Author Topic: Heller predictions?  (Read 12483 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Heller predictions?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
We need to see a reaffirmation of the 2nd as an individual and unrestrictable right.  Any other equivocation by any of these 'justices' will mean that tyranny is not far away.
Just out of curiousity. Are there any RTKBA restrictions at all you are willing to live with?

Would you agree to a mandatory requirement that a gun safety pamphlet be supplied with each gun sold?

Instant background check?

Is it OK with you if violent felons have firearms? How about the crazy dumpster diver that lives under the bridge?

Can children bring guns to school with them?

How about if violent felons have firearms while in prison?

no
yes
no,yes
yes
no
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 08:24:07 AM »
Would you agree to a mandatory requirement that a gun safety pamphlet be supplied with each gun sold?

No.

No.

Is it OK with you if violent felons have firearms? How about the crazy dumpster diver that lives under the bridge?

Yes. Also Yes.

What are "children" in this case? Toddlers? Then No. Sixteen year olds? Yes, sure.

Violent felons also can't pick out the color of their clothing while in prison. Or their food.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »

No.

No.

Yes. Also Yes.

What are "children" in this case? Toddlers? Then No. Sixteen year olds? Yes, sure.

Violent felons also can't pick out the color of their clothing while in prison. Or their food.

It's okay with you if VIOLENT felons, people who have already violently violated an innocent person's rights, have firearms?

Wow. Just....wow.

Yeah, you do need to live in the larger world more. undecided

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »
I was in Basic Training with two "violent felons". One fellow who did a long time [20 years, IIRC] on attempted homicide, and then got out. In Israel, you can "legally redeem yourself" by exemplary Army service, so that's what he did.

They had no issues with giving him a rifle of a kind you are not allowed to own.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
Not a big deal to me; especially if it's something as simple as a gun safety sheet available in the store - like credit card pamphlets.  Or if the manual for the firearm(containing safety information specific for that firearm) counts.

Yes - there's issues with it, can stand to be cleaned up, but not a big deal.

Not in general - I think that even violent felons should have a path to get their rights restored.  The Crazy dumpster diver, assuming no other disqualifications, may have one.

Define 'child' - a elementary student bringing a gun to school is a failure on the part of the adult who lost control of a firearm to the point that a child can get ahold of it.  Not a reason for suspending the kid under normal circumstances.  Jr High on?  Depends on the situation.  I'm certainly not for a blanket ban.  I support the schools have active safety and shooting programs.  A gang banger bringing a piece in to shoot a rival can be busted under existing assault laws and such.

That's like asking if the 2nd covers nukes.  Of course not - just like they mostly don't have the right to vote anymore, their speech can be restrained, privacy annulled, etc...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
I was in Basic Training with two "violent felons". One fellow who did a long time [20 years, IIRC] on attempted homicide, and then got out. In Israel, you can "legally redeem yourself" by exemplary Army service, so that's what he did.

They had no issues with giving him a rifle of a kind you are not allowed to own.

And an unrepentant MS-13 sort who gets out and will still beat down anyone for looking at them wrong? You'd let them buy one?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »

And an unrepentant MS-13 sort who gets out and will still beat down anyone for looking at them wrong? You'd let them buy one?

Look. The answer is, in my mind, complex.

For one, we need (and I don't care if it's America, Israel, Spain for this purpose, the problem is everywhere) tougher punishment for all violent and property crimes.

A person who committed a serious violent felony, and who has a past of previous violent misdemeanours, should receive a long jail sentence.

By this I mean:

If a person who was previously upright commits a crime they should receive a reasonable, yet stern sentence.

But if a career gang-banger commits a robbery, they should spend 20, 30 years in a dank cell. Then, when their hair is grey and they're old and tired, sure, they can start hunting ducks again.

There should never BE such a thing as a fourth robbery conviction. Or an 64th burglary conviction.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
It's okay with you if VIOLENT felons, people who have already violently violated an innocent person's rights, have firearms?

There are a lot of things that are not "okay" with me, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be illegal.

If a violent ex-con wants a gun he is going to get one somehow.  I'd just as soon he bought it at the store instead of breaking in and stealing mine.

Gun control laws only affect those who aren't a problem to begin with.

I suppose I would be okay with permit-less CCW (VT, AK) being denied to those with a felony record, not that it would do a whole lot of good.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »

There are a lot of things that are not "okay" with me, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be illegal.

If a violent ex-con wants a gun he is going to get one somehow.  I'd just as soon he bought it at the store instead of breaking in and stealing mine.

Gun control laws only affect those who aren't a problem to begin with.

I suppose I would be okay with permit-less CCW (VT, AK) being denied to those with a felony record, not that it would do a whole lot of good.

No, I actually don't mind NICS.

Just today, I was in a store where a couple of young thuggish sorts with the "attitude" scowl came in and started prowling around, not making eye contact with anyone. They only went for the cheapest AKs on the floor and handled them. Then when one asked about "Where I ring this up?", and was told about the background check, they froze, then got even more of an attitude look, ignored the clerk's "Can I help you with anything else?" and shuffled out.

