Author Topic: How can this happen. When thugs are issued badges  (Read 17840 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: How can this happen. When thugs are issued badges
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »
It's not my responsibility to make sure someone is a cop. All I have to convince a jury is that I was in fear of my life. Like the above post about the store shoot. It's the officers job to ID himself as a
cop.

drive 100 mph on the highway pulling wheelies get pulled over by a cop and shoot him good luck with that jury after the shoot. it might get a lotta plus 1's on the balkoesque sites but the jury is gonna break it off in you. don't get confused and try to equater it with the undercover who got shot after brandishing  its not even close.  this cop never pointed it and id'd himself.  it woulda been better if the first words outa his mouth were statepolice but then we don't get all the audio available  a jury might just think someone driving like that hearing a siren should expect the bell tolled for him.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
sniff
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 01:45:09 AM »
the pg county police are a free fire zone for cop bashers . i went to high school there the brutality is not exaggerated and scary as this might sound they are orders of magnitude better now than in the 60's and 70's  heck the dc cops were just as bad into the 70's

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 02:36:14 AM »
he was a good boy too

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-39916.html

its all just fun till they kill someone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews By Clarence Williams and Elissa Silverman Washington Post Staff Writers Thursday, May 31, 2007; Page B01 A police attempt to stop a speeding motorcycle touched off a gruesome series of collisions on both sides of the Capital Beltway in Prince George's County last night, killing two people and injuring 15 others, including two officers. The seven-vehicle pileup, one of the Beltway's most violent in recent memory, closed down all lanes of the inner loop in the Forestville area for nearly five hours and snarled traffic on both sides of the highway late into the night. The collisions occurred on both sides of the Capital Beltway near the Ritchie Marlboro Road exit. Two of the 15 people injured were police officers. (By Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post) "I've been in law enforcement a long time and have been on a number of tough scenes. And this is a tough scene," said Prince George's Police Chief Melvin C. High. "Your thoughts go to [the injured and dead], and their families and friends." The accident was set in motion about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's police cruiser chasing the motorcycle on the outer loop near the Ritchie Marlboro Road exit slammed into a vehicle after the motorcycle cut in front of the car, police said. The force of the impact caused the car to go airborne over the median's guardrail and into oncoming traffic on the inner loop. That caused a chain-reaction crash involving five southbound cars. The motorcycle sped off, and its driver remained at large, police said. Details about the two dead were unavailable last night. The 15 injured were taken to hospitals; one of them was said to be in critical condition. The collisions left vehicles strewn across the inner loop. One vehicle was overturned and bent like an accordion. Police said it was a sport-utility vehicle, but it was no longer identifiable. Rescuers ripped the tops off of at least two cars to free their occupants, said Cpl. Stephen Pacheco. The officers involved in the crash were traveling in two vehicles, officials said. One was pursuing the motorcycle; the other was off-duty and heading home on the inner loop. High said both officers were seriously injured, but the off-duty officer was hurt more severely. He was being treated last night at Prince George's Hospital Center. Neither officer's injuries were believed to be life-threatening, Pacheco said. Traffic on the Beltway was at a standstill for hours. The inner loop was closed near Exit 13, the ramp for Ritchie Marlboro Road. High said police captured the pursuit and ensuing crash with a video camera in a cruiser. Authorities will use the footage to try to identify the motorcycle and its driver, he said. Police also interviewed several witnesses. Pacheco said some lanes of the Beltway near the crash scene will be closed after the morning rush today as the investigation continues. The closures were expected to start about 10 a.m. The officer who pursed the motorcycle has been put on administrative leave, authorities said. Neither officer was immediately identified. The accident "illustrates the problem we have with speed and what can happen in an instant," High said. V-Dub

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »
at least this guy is man enough to be honest
http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2006/04/14/my-big-motorcycle-chase/

bold by me

It was Aug 13 1989 and a buddy & I were returning home from a day at the lake with some other friends.  Responsibility was not part of my daily agenda.  Anyway, we wer speeding about 15+ in a 40 mph zone and had a cop coming at us in oncoming traffic.  He clocked us and signaled his lights.  All of us were stopped in the middle of the road facing each other and he yelled “Pull over!!!”.  For reasons I will get to in a minute, I clicked down into first gear and bailed - leaving my buddy and the cop with that WTF? look on their faces.  Needless to say, he went after me and left my buddy on the side of the road.  My buddy took off when the coast was clear and hid behind a nearby school with his Interceptor 500 (ooh yeah).

The chase begun.  It started in Bloomfield Hills, MI in the middle of suburbia.  I grew up and lived in a neighboring city called Troy, MI and knew every subdivision road on the north side which was close. After about three miles of the straight stuff, I bailed into my first subdivision.  Keep in mind at this point I am in my neck of the woods being chased by another city’s cop.  I knew several people in this sub and was hoping to have a big enough gap AND see a buddy with the garage open .  I did manage to see a friend from school and found the dexterity to get a wave in.

Back onto the main roads, I ringed the neck of that 550 as fast as it would go.  ENTER (MORE) STUPID PART: I was on a six-lane divided boulevard coming up to an intersection with an eight-lane blvd.  At about 120mph I made the executive decision to run the red light at full tilt.  My method you ask?  I closed my eyes.  No bullshit.

When I realized that I made it through just over 120mph I tucked back in for about half a mile or so.  I looked back expecting to see nothing but a flashing light in the distance, but in fact I could read the ‘Chevy’ emblem on the hood of that Caprice.  Again, knowing where I was I ducked into another subdivision about a mile up.  This time I passed one of the buddy’s houses who I was with at the lake…and family friends…and their parents were out in the front yard!  They knew the bike too.  I ended up passing that buddy with the car full of friends I was at the lake with just after passing his parents…needless to say they were a little surprised at the company I had behind me.

That subdivision had gated walkways that connected corners of the sub together for foot (and soon to be motorcycle) traffic only.  When I threw the bike onto the walkway, I looked back and saw the cop go up on someone’s lawn with the brakes locked.  FINALLY some separation.

At that point I was only a couple of miles from my house via subdivisions and navigated home successfully.  I left my bike out to let my buddy ‘know’ I made it.

NOTE: It is amazing the stupidity you will rationalize like leaving your bike out after a two-city chase just to let your buddy know you made it. I should have put it away.

Within minutes of being home, the car full of friends pulled up and we exchanged stories.  Now my dad was home when I got there so we were all (6 of us) squirrel’d away in my bedroom.  Next thing I know, the doorbell rang!  The cops!  Nope, my buddy’s parents who just saw me blaze by them with ‘company’.  My dad answered the door, followed by me within 5 seconds.  The father (again, family friends) looked at my dad, looked at me, then said to my dad “we should go fishing some time”.  He made some small talk for about another minute then simply left…I never forgot that.  Back in the bedroom still trying to unwind after about 20 minutes, my dad comes busting into my room “Why are the cops here?”  I immediately start changing out of my riding gear and at the same time say “Dad, (I) got in a chase…tell them I’ve been here all day”.  This was not a problem for him, me knowing that he does not like ‘the man’ and that he was a former hell-raiser.  Oh yeah, my riding gear consisted of a helmet, kakhi shorts, sweatshirt, and dock-siders.  Real smart.

To make a longer story only slightly longer, the collective adrenaline of me and the officers led to a “COPS” (the TV Show) worthy brawl with me losing.  No punches or assault from either side, but more like WWF.  I have never, ever in my life had that kind of adrenaline and the not-so-sane mindset to use it.  I truly had retard strength in my corner.  The first couple of officers that grabbed me found themselves thrown to the ground several feet away…then the pile-on happened with the slow crushing kneeling on my balls.  I saw GAME OVER finally flash on the screen in front of me.  I went to the county jail overnight, blah, blah, blah.

Some interesting outcomes:

