Author Topic: Amazing video of South Carolina police shooting  (Read 22508 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Amazing video of South Carolina police shooting
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
Why do you think he was running? Why do folks run? And how do you determine why without grabbing them?
Contrary to popular tv most bad guys do not get caught by forensics or slick police work. They get caught for dead tags or something simple. When someone tries bush parole on a broken tail light it raises suspicions that they have more serious issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Officer safety! 

The video is pretty much the verdict.  He f'ing squared up and took aim like it was target practice.  Might as well have had a pack of dogs for the hunt.

He didn't look at all confused as to the location of the drop-item afterwards. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
Lots of side issues related to the incident.  SC has been under the gun so to speak for the number of police shooting after which offending LE is deemed clean and pure.  Ferguson prompted some locales to reconsider the enthusiasm with which they purse shooting cops.  Along comes this story which will attract the attention of the Usual Suspects.  If they could put down the bullhorn for a while and investigate the entire pattern police shooting they could have everything they sought to create in Ferguson.

One immediate consequence will be expedited approval of bodycams.  Necessary but hardly sufficient to highlight and fix the problem.  This cop was busted by a private citizen filming a cop at work.  Any legislation stopping the filming police at work should be canned immediately. 

One last angle yet to receive attention is the initial explanation the officer put forward and how it varied from the event as recorded.  Lots more on this one to come.  Cop's attorney bailed out immediately upon seeing the video.
http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/04/08/sc-white-on-black-shooting-drama-the-latest/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
Given his initial story of the struggle, how the heck was he planning to justify 5 shots into the back, at a distance?   Or is he being tossed under the bus due to the video, while the police wouldn't have bothered to look too closely if it hadn't surfaced?

That was a rhetorical question, yes?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »
That was a rhetorical question, yes?

Sort of.  He had free representation and the police were already reporting, on the basis of his statements that Mr. Scott was struggling with him for the taser, indeed, that he attempted to USE the taser on the officer.

The second part is my cynicism showing.  Basically, from the video and reports of officer testimony, there should have been enough evidence to fire him and probably to charge him with murder even without the video, but sadly I think the video was necessary to actually get this result.

Evidence such as - location of shell casings, shot from behind, 5 times, rather than in front.  Lack of flash burns indicating point blank range of shooting(within range of struggle).  Etc...

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
Cops statement of incident was not at all similar to the video. That says it all that needs to be said. The idiot with a badge is a murderer. Plain and simple.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
Cops statement of incident was not at all similar to the video. That says it all that needs to be said. The idiot with a badge is a murderer. Plain and simple.

I hope the person who took the video is able to remain anonymous -- cuz the cops will burn his house down if they find out who it is.

ETA: Associate Press just published the guy's name.   :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »
I hope the person who took the video is able to remain anonymous -- cuz the cops will burn his house down if they find out who it is.

ETA: Associate Press just published the guy's name.   :facepalm:

Yep, they are going to Dorner his house down.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
Officer safety! 

The video is pretty much the verdict.  He f'ing squared up and took aim like it was target practice.  Might as well have had a pack of dogs for the hunt.

He didn't look at all confused as to the location of the drop-item afterwards. 

Well, now that De Selby's chimed in, my mind is made up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
Well, now that De Selby's chimed in, my mind is made up.

Well,  say what you want ..... something very unusual has  happened.......

De Selby   was right!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
And mike geragos is on board too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »

De Selby   was right!!!

More like if Me, you and others all agree with De Selby, then there is something so there that it can't be refuted- like 'water is wet.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »

De Selby   was right!!!

Does this prove that he is capable of rational thought after all or was it just a once in a millennia alignment of the stars?
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
Does this prove that he is capable of rational thought after all or was it just a once in a millennia alignment of the stars?
 =D
Broken clock effect.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 07:21:22 PM »
 =D

He has yet to tell us whether the police officer looks like a pervert. I await his judgment on the matter.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
Getting back on topic: there is a crowdfunding effort for the officer's legal defense:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/09/sf-based-indiegogo-hosts-crowdfunding-for-defense-of-cop-accused-in-south-carolina-murder/

Apparently gofundme did not allow it, so they went to indiegogo.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 08:10:52 PM »
We’re campaigning to show our Support for Officer Michael T. Slager! We believe in all of our LEOs and want to publicly support them! Although he may have made mis-steps in judgement he was protecting the community.