And you know? That's a good thing. The behavior and body language was just wrong. Even the clerks looked at each other with a nod after they left. It was the sort of body language that made me have heightened awareness of my own position vs. the door, cover, and where my own weapon was. THAT sense.

I would bet ten to one they had rap sheets that'd spill across the floor.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
I have no problem restricting rights of Violent Felons, but I think there should be a Path for restoring their rights if they behave themselves.  Military service would be a good thing to tie into that path as mentioned above.  I also agree with MicroBalrog that sentencing should be harsher for repeat offenders who repeatedly commit robberies and violent crimes. 

I don't have an issue with NICS either.  As noted, it gives some backing to FFL dealers so they are not responsible for determining who is legal or not.  It is also one of those things that satisfies a lot of fence sitters who think there are no restrictions to buying guns over the counter at all.  I agree the system and the BATFE enforcement of it could use some cleanup. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »

Well...
He can buy it from a gun store and pay tax to the state, indirectly register the thing to him self thru the 4473 or he can buy it on the street.

Buying it on the street is a huge contributor to crime because the guys selling the illegal guns have to get them somewhere - maybe from you.

So our choice is to let the criminal buy the gun at the gunstore, collect tax on it and have some traceability (probably useless) or have him buy it on the street and indirectly increase crime over and above what it would otherwise have been.

Seems like a no brainer to me...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
Would you agree to a mandatory requirement that a gun safety pamphlet be supplied with each gun sold? It serves no purpose, so I see no need for it. If a manufacturer wants to include something like the Four Rules in the instruction manual, that's not a bad thing, but I see no need for a government mandate.

Instant background check? I'd like to prevent certain classes of people - illegal aliens and minor children, for example - from buying guns, but if you're an adult and are free, you should be able to buy a gun.

Is it OK with you if violent felons have firearms? Violent felons belong in jail. If they can't be trusted with a gun, they can't be trusted to run around loose.

How about the crazy dumpster diver that lives under the bridge? Define "crazy." Unless he's committed a crime or shown himself to be a threat to others, yes.

Can children bring guns to school with them? Generally, no - children are not just short adults, and there are valid reasons that they are restricted from some adult activities, including drinking alcohol, voting, etc. Some age-based restrictions ARE appropriate. Most of these ought to go away once the "child" is old enough to vote or serve in the armed forces.

How about if violent felons have firearms while in prison? Prisoners have few rights - they're being punished for their actions. So this is a resounding no.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 04:35:05 AM »
Would you agree to a mandatory requirement that a gun safety pamphlet be supplied with each gun sold? It serves no purpose, so I see no need for it. If a manufacturer wants to include something like the Four Rules in the instruction manual, that's not a bad thing, but I see no need for a government mandate.

Personally, I was picturing something like a trifold 8.5x11 pamphlet, much like many credit card applications.  Plenty of room for a number of safety rules, a bit on the law, etc...   Instead of 'supplied with each gun sold', a stack of them would be available on the gun counter.  Anybody's free to take one if they want it.  I think that it'd be pretty useful to somebody buying their first gun, who hasn't ever shot before, and they're buying it used from a gun store without the manual.

It's much better than requiring a $5 'gun lock' that can be bypassed by a six year old.  It's more likely to be effective, and not of significant cost.  Constitutionally wise, I think it'd hold up even in fairly conservative courts.  If NICS isn't considered to violate the 2nd, then this won't.

I'll say that if MicroBalrog's sentencing structures actually happen, I'd respond that dismanteling NICS would make sense afterwards.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 04:54:42 AM »
I'll say that if MicroBalrog's sentencing structures actually happen, I'd respond that dismanteling NICS would make sense afterwards.

I need to elaborate, I think, that these are my 'perfect-world' positions. I realize fully that now is not the time, nor the place, to really try and promote any of these.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 05:01:21 AM »

I need to elaborate, I think, that these are my 'perfect-world' positions. I realize fully that now is not the time, nor the place, to really try and promote any of these.

There will never be a perfect world. Ever.

There will always be fools and idiots drooling their moronic ideas on the legislative floors.

There will aways be violent criminals who want to take, or just hurt and kill people.

At some point, you realize this.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
Naturally I did not mean 'perfect world' literally.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
In Israel, you can "legally redeem yourself" by exemplary Army service, so that's what he did.

"The Dirty Dozen" concept put into practice. That's cool.  cool
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
In Israel, you can "legally redeem yourself" by exemplary Army service, so that's what he did.

If only we offered that for American criminals.....or illegal aliens....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »

People would throw fits.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »

People would throw fits.

Yep......and I'd enjoy it, too....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Pyle

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
Just a guess but I think this Court would like to make a "statement" with this ruling.  Why not?  I don't believe this will be a narrow ruling.  DC ban will be overturned, and guidance will be provided.  The individual right will be affirmed.  What can I say - I'm an optimist by nature....  grin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
Given certain court decisions in the last few years, I'm not holding my breath.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:03 PM »
I'll stick with 7-2 for us, but narrow.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.