1. They caught my buddy an he ratted on me - name, address, everything.  That’s how I finally got caught.
   2. Just before Wrestlemania, they told my dad to go inside and get my license.  That was an interesting situation.  I really hoped he would return with one.  But he did not know at the time that mine was suspended.  He found out pretty quick from there.  That’s the reason I bailed - No license, insurance, tags, or endorsement.
   3. The pursuing officer had many complaints filed against him from homeowners for ‘reckless’ driving.  I later found out that my buddy’s dad, the same one that came over, organized the complaints.  I never forgot that either.
   4. The pursuing officer justified the chase by stating in the police report that I tried to run him over.  I tried to run him over in his Caprice.  While judgement at the time was not my strong suit, physics was.  I tried to run him over in his Caprice with my motorcycle.  Alright, I’ll move on.
   5. They confiscated my bike with intent to auction it off.  Little did they (or anyone besides me) know that I had not transferred the title yet.  I called my friend who I bought the bike from and he went down to the police station claiming that he ‘loaned’ it to me.  At the time, at least, they could not confiscate a ‘borrowed’ bike…similar to a lease vehicle.  Got it back.
   6. The tickets: reckless driving, failure to obey an officer’s signal (Not fleeing and alluding), driving on a suspended lisence, and no endorsement.  The ruling - $400, 4 points and one year probation through Bloomfield Hills; Troy gave me resisting arrest good for one year probation and $100. Not too bad considering.  I did have a high-priced lawyer that I made monthly installments to my dad until paid off.  Ironically he lied in court and told the judge that I was “blowing off steam from a verbal fight with my dad”…a play using the divorced parents card. 
   7. Finally, a lifelong regret of that moment where I could have taken innocent lives when I ran that major intersection with my eyes closed.  I still think about the ‘what could have been’ on that one.  The fact that innocents could have been killed or injured I truly regret.

That was almost 17 years ago…I remember it like it was yesterday. I had my fifteen minutes of fame among my buddies and paid a fortune over time (higher insurance, etc) for that incident. I’m not proud of that episode and I never claim to be infallible, but it makes for a good story around the campfire.

My buddy and I went through a ‘cooling off’ period as I was pretty pissed that he gave me up. That didn’t last long because it wasn’t him who bailed and I recognized that soon enough. We are still lifelong friends.

I have since become pretty responsible in town. Out in the mountain twisties, not exactly. But I can honestly say that I am a “you play, you pay” kind of guy now. I have a lot more responsibility than I did back then. Getting hauled off to jail has much more consequences now that I am a contributor to society and my family. That is why I NEVER fill in the details to my wife after a mountain run. ;)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
If this was a legitimate traffic stop, why was the unmarked pursuing without it's lights on? Even after it maneuvered to obstruct any possible escape, the officer still doesn't activate his lights.

Also, IIRC, two party consent applies to transmitted conversations. Again, as covered in another thread, photographing or videotaping in a public area where one is without an expectation of privacy has been established as absolutely legal.

ETA: Can we get one of our local LEO's to chime in the lights thing please and give us some insight regarding them and policy for traffic stops?

Further Edit: Watching the video ala slow-mo. The badge on the waist is facing away from the viewer (cyclist) from the moment the cop leaves the unmarked and approaches the cyclist with a drawn gun until the cop rounds the front of the motorcycle and re-holsters the gun at which point it becomes visible.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:30:48 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 05:10:05 AM »
Don't care about other incidents, stories of youth. I care about this incident. Nice thread drift.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
Also, IIRC, two party consent applies to transmitted conversations. Again, as covered in another thread, photographing or videotaping in a public area where one is without an expectation of privacy has been established as absolutely legal.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

its a law  maybe not a smart one but a law none the less like those evil laws keeping lil jonny from exercising his constitutional right to drive over a 100 and pop wheelies on a highway

can we see any lights on the undercover car from the angle of the vid?  and as i pointed out earlier since the kinda heroes of the revolution that ride 100 and pop wheelies on the highway have a disturbing proclivity towards running when they see lights, its not unusual for them to do what they did.  they get more stops successfully that way. not everyone sees that as bad or another example of the jackbooted thugs trampling a sovereign citizens god given constitutional right to drive however he wants on the highway. whats junior whining about t he cop got out with a gun? wasn't pointed at him cop never roughed him up?  whats his real beef again?  besides he got told "no jonny" in a mean voice that is.  maybe that cops mommy never read doctor spock like jonnys mommy  isn't all enlightened and freedom loving

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 09:43:28 AM »
First off, I'll say that reckless driving on a public road is idiocy, whether it's on a motorcycle or in a car, and it certainly merits a ticket. If the guy actually was doing wheelies and then fleeing a MARKED unit, I'd say he ought to be toast, legally, with a fine and lots of license points.

BUT in reference to the original post . . .

