Author Topic: Rudely Displaying a Firearm  (Read 20112 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
Doesn't specify in print open or concealed. Can't see vid on my phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

If the pistol was concealed, he was in compliance with the law

If you don't know, why are you making assertions ?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »
I read somewhere that the handgun was concealed but I don't recall which article.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »
Other than for not allowing cop to disarm him as required under tge statute mentioned earlier
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
If the pistol was concealed, he was in compliance with the law

If you don't know, why are you making assertions ?

Making it up as he goes along.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Other than for not allowing cop to disarm him as required under tge statute mentioned earlier

But the statute only applies to concealed handguns, not open carry rifles.

Funny, I doubt the cop even knew about the handgun when he asked him to hand over the rifle  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
But the statute only applies to concealed handguns, not open carry rifles.

Funny, I doubt the cop even knew about the handgun when he asked him to hand over the rifle  :lol:

§ 411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM.  A peace
officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's
official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer
reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the
license holder, officer, or another individual.  The peace officer
shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging
the license holder from the scene if the officer determines that the
license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or
another individual and if the license holder has not violated any
provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that
results in the arrest of the license holder.

so its your position he couldn't ask him for the rifle?   it just says disarm.  i think whats gonna leave teethmarks is the presumption that he should as a license holder comply with those provisions that he agreed to when he got the license.

i think hes got no chance just on gp of selling the idea that the cop could not disarm him. he was a classic example of why its "less than wise" to pretend you are a lawyer on the side of the road,  i do feel bad for his kid though. he made choices i would not have.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends

• friends
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 07:01:39 PM »
didn't texas drop "must inform"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
so its your position he couldn't ask him for the rifle?   it just says disarm.  i think whats gonna leave teethmarks is the presumption that he should as a license holder comply with those provisions that he agreed to when he got the license.

so its your position that he could only ask him for the rifle because he was a license holder ?   :lol:

• friends
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »
No its my position that as i license holder he chose to submit to a higher standard and should have been aware.
At most hes got an administrative beef if the first cop was rude and just tried to grab his ar. And thats subjective.
He bucked up on being disarmed long enough for backup to show up. Hes hosed. Place to make his stand was court. And he may regret his vids. Anything you say can and will be used against you. And he admits to not allowing the cop to disarm him.   Good luck with that

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
Ahhh. So when one gets a permission slip to exercise a CONSTITUTIONAL right, one forfeits their rights under other sections of law? Cool
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
Ahhh. So when one gets a permission slip to exercise a CONSTITUTIONAL right, one forfeits their rights under other sections of law? Cool

one choses to enter into that contract

or one can be a real revolutionary

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Context CSD.

411.207 applies to the concealed handgun that is being carried by the license holder. The authority to disk doesn't apple to anything you might happen to have on you. That's why its a subsection of the CHL law.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »
Context CSD.

411.207 applies to the concealed handgun that is being carried by the license holder. The authority to disk doesn't apple to anything you might happen to have on you. That's why its a subsection of the CHL law.

Did you just have a stroke? :-)
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
Context CSD.

is it then your position that they could not legally take the ar?  really?

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »
PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating

can a rifle be considered a club?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
didn't texas drop "must inform"?

Nope.  The "must inform" part of the law is still there.  But they did remove the punishment for not informing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2013, 04:51:09 AM »
Did you just have a stroke? :-)
New tablet. Predictive typing is still a little wonky.

is it then your position that they could not legally take the ar?  really

I don't know all of Texas law, but the particular piece you quoted wouldn't apply to the AR since it gives the officer the right to take a concealed handgun in the context of licensing to carry said handgun. You quote even mentions "the handgun".

Does Texas have some broad disarmament law for people not carrying concealed? It seems odd that they'd have to specify it in the CHL law if it already existed.

ETA: While we're on the subject that statute doesn't give LEO's carte blanche to take any concealed handgun that might make them nervous.  The LEO must "reasonably believe it is necessary for the protection...."  I have no idea what case law is, but the law's drafters clearly felt there needed to be some justification.

Without video of the first part of encounter we don't know what the perceived danger was.

I confess if I was walking along minding my own buisness and a LEO walked up and told me to, for example, lay my rifle on the ground, with no other reasoning I might be a little ticked too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:27:47 AM by dogmush »

• friends
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:58 AM »
I might be too. Lawyer and a talk with chief in order. Attempting some kinda roadside lesson? Unwise. Some folks get used to being the sgt or the gunny and adjust less well to not being in charge.
Worst case of that i ever saw was a lt col. It had bad results for him too

• friends
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »
So cops there have dash cams?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »
Attempting some kinda roadside lesson? Unwise. Some folks get used to being the sgt or the gunny cop and adjust less well to not being in charge someone that doesn't submit to illegal procedures.

Let me play devils advocate.

Why is it the MSG's fault the cop (hypothetically) didn't know the law? What if the LEO in question wanted to steal the AR? (has happened).  Or better yet what if you are still scripting your plea to the judge as the cop pulls his car full of uppity civil rights radicals into the swamp?

Why should we blindly follow law enforcements commands?

• friends
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
Which law do you believe the cop didn't know?
Do you think the law and courts won't support disarming someone while responding to a mwag call?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Which law do you believe the cop didn't know?

Nobody has yet found a law that covers disarming a man open carrying a rifle.  So less didn't know the law and more making it up as they go.

Do you think the law and courts won't support disarming someone while responding to a mwag call?

Dunno. generally the courts have upheld that you don't even have to stop and talk to cops, much less give them your property, unless they are investigating a crime.  A man walking down the (dirt) road with an slung AR would be evidence of what crime in texas exactly?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
Nobody has yet found a law that covers disarming a man open carrying a rifle.  So less didn't know the law and more making it up as they go.

Dunno. generally the courts have upheld that you don't even have to stop and talk to cops, much less give them your property, unless they are investigating a crime.  A man walking down the (dirt) road with an slung AR would be evidence of what crime in texas exactly?

Done that plenty of times with a shotgun when I was a kid hunting pheasants.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
Done that plenty of times with a shotgun when I was a kid hunting pheasants.

Joe Biden approves this message.