Author Topic: How do you store your firewood?  (Read 4299 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: How do you store your firewood?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
Come up to visit sometime.  You can haul away as much firewood as you want and can take.  My normal price $150/cord split.  I'll give you mates rates.  $100/cord split, $75/ cord unsplit cut at 16", $50/cord in 8' logs.  If you want it delivered, we can discuss a deal on that.
Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
The wood that is still not dry enough to burn gets stacked outside in more or less 1/2 cord rows. Wood that will be burned this year gets moved into my wood shed in late September/early October. The stacks that will burned this year will also get a cover in August.

Which is why they say wood heats three times before it is burned.  Now if we could just figure out a way to store all that heat from the spring, summer and fall for use during the winter.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
The previous owner left a fair size pile of 2 3/8" pipe on the grounds when he left.  Used that to build four 8' long x 4' tall racks with a couple of pipes welded to the bottom of each rack to keep the firewood about 5" off the ground. 

That worked well enough with tarps for a couple of years.  This year I raised the racks and placed them on top of pressure-treated 4"x4"'s, extended the tops of the racks by 12" on the outside racks and 30" on the center rack.  Attached some 2"x4" rafters, 1"x4" runners and put a peaked metal roof over it, with a run of gutter on the side nearest the house (don't like rain pouring down my neck while getting wood off the pile).  Wrapped 3 sides with a tarp for the winter only, the tarp comes off during the non-rainy season.  Figured it holds about 3 1/4 cords.

The cut wood waiting to be split is on pallets next to the racks, uncovered.

Spent this last summer getting rid of the trees that died during last years' drought and a few other trees (weeds) that were growing in the wrong places.  The racks are full, there's another 1/2 cord or so on some old corrugated metal roofing next to the racks, and a couple more cords on the pallets.  We're set for a couple of years at least; the way this winter's looking we may be good for 3 years or more - it's not shaping up to be either cold nor wet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
Friends of mine heated exclusively with wood for many years.

They lived on about 20 acres, with about 14 in timber.

At all times they had at least 8 cords of firewood split and drying.

Back in the 1980s my friend's father got tired of tarping it all, so he built himself a pole shed, about 20 feet wide and 60 or 70 feet long, all with timber from the property, including the shingles, which were cut with an old shingle mill. Then he scrounged up some railroad ties and rails and used those as the base for ricking the wood.

It stored more wood than he really needed, so he ended up making one end the cutting and splitting area.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
i have a shed open sided almost like a corn crib.  9 foot high  8 ft wide 10 ft long  if i stuff it it holds 5 cords  one years wood  metal roof lots of overhang so wood drys well
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I