1. OP asserts the officer was "visually estimating" the motorcycle's speed. Questionable basis for a stop.
2. Did officer's car have a dashcam? If so, is there dashcam video of motorcyclist doing wheelies?
3. There HAVE been cases locally of fake police in unmarked cars stopping & robbing people - I understand anyone who doesn't stop for an UNMARKED car.
4. No lights activated even on UNMARKED car, when the officer claims he's pursuing? This is so wrong it's not even funny.
5. Officer had NO business drawing a gun - his actions make him look like a carjacker, NOT an LEO. Assault or reckless endangerment charges are merited.
6. Is an UNSIGNED warrant even valid? Without a SIGNED warrant, forced entry by ANYONE would constitute a HOME INVASION, and justify a . . . vigorous . . . response.
7. Using trumped-up "wiretapping" charges for search & seizure ought to result in criminal prosecution and jail time for EVERY officer involved.

We don't know everything here, maybe the motorcyclist is a royal jackass . . . but the cops appear to have engaged in their own criminal - again, that's criminal - actions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
what crime do you imagine the cops committed?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
Assault, reckless endangerment, failure to identify as an officer, false testimony (false wiretapping allegation), home invasion with invalid (unsigned) warrant, theft, unlawful detention . . . that enough for a start?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:03 AM »
Assault, reckless endangerment, failure to identify as an officer, false testimony (false wiretapping allegation), home invasion with invalid (unsigned) warrant, theft, unlawful detention . . . that enough for a start?

who was assaulted? how?

lets see he id's himself verbally and on a screen that makes him 6 inches high i saw the badge on his belt.  wonder how much easier it was to see when it was full size.
and its been a while since i got popped in md but if i was doing what he was and saw that car and that guy i'd say shucks i'm had and thats a cop.  it happens when you fight for freedom like that. kid might have some credibility with me if not for the editing tricks with the video

what false testimony? is it your contention md isn't a two party state? see the link above

i've not seen that warrant have you?  you might be right neither of us have a way to know
  who do you feel was unlawfully detained his mom and dad?  that would depend on how the warrant thing plays out

did you have anything better than that?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »

who was assaulted? how?

lets see he id's himself verbally and on a screen that makes him 6 inches high i saw the badge on his belt.  wonder how much easier it was to see when it was full size.
and its been a while since i got popped in md but if i was doing what he was and saw that car and that guy i'd say shucks i'm had and thats a cop.  it happens when you fight for freedom like that. kid might have some credibility with me if not for the editing tricks with the video

what false testimony? is it your contention md isn't a two party state? see the link above

i've not seen that warrant have you?  you might be right neither of us have a way to know
  who do you feel was unlawfully detained his mom and dad?  that would depend on how the warrant thing plays out

did you have anything better than that?

Maryland's wiretapping statute also specifically states that the two party consent rule doesn't apply in situations where either party has no realistic expectations of privacy.  That would include an officer on a public highway.  This was noted by the judge who dropped the charges against the guy.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »
Wiretapping charges sound bogus. If the warrant was actually unsigned that's a serious, serious matter. Haven't seen the evidence on that one yet.

As for the rest, if there's one thing I've learned on APS it's that arguing over cops doing traffic/drug stops is angels on the head of a pin stuff. Ranks right up there with debating religion and abortion in terms of unproductivity.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »
Maryland's wiretapping statute also specifically states that the two party consent rule doesn't apply in situations where either party has no realistic expectations of privacy.

§ 10-402.

(a)      Except as otherwise specifically provided in this subtitle it is unlawful for any person to:

(1)      Wilfully intercept, endeavor to intercept, or procure any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication;

(2)      Wilfully disclose, or endeavor to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle; or

(3)      Wilfully use, or endeavor to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subtitle.

(b)      Any person who violates subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a felony and is subject to imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

(c)      (1)      (i)      It is lawful under this subtitle for an operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of a provider of wire or electronic communication service, whose facilities are used in the transmission of a wire or electronic communication to intercept, disclose, or use that communication in the normal course of his employment while engaged in any activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his service or to the protection of the rights or property of the provider of that service, except that a provider of wire communications service to the public may not utilize service observing or random monitoring except for mechanical or service quality control checks.

(ii)      1.      It is lawful under this subtitle for a provider of wire or electronic communication service, its officers, employees, and agents, landlords, custodians or other persons to provide information, facilities, or technical assistance to persons authorized by federal or State law to intercept wire, oral, or electronic communications or to conduct electronic surveillance, if the provider, its officers, employees, or agents, landlord, custodian, or other specified person has been provided with a court order signed by the authorizing judge directing the provision of information, facilities, or technical assistance.

2.      The order shall set forth the period of time during which the provision of the information, facilities, or technical assistance is authorized and specify the information, facilities, or technical assistance required. A provider of wire or electronic communication service, its officers, employees, or agents, or landlord, custodian, or other specified person may not disclose the existence of any interception or surveillance or the device used to accomplish the interception or surveillance with respect to which the person has been furnished an order under this subparagraph, except as may otherwise be required by legal process and then only after prior notification to the judge who granted the order, if appropriate, or the State's Attorney of the county where the device was used. Any such disclosure shall render the person liable for compensatory damages. No cause of action shall lie in any court against any provider of wire or electronic communication service, its officers, employees, or agents, landlord, custodian, or other specified person for providing information, facilities, or assistance in accordance with the terms of a court order under this subtitle.

(2)      (i)      This paragraph applies to an interception in which:

1.      The investigative or law enforcement officer or other person is a party to the communication; or

2.      One of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to the interception.

(ii)      It is lawful under this subtitle for an investigative or law enforcement officer acting in a criminal investigation or any other person acting at the prior direction and under the supervision of an investigative or law enforcement officer to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication in order to provide evidence:

1.      Of the commission of:

A.      Murder;

B.      Kidnapping;

C.      Rape;

D.      A sexual offense in the first or second degree;

E.      Child abuse;

F.      Child pornography under § 11-207, § 11-208, or § 11-208.1 of the Criminal Law Article;

G.      Gambling;

H.      Robbery under § 3-402 or § 3-403 of the Criminal Law Article;

I.      A felony under Title 6, Subtitle 1 of the Criminal Law Article;

J.      Bribery;

K.      Extortion;

L.      Dealing in a controlled dangerous substance, including a violation of § 5-617 or § 5-619 of the Criminal Law Article;

M.      A fraudulent insurance act, as defined in Title 27, Subtitle 4 of the Insurance Article;

N.      An offense relating to destructive devices under § 4-503 of the Criminal Law Article;

O.      Sexual solicitation of a minor under § 3-324 of the Criminal Law Article;

P.      An offense relating to obstructing justice under § 9-302, § 9-303, or § 9-305 of the Criminal Law Article; or

Q.      A conspiracy or solicitation to commit an offense listed in items A through P of this item; or

2.      If:

A.      A person has created a barricade situation; and

B.      Probable cause exists for the investigative or law enforcement officer to believe a hostage or hostages may be involved.

(3)      It is lawful under this subtitle for a person to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where the person is a party to the communication and where all of the parties to the communication have given prior consent to the interception unless the communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of this State.

(4)      (i)      It is lawful under this subtitle for a law enforcement officer in the course of the officer's regular duty to intercept an oral communication if:

1.      The law enforcement officer initially lawfully detained a vehicle during a criminal investigation or for a traffic violation;

2.      The law enforcement officer is a party to the oral communication;

3.      The law enforcement officer has been identified as a law enforcement officer to the other parties to the oral communication prior to any interception;

4.      The law enforcement officer informs all other parties to the communication of the interception at the beginning of the communication; and

5.      The oral interception is being made as part of a video tape recording.

(ii)      If all of the requirements of subparagraph (i) of this paragraph are met, an interception is lawful even if a person becomes a party to the communication following:

1.      The identification required under subparagraph (i)3 of this paragraph; or

2.      The informing of the parties required under subparagraph (i)4 of this paragraph.

(5)      It is lawful under this subtitle for an officer, employee, or agent of a governmental emergency communications center to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where the officer, agent, or employee is a party to a conversation concerning an emergency.

(6)      (i)      It is lawful under this subtitle for law enforcement personnel to utilize body wires to intercept oral communications in the course of a criminal investigation if there is reasonable cause to believe that a law enforcement officer's safety may be in jeopardy.

(ii)      Communications intercepted under this paragraph may not be recorded, and may not be used against the defendant in a criminal proceeding.

(7)      It is lawful under this subtitle for a person:

(i)      To intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that the electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;

(ii)      To intercept any radio communication that is transmitted:

1.      By any station for the use of the general public, or that relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress;

2.      By any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public;

3.      By a station operating on an authorized frequency within the bands allocated to the amateur, citizens band, or general mobile radio services; or

4.      By any marine or aeronautical communications system;

(iii)      To intercept any wire or electronic communication the transmission of which is causing harmful interference to any lawfully operating station or consumer electronic equipment, to the extent necessary to identify the source of the interference; or

(iv)      For other users of the same frequency to intercept any radio communication made through a system that utilizes frequencies monitored by individuals engaged in the provision or the use of the system, if the communication is not scrambled or encrypted.

(8)      It is lawful under this subtitle:

(i)      To use a pen register or trap and trace device as defined under § 10-4B-01 of this title; or

(ii)      For a provider of electronic communication service to record the fact that a wire or electronic communication was initiated or completed in order to protect the provider, another provider furnishing service toward the completion of the wire or electronic communication, or a user of that service, from fraudulent, unlawful, or abusive use of the service.

(9)      It is lawful under this subtitle for a person to intercept a wire or electronic communication in the course of a law enforcement investigation of possible telephone solicitation theft if:

(i)      The person is an investigative or law enforcement officer or is acting under the direction of an investigative or law enforcement officer; and

(ii)      The person is a party to the communication and participates in the communication through the use of a telephone instrument.

(10)      It is lawful under this subtitle for a person to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication in the course of a law enforcement investigation in order to provide evidence of the commission of vehicle theft if:

(i)      The person is an investigative or law enforcement officer or is acting under the direction of an investigative or law enforcement officer; and

(ii)      The device through which the interception is made has been placed within a vehicle by or at the direction of law enforcement personnel under circumstances in which it is thought that vehicle theft may occur.

(d)      (1)      Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person or entity providing an electronic communication service to the public may not intentionally divulge the contents of any communication (other than one to the person or entity providing the service, or an agent of the person or entity) while in transmission on that service to any person or entity other than an addressee or intended recipient of the communication or an agent of the addressee or intended recipient.

(2)      A person or entity providing electronic communication service to the public may divulge the contents of a communication:

(i)      As otherwise authorized by federal or State law;

(ii)      To a person employed or authorized, or whose facilities are used, to forward the communication to its destination; or

(iii)      That were inadvertently obtained by the service provider and that appear to pertain to the commission of a crime, if the divulgence is made to a law enforcement agency.

(e)      (1)      Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection or in subsection (f) of this section, a person who violates subsection (d) of this section is subject to a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or both.

(2)      If an offense is a first offense under paragraph (1) of this subsection and is not for a tortious or illegal purpose or for purposes of direct or indirect commercial advantage or private commercial gain, and the wire or electronic communication with respect to which the offense occurred is a radio communication that is not scrambled or encrypted, and:

(i)      The communication is not the radio portion of a cellular telephone communication, a public land mobile radio service communication, or a paging service communication, the offender is subject to a fine of not more than $1,000 or imprisonment for not more than 1 year, or both; or

(ii)      The communication is the radio portion of a cellular telephone communication, a public land mobile radio service communication, or a paging service communication, the offender is subject to a fine of not more than $500.

(3)      Unless the conduct is for the purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage or private financial gain, conduct which would otherwise be an offense under this subsection is not an offense under this subsection if the conduct consists of or relates to the interception of a satellite transmission that is not encrypted or scrambled and that is transmitted:

(i)      To a broadcasting station for purposes of retransmission to the general public; or

(ii)      As an audio subcarrier intended for redistribution to facilities open to the public, but not including data transmissions or telephone calls.

(f)      (1)      A person who engages in conduct in violation of this subtitle is subject to suit by the federal government or by the State in a court of competent jurisdiction, if the communication is:

(i)      A private satellite video communication that is not scrambled or encrypted and the conduct in violation of this subtitle is the private viewing of that communication, and is not for a tortious or illegal purpose, or for purposes of direct or indirect commercial advantage, or private commercial gain; or

(ii)      A radio communication that is transmitted on frequencies allocated under Subpart D of Part 74 of the Rules of the Federal Communications Commission that is not scrambled or encrypted and the conduct in violation of this subtitle is not for a tortious or illegal purpose or for purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage or private commercial gain.

(2)      (i)      The State is entitled to appropriate injunctive relief in an action under this subsection if the violation is the person's first offense under subsection (e)(1) of this section and the person has not been found liable in a prior civil action under § 10-410 of this subtitle.

(ii)      In an action under this subsection, if the violation is a second or subsequent offense under subsection (e)(1) of this section or if the person has been found liable in a prior civil action under § 10-410 of this subtitle, the person is subject to a mandatory civil fine of not less than $500.

(3)      The court may use any means within its authority to enforce an injunction issued under paragraph (2)(i) of this subsection, and shall impose a civil fine of not less than $500 for each violation of an injunction issued under paragraph (2)(i) of this subsection.

theres the statute  where is that reasonable expectation of privacy mentioned?

