Author Topic: pot is harmless  (Read 15482 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: pot is harmless
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
have you read the story of what happened?  and in particular what aspect of edible products is a concern here?

Do you realize that THC is the active component of MJ and hash?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
I am sorry. Did you miss the part about the potency of edible products and the problems when the legal limits are exceeded? And by what amount they are being exceeded?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Oh.  Is that what you were referring to?  I couldn't tell, since you didn't actually, you know, refer to it . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

• friends
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:04 PM »
Oh.  Is that what you were referring to?  I couldn't tell, since you didn't actually, you know, refer to it . . .
in particular what aspect of edible products is a concern here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
But but but

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-heart-attack-stroke-marijuana-20140423,0,3208786.story

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/2/e000904.full

http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/3/2/e000638.full

I would type more about this, but the crushing chest pain right now is taking up all of my attention.....

I would respond to this in a presumably reasonable manner, including mentioning the fact that studies of the efficacy versus dangers associated with MJ use is difficult due to the fact it's illegal, but I won't; because I'm tired of responses along the lines of "nyah, nyah, nyah-nyah, nyah."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Or another response could be that this initial study shows a possible correlation, but due to the lack of controls and possible other confounding variables, cannot be used yet to draw a causal link.  But it will be interesting to see what further research brings.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Or another response could be that this initial study shows a possible correlation, but due to the lack of controls and possible other confounding variables, cannot be used yet to draw a causal link.  But it will be interesting to see what further research brings.

No, not really.

Because one side in this debate has conceeded that pot is harmful, even many times more harmful than it actually may be, even if only for the sake of argument.

We are arguing that the War on Drugs is worse than whatever harm might come from pot, meth, cocaine... etc. Because all that said war seems to accomplish is to drive up prices, which incentivizes crime and violence, or pushes addicts/users to seek out alternatives that may be even worse than what was originally banned.

The other side of the debate is going to just keep on persisting in dropping web links to articles about pot being harmful. Which is simply arguing at cross purposes.
I promise not to duck.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »

I agree that further research will be interesting.  Possibly even hilarious for those doing the research . . .

The abstract does a good job of pointing out the numerous and well-documented medicinal benefits, even going so far as to state "the role of medical marijuana is indisputable in patients suffering from chronic, debilitating pain."  It does however raise the concern that recreational use may lead to serious issues.  Determining that a health issue is related to MJ use is impossible if the patient experiencing the issue doesn't admit to using it recreationally, which is likely if there are legal repercussions to the admittance.  Further study is needed, which can only be facilitated by "de-stigmatizing" the substance.

I got a chuckle that one of the issues the abstract points out is "higher caloric intake."  Although an increase in appetite is no laughing matter for those undergoing chemotherapy, one of the many beneficial uses of MJ.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
We are arguing that the War on Drugs is worse than whatever harm might come from pot, meth, cocaine... etc. Because all that said war seems to accomplish is to drive up prices, which incentivizes crime and violence, or pushes addicts/users to seek out alternatives that may be even worse than what was originally banned.
Very much this.

For me, it isn't about pot being harmless, or even a net positive.  Whatever the case for or against pot as a pharmaceutical or recreational drug, the war against drugs does more harm for everyone than the drugs themselves, which have not exactly become unavailable due to the war that exists ostensibly to eliminate them.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
I have to wonder if the drug warriors somehow skipped elementary school American history, or if their textbooks just didn't discuss Prohibition?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »
I agree that further research will be interesting.  Possibly even hilarious for those doing the research . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjd74gzMAKU

[popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »
No, not really.

Because one side in this debate has conceeded that pot is harmful, even many times more harmful than it actually may be, even if only for the sake of argument.

The other side of the debate is going to just keep on persisting in dropping web links to articles about pot being harmful. Which is simply arguing at cross purposes.

