Author Topic: How do you store your firewood?  (Read 4303 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
How do you store your firewood?
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
Part of this winter's project list is fixing up our fireplace insert and getting it up and running so we can use wood for a heat source. One thing I'm not sure about though, is how to store the wood to fuel it. We have a small suburban house, fairly large backyard but no outbuildings. And it's western Washington so it rains here a lot. I don't want to just stack it on the ground and put a tarp over it, as it'll rot and attract critters. So I need some type of platform to stack it on, but I'm not sure what to make it out of or how to design it. As for covering, I suppose a tarp would work (especially with standoffs on top of it to provide air space on top for circulation) but I'm wondering if there's a better way?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: How do you store your firewood?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »
here is some ideas

http://salefirewood.com/storage.html

I keep mine under my deck in a nice stack.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »
I have a gas fireplace, so I keep my firewood stuck in the ground with branches and leaves attached.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
here is some ideas

http://salefirewood.com/storage.html

I keep mine under my deck in a nice stack.

Got termites?  =|

Pretty dry climate here, so mine just goes in a big heap.  No tarp - I just keep some inside and progessively dry the wet stuff as it comes in.

Someday - a woodshed.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
Pallets work well to stack it on.  I just keep mine stacked in the open, but this is Southern Colorado (12" of precip per year).  I tarp mine if snow is forecast, but if I forget, I just sweep the snow off before it melts.  I also keep  3'x5' rack on the porch full, in case we get an extended spate of bad weather.

I think your situation calls for a woodshed.

Tons of info on woodburning here: http://www.arboristsite.com/

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
that site can give ya "wood envy"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
My dad used to put down a pair of runners of some kind, like 2x4s or metal fence posts, just to keep the wood off the ground. Then he tarped it. Now, he stacks it on the concrete pad under his covered deck.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
my dad did the runner thing as well, but didn't bother with the tarp (this for SW VA).  My parents didn't heat the entire house with wood, mainly burned wood in the fireplace to warm that one room (family room) and for "atmosphere".  He harvested a few cords of wood via national forest timber auctions and we used that for years until they converted the fireplace to gas logs. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
My dad does the 2x4 runners thing and stacks the wood behind a shed. He has a little "overhang" roof over the wood, plus still tarps it in the Winter. The tarp is mostly because they get the Tule fog there and that'll just soak right into the wood.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
Last weekend, I built the one described on this guy's blog:

http://spisblog.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/log-rack-plans/

Took only a couple of hours, and works fine.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Got termites?  =|

Pretty dry climate here, so mine just goes in a big heap.  No tarp - I just keep some inside and progessively dry the wet stuff as it comes in.

Someday - a woodshed.

No, I live north of the termite line.

I do get wood bees from time to time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
+1 on pallets....I keep mine on several pallets lined up under a couple of trees. Keeps the bottom row from rotting out. And the trees keep me from needing a tarp. Not enough rain this year to worry about it, anyway...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »
I keep mine on pallets in an old farm shed/grainery. Plenty of ventilation through the walls but the metal roof still sheds rain.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
Stacked on scrap wood between trees covered with tarps.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
A few of these and 2x4s - I used pressure-treated and had to trim to get them in the slots, but it meant only building it once.

A cord of wood is 4'x4'x8' - you are probably not going to be feeding anything longer than 24" into your insert, so 2 sets of 2 @ 10' + 2 @ 3' + 6* @ 5' makes you two half-cord cribs.  If you want to get fancy you can make a plywood "roof (but angle it instead of leaving it flat).

* Firewood is a lot to ask 2x4s to support - add a brackets and some uprights in the middle of your run.  There's no reason to string them to the outer posts and if you do it will just get in the way of stacking/removing your firewood.  (Trust me, I know this.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
Around here you need to keep your woodpile separated from your buildings, etc in case of a forest fire.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »
Stack it between trees. Don't use much of it during the winter anyways, so the bottom layer rotting isn't really a concern.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
I've got mine on landscaping timbers (got free) under tarps (From Menards, not free,specifically for Firewood).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:44:39 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
Stack it between trees. Don't use much of it during the winter anyways, so the bottom layer rotting isn't really a concern.

Good way to ignite your trees if a wildfire comes through  =(

I had to partially tear apart a stack of wood between two trees this past summer.  An ember had settled in the stack and had a few sticks of wood burning nicely.  Next thing would have been the trees torching and then the cute little log cabin a few feet away.

I saved the guy's cabin by that, and dragging away a few bits of scrap wood that had started smoldering right next to the cabin wall.  Just got lucky - fifteen or thirty minutes later the cabin would have been fully involved.  It just so happened that we got called away from the other house we had been protecting to come patrol around this guy's compound.

Our wood is in a heap next to the well, with a circle driveway around it separating the pile from both the garage and the adjoining forest.  It's a ways to wheelbarrow it in the winter to the door nearest the woodstove.

What I cannot believe is the folks who stack their firewood right next to their propane tank  :facepalm:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
The wood that is still not dry enough to burn gets stacked outside in more or less 1/2 cord rows. Wood that will be burned this year gets moved into my wood shed in late September/early October. The stacks that will burned this year will also get a cover in August.

A few years ago I acquired a pickup load of some treated lumber that just wasn't worth trying to build anything with crooked, twisted and cracked. 16' 2X6s and 20' 4X4s. They make good runners to keep the wood off the ground.

Another great site for info on wood stoves and wood heat in general.
http://www.hearth.com/talk/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »
Stacked on pallets, tarped and  parked in a row near the treeline.  Then just scoot them in with the skidsteer come fall.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Stacked on pallets, tarped and  parked in a row near the treeline.  Then just scoot them in with the skidsteer come fall.

There you go.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Good way to ignite your trees if a wildfire comes through  =(

Forest fires are so rare, in some places, that they're really not something to plan your wood storage around.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »

Forest fires are so rare, in some places, that they're really not something to plan your wood storage around.

Some places.

Anywhere west of Fort Worth is a different story.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
Some places.

Anywhere west of Fort Worth is a different story.
I'm way to the east of there.