Main Forums > The Roundtable

EVs not ready for prime time?

<< < (30/33) > >>

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: dogmush on April 02, 2024, 10:55:25 AM ---I don't think EV's are that much heavier than their competitors these days.

Tesla Model 3: 3800-4000lbs
BMW m340 xdrive: 3988 lbs
Audi S4: 3847lbs

Kona SE EV: 3571 lbs
Kona SR Gas: 3203 lbs

Lucid Air: 5200lbs
Mercedes S-Class: 5000lbs
BMW 760i X-drive: 5917 lbs (!?!)

They seem to be within about a trailer park denizen's weight of their competitors.

You'd be be better off hitting at the anti-energy infrastructure nazis that are going to keep people that could easily use EV's in ICE cars until the bitter (browned out) end.  THe answer is EV's where they make sense, and ICE where it makes sense.  And just like diesel, you will get some idiots that use a fuel where it doesn't make sense, just because they like the idea of it, and that's OK too.

Side Note: while googling those weights, I discovered that the Hummer EV is slightly more than 5 tons.  Which is ridiculous, and makes me thing GM is using a lead acid battery or some *expletive deleted*it.

--- End quote ---

I watched a video about someone's homebrew EV conversion.  (His "rolling resume", as he went to work for one of the manufacturer's/.)  A EV VW Passant stuffed with enough batteries to give him a ~100mile range (typical for what I see claimed for conversions), weighted about what car+3 extra passengers did.  Not horrible.

--edit to add--

This I think: My EV conversion after 10 years and 90k miles

zahc:

--- Quote from: Perd Hapley on April 01, 2024, 05:24:02 PM ---https://the-pipeline.org/time-to-put-team-e-v-on-defense/

tl;dr version is that the EV nazis will not stop trying to take away your ICE vehicles until you hit back at their EVs. To wit:

--- End quote ---

This is brilliant!

Perd Hapley:

--- Quote from: dogmush on April 02, 2024, 10:55:25 AM ---The answer is EV's where they make sense, and ICE where it makes sense. 

--- End quote ---

The problem with this is that making sense is not a priority. The priority seems to be:

Phase 1:  crush your freedoms

Phase 2:  ?

Phase 3:  Profit! (or something)

WLJ:
Teslas cutting 10% of it's workforce
Tesla is reporting it first decline in sales in nearly 4 years.
and did any one hear about an arson attack while is mentioned in the article on one of it's factories?

'There is nothing I hate more': How Elon Musk delivered news that 10% of Tesla's global workforce of 140,000 would be axed to keep the EV maker 'lean and hungry for the next growth cycle'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13310433/Elon-Musk-tesla-memo-hate-more.html

WLJ:
Not the Babylon Bee

Pro tip: Do not update your Teslas's software while sitting in a parking lot in the hot sun.
Then says she was stuck in the car the whole time despite them having manual door handles.  :facepalm:

--- Quote ---A Tesla owner was left horrified after she got stuck in her Tesla when she tried to update the car's system in a Chic-Fil-A parking lot.

Brianna Janel expected the software update to take 24 minutes but she was trapped inside her vehicle in Costa Mesa, California for close to 40 minutes last month.

She complained it was 103 degrees in the Tesla and was concerned she might run out of air as she was unable to roll down the windows.

Janel posted a video of her ordeal on TikTok where it has been viewed almost 30 million times.

Tesla does have manual door releases which are designed to be used when the vehicle has no power but she decided to wait in case she damaged her car.
--- End quote ---

Tesla owner left horrified after getting stuck in her car as temperature hits 103 degrees when she tried to update its software in Chick-fil-A parking lot
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13382795/tesla-driver-trapped-updating-cars-software-tiktok.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version