From what? This wasn't a "mis-step" that resulted in someone getting a parking ticket he didn't deserve. This was a "mis-step" that ended a person's life.

Michael is a former Coast Guardsman ...

So was the guy he killed.

... with two stepchildren and a wife who is expecting a child, served for more than five years with the department without being disciplined. Please help in any way you can. He has served five years with the department without being disciplined.

From the "damned by faint praise" department, I guess. So what we're saying is that Officer Slager is a bit on the slow side, and it took him five years before he stepped on his crank. (Although he did seem to move fairly briskly when he jogged back to move the taser over next to the victim's body.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:50:28 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
Fundraiser is a good example of the fact that some people don't care if the cops commit murder, if they don't like the victim.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 08:29:27 PM »
 =D

Remember that the APS definition of rational thought requires comparison to tea party media releases - the general rule here is that if your posts could be from the comments box at a Ted Cruz rally, they will be deemed reasonable.

Anything else, like say, citing studies or putting together an argument that challenges the party line, is inherently irrational.  Questioning basic American conservative beliefs here is like burning the Koran in Tehran.

If there hadn't been a video no doubt there'd be a great controversy and much attacking of the racial equality types who claim that police have an easier time shooting black people.  An interesting hypothetical to consider is whether this video is at all realistic with a white victim.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
Does the witness to the tussle change anything?
I would love to read the statements of all the cops. If the shooter or anyone else lied about where the taser ended up it's done. If they tell the truth I think he can beat the criminal charges, he could beat the firing too if there was a police union but I suspect there is not. If he beats the rap it's gonna get noisy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
Remember that the APS definition of rational thought requires comparison to tea party media releases - the general rule here is that if your posts could be from the comments box at a Ted Cruz rally, they will be deemed reasonable.

Anything else, like say, citing studies or putting together an argument that challenges the party line, is inherently irrational.  Questioning basic American conservative beliefs here is like burning the Koran in Tehran.

If there hadn't been a video no doubt there'd be a great controversy and much attacking of the racial equality types who claim that police have an easier time shooting black people.
Any time there is little available evidence in a controversial case there are people who make broad statements without facts to back it up, and who will get very invested in the outcome on either side.  Some or all of them will be wrong as to the facts of the specific case. Not sure why that is supposed to be interesting.

An interesting hypothetical to consider is whether this video is at all realistic with a white victim.
What do you mean?  Whether or not it is realistic that a bad cop might (apparently) overreact and murder a white guy?

BeenDoneBro.pdf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:59:44 PM by cordex »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Does the witness to the tussle change anything?
I would love to read the statements of all the cops. If the shooter or anyone else lied about where the taser ended up it's done. If they tell the truth I think he can beat the criminal charges, he could beat the firing too if there was a police union but I suspect there is not. If he beats the rap it's gonna get noisy

You are very optimistic.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »

And you hang around, why? Bringing enlightenment to the fuzzy-wuzzies?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
Plenty of shooting cases where the officer alleged that the suspect "charged towards" him in the absence of weapons or even physical contact. Maybe this guy could use the "charged away into the wild green yonder" defense/justification...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jury trial=conviction in this case. I look at this video again and again and I see nothing but contempt for life in the officer's actions. There was a clear calculated and determined decision to kill the man. Look at the last shot that put him down. Pause... good sight alignment... bam!

• friends
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
I don't know with a jury all you need is one guy outa 12 to walk. A bench trial you get a judge who generally is more inclined to rule based on the law which is why in a case like this some guys chose a bench trial. A lot will depend on his lawyer and the assessment of the type of judge they will likely get

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
It's a shame there is no video of them on the ground and how it got from there to their feet again