I don't disagree with you on the War on Drugs.  But as someone who works in healthcare, I am keenly interested in the valid medical literature that shows either good or ill associated with tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, salt or whatever is commonly used by our patient population.  Because it can be relevant in patient treatment.  Some people may choose to believe only literature showing good, and some people may choose to believe only literature showing ill, but in healthcare, you really should be considering both sides from a therapeutic standpoint and have the literature and expert consensus guiding your treatment decisions accordingly.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
I don't disagree with you on the War on Drugs.  But as someone who works in healthcare, I am keenly interested in the valid medical literature that shows either good or ill associated with tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, salt or whatever is commonly used by our patient population.  Because it can be relevant in patient treatment.  Some people may choose to believe only literature showing good, and some people may choose to believe only literature showing ill, but in healthcare, you really should be considering both sides from a therapeutic standpoint and have the literature and expert consensus guiding your treatment decisions accordingly.

Having research results can also help people make informed decisions regarding lifestyle choices.  Just like alcohol, tobacco, salt, butter, jumping out of airplanes, or what-have-you.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »
Yes, but the fact is the currently is no unbiased research.  First, it's bad for you, then it's good for you, then it's both good and bad. 

What's that old saying?   The dose makes the poison.

Which I take to mean: "Everything in moderation". 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
Having research results can also help people make informed decisions regarding lifestyle choices.  Just like alcohol, tobacco, salt, butter, jumping out of airplanes, or what-have-you.

^^^^^ this in spades   not to be confused with the usual garbage from both sides of the bong (the side with the lighter and the side with the handcuffs)

well-documented medicinal benefits,

this cannot be  i heard it asserted that they don't allow research into the benefits

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2014, 03:09:44 AM »
One of the drugs I was offered while on Chemo was Dronabinol to combat the nausea/vomiting and to increase my appetite.

All the bene's of medical MJ without the nasty side effects (tar, etc. in the lungs).  Been around and on the market for quite a while.  (It's THC in a pill.)

So there's medical MJ in an easy to swallow pill.  But the fact it exists, but the medical MJ crowd ignores and down plays it and wants to smoke it instead simply proves they were (and are) a false flag operation.   And why I think they are FOS.  If you want to smoke it to get high, then say so, but don't try to sell it on it's snake oil properties. 

I don't care what you stick into your body and who or what you do it with.  But DO NOT ask me to clean up your mess, support your *expletive deleted*ss, or pay for your meals, drugs and housing.  Smoke until there's no O2 left in your room, I personally don't give a *expletive deleted*it.   

Take responsibility for what you do and don't do. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
Responsibility?!  Dude you're harshing my mellow

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
One of the drugs I was offered while on Chemo was Dronabinol to combat the nausea/vomiting and to increase my appetite.

All the bene's of medical MJ without the nasty side effects (tar, etc. in the lungs).  Been around and on the market for quite a while.  (It's THC in a pill.)

So there's medical MJ in an easy to swallow pill.  But the fact it exists, but the medical MJ crowd ignores and down plays it and wants to smoke it instead simply proves they were (and are) a false flag operation.   And why I think they are FOS.  If you want to smoke it to get high, then say so, but don't try to sell it on it's snake oil properties. 

Did THC pills work as well as MJ? 
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
Synthetic cannibinoids have a demonstrated track record as less effective, and causing more side effects.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
Not trying to give ya a hard time but would love to read the stuff on the synthetics.. its been an area of interest for decades

JN01

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »

I don't care what you stick into your body and who or what you do it with.  But DO NOT ask me to clean up your mess, support your *expletive deleted*, or pay for your meals, drugs and housing.  Smoke until there's no O2 left in your room, I personally don't give a *expletive deleted*.   

Take responsibility for what you do and don't do. 

Amen.

I also think the crime reduction resulting from legalization claim is overstated as well.  There might be a decrease initially, but in the long run, those who lose their easy income from selling illegal drugs will find something else illicit to make money from rather than finding a real job.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »
Synthetic cannibinoids have a demonstrated track record as less effective, and causing more side effects.

Mmmmm, no.   Actually the THC is the exact same at what's in MJ.   Chemistry is Chemistry and per my oncologist many of the other cancer patients found it easier to *ingest* then to light up.  He can also adjust the dosage to meet the patients needs.  They also report positive results.    Now he wasn't a fan of smoking MJ simply because the side effects of smoking were more detrimental (increase propensity for lung cancer due to the amount of carcinogens in the smoking of MJ).

I passed on both.  I was taking enough stuff that the thought of adding one more drug would have been a bridge too far. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »

No, that does not prove they are a false flag operation.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic