Author Topic: Geraldo weighs in  (Read 20535 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Geraldo weighs in
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Assuming objectivity is a goal presumes facts not in evidence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
:laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »
There aren't many activists on this one.  Maybe you?   =D
There arent many?  Are you seriously saying that in a thread about Geraldo?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »
Are you positing geraldo as a pro cop activist?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Are you positing geraldo as a pro cop activist?

the activists I was referring to are those who organised around the Ferguson case.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
Ahhh yes ferguson. The last narrative that did not play out the way some folks had planned. 0 for 2 with trayvon
The hat trick may loom

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
Ahhh yes ferguson. The last narrative that did not play out the way some folks had planned. 0 for 2 with trayvon
The hat trick may loom

The comparisons are ill considered.  This is a completely different shooting as it's entirely on video.  

It's also important to note that there is a difference between a shooting that is never charged and one that goes to a jury.  The trayvon folks were right that a charge would proceed - it did, and luckily for Zimmerman with an incompetent prosecution.

There's an actual murder charge laid now.  There's basically zero chance it will be resolved any other way than with a finding of guilty/not guilty.  There's not going to be an administrative determination of determination of law that saves the shooter.

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 11:47:06 PM »
Bit in the middle is missing. I know you want to believe it does not count. Good luck with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
Bit in the middle is missing. I know you want to believe it does not count. Good luck with that

Those "analyses" of the video are the right's version of the patriarchal/white conspiracy types.

There should just be an app that automatically posts "officer safety!" Over and over.  It would be as much use to the defense as anything else in this case.

• friends
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 12:34:36 AM »
These are the same folks that dug out the audio of an a an actual witness debunking hands up
Their track record is better than yours

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »
These are the same folks that dug out the audio of an a an actual witness debunking hands up
Their track record is better than yours

Okay, let's try stepping away from the person and consider the logic here:

Given:

1. The Ferguson shooting audio didn't match a witness account
2. George Zimmerman was acquitted of murder
3. A conservative blog commented on both
4. I predicted Zimmerman would go on trial (possibly for 2nd degree, although I called that a stretch) and be convicted

Therefore:  conservative blog's analysis of the SC video is right.

Please tell me where I have aired in that summary.  I shouldn't have to point out that no method logic could possibly draw the conclusion from the premises there.

• friends
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2015, 12:51:12 AM »
You erred in your pronouncements in both cases. Profoundly so. And the hat trick is in sight

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
Well, supposing the fellow that got shot got and used the taser on Officer Shootemup, that makes it a mite hairier and less clear cut than I thought in the previous thread.

Coming as a result of a Gerry Rivers commentary stings a bit.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
You erred in your pronouncements in both cases. Profoundly so. And the hat trick is in sight

Uh, sorry, what was my pronouncement on brown?

• friends
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:57 AM »
I stand corrected you were on sabbatical for brown

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
I stand corrected you were on sabbatical for brown

I was far from on sabbatical but I was still practicing law.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »
Well, supposing the fellow that got shot got and used the taser on Officer Shootemup, that makes it a mite hairier and less clear cut than I thought in the previous thread.

Coming as a result of a Gerry Rivers commentary stings a bit.

I don't know how it changes anything. The victim was still running away and posed no threat to the officer or to anyone else in the vicinity when he was shot -- in the back.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »
I don't know how it changes anything. The victim was still running away and posed no threat to the officer or to anyone else in the vicinity when he was shot -- in the back.
And that is the question.  How do the events leading up to that affect the consequences of what happened after?  This may turn quite a bit on the lawyer arguments and presentation. 

I think he will likely get found guilty of something unless there is even more evidence we haven't seen.  The link CS&D posted makes me think it won't be first degree murder. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
Re:
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
I am waiting for a reduced plea. I think this kinda case generates a lot of fear

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
The comparisons are ill considered.  This is a completely different shooting as it's entirely on video.
Yeah, except it's NOT entirely on video.  The altercation took place over 2 minutes and some 200 or 300 yards, and very little of it is actually caught on video.  

Based on the frame clock on the video, the two go from struggling to breaking contact, Scott turning and sprinting while Slager draws, aims, and starts firing, all in under 2 seconds.  2 Seconds ain't a lot of time to react.  From break to the final shot fired is about 4 seconds, which still ain't a lot of time.

Do you honestly think you could react better, under stress, immediately after a fight, under those time constraints?  I'd like to think that I would, but I'm honest enough to admit I can't be sure.

Hell, I struggle to reliably draw, aim and fire in 1 second under relaxed and controlled circumstances.  Add stress, fear, fighting, adrenalin, decision making, having just sprinted 200 yards, possibly having just been tasered by my own taser...  No way I could say I'd perform any better.

Also, let's be clear about what the video shows and doesn't show.  For instance, it does not show who else might have been in the vicinity, nor who else might have been at risk.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »
He found it in Al Capone's vault.

I remember that TV special.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
None of that matters.  Police should be trained on "Shoot, Don't Shoot"  (The old Hogan's Alley trainer).  It's fundamental police training.  Both as part of the Academy and periodic refresher.

It would be the same as if you shot the guy in your front yard that just tried to break-in to your home and he was running away.

No longer a threat.  The possibility that he might latter hurt someone is not a factor.  Can he hurt someone now?   That is the question.

(And with another officer coming around to head him off at the pass, that makes that a hard one to convince a jury.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »
He's toast. And he should be. This is the way it should be. No more free passes because you are a cop. You screw up, you get charged and a jury will decide.  This will happen more often, as it should.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-reserve-deputy-73-charged-degree-manslaughter-stun/story?id=30277587
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »
He's toast. And he should be. This is the way it should be. No more free passes because you are a cop. You screw up, you get charged and a jury will decide. It's will happen more often, as it should.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-reserve-deputy-73-charged-degree-manslaughter-stun/story?id=30277587

Has similarities to the Oscar Grant shooting in California (cop mistook his sidearm for a Taser): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant#Sentencing

It might be a good idea to design Tasers, stun guns, and similar devices with a look and feel distinctly different from a firearm.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
He's toast. And he should be. This is the way it should be. No more free passes because you are a cop. You screw up, you get charged and a jury will decide.  This will happen more often, as it should.

I approve of LEOs getting the same treatment as non-LEO citizens.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
Has similarities to the Oscar Grant shooting in California (cop mistook his sidearm for a Taser): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant#Sentencing

It might be a good idea to design Tasers, stun guns, and similar devices with a look and feel distinctly different from a firearm.

As far as looks, I thought they already were. In terms of feel, what else is there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife