized that a line in the sand is quickly approaching.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Kingcreek

• friend
Although ATF endeavored to create a proposal that reflected a good faith interpretation of the law and balanced the interests of law enforcement, industry, and sportsmen, the vast majority of the comments received to date are critical of the framework, and include issues that deserve further study. Accordingly, ATF will not at this time seek to issue a final framework.
IOW, the outcry grew large enough and loud enough that it could no longer be ignored.
Score for our side.
What we have here is failure to communicate.