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
its a law  maybe not a smart one but a law none the less like those evil laws keeping lil jonny from exercising his constitutional right to drive over a 100 and pop wheelies on a highway

Read what you cite, that page refers to two party consent states in regards to telephone calls, not in person recordings out in public.

“The judge who released me looked at the paperwork and said she didn’t see where I violated the wiretapping law.”

Do you know the law better than a judge? The judge is of the opinion that he didn't violate the wire tapping law, so what makes you think he did?

I don't know the legal language for it but how about using their authority as police officers for personal retaliation.
Deprivation of rights under color of authority, something along those lines.  Here just in case you missed it in the article.

Ten days later, Uhler discovered that Graber posted the video online. Two videos. A longer one without audio and a shorter one with audio.

That prompted Uhler to issue an arrest warrant against Graber, citing that “Graber did not inform Tfc. Uhler that he was recording him by video or audio, thus violating criminal law 10-402(b).”

He also tacked on the charges of “reckless driving” and “negligent driving” to the arrest warrant.

And then six cops raided his parent’s home where Graber is living early one morning.

When he realized that Uhler posted video of him online that made him look like a thug he decided he needed to show him who was really in control, or maybe he wanted to damage Uhler's credibility by having him arrested.

How can you tack on a reckless driving and negligent driving charges 10 days after you pull someone over? Can you say throwing sh!t at the wall to see what will stick? If Uhler's driving was that bad, the cop would have gave him those tickets right there on the spot not 10 days after the fact.

How do you explain the 10 day gap between the incident and the reckless driving charge C&D?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »
<snip>

Sorry, I had my facts slightly wrong.

Rather, the courts of Maryland have interpreted the law to dis-include cases where the parties involved have an unreasonable expectation of privacy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maryland.html

State courts have interpreted the laws to protect communications only when the parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and thus, where a person in a private apartment was speaking so loudly that residents of an adjoining apartment could hear without any sound enhancing device, recording without the speaker’s consent did not violate the wiretapping law. Malpas v. Maryland, 695 A.2d 588 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 1997); see also Benford v. American Broadcasting Co., 649 F. Supp. 9 (D. Md. 1986) (salesman’s presentation in stranger’s home not assumed to carry expectation of privacy).

An officer operating in a public area has no reasonable expectation of privacy.  In addition, in cases where there is a unhidden video camera in a public place, such as the one mounted on Graber's helmet, consent is implied.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:05:41 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
Personally, I am more concerned about the unsigned search warrant and added charges after the video was posted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
CSD:

The judge who ordered cycle-boy's release does not agree with you that public photography, video, and audio recording are illegal in the state of MD.  There is no expectation of privacy in public places, or we'd see all LEO dash-cams, security cams, etc. outlawed in MD.

The first two times I watched the video(s), I did not see the badge and second time it was full-screen (22" LCD) HD.  Also, the cop does not ID himself verbally until AFTER he put hands on motorcycle-boy & his bike.  On top of the cut-off with the auto, this would be a good way to get killed here in Texas. 

<watches short video again in glorious 22" LCD HD> 

The first short glimpse of the badge is 13 seconds into the short video, after the officer laid hands on cycle-boy.  If you see it before then, you must have X-ray vision.  Good thing he's in MD, that sort of sloppy, sloppy work would get his *expletive deleted*ss shot sooner or later here in TX.

Yeah, cutting someone off with a deadly weapon (unmarked police auto), not announcing one is LEO, not displaying ID, drawing down on someone, and then laying hands on them & theirs is a good way to get shot down here.

Quote from: csd
if your own business is driving triple digits and popping wheelies in traffic you might figure getting popped as a cost of doing business.

<watches long video again in glorious 22" LCD HD> 

I saw the unmarked car in the longer video, when he overtook & passed it.  I don't recall seeing any wheelies.  Care to tell where (mm:ss) you see them?  Perhaps one reason they conducted the raid is that the video evidence does not back up the officer's claims of wheelies?

Also, the speedo is blurry/glared out at times, but can be seen.  Cycle-boy is usually dong high-70s to 80MPH and gets up over 100MPH passing the RV, which blocks LOS to autos to the left & behind for a bit.  He looks back once on the off-ramp and once before he gets on the on-ramp and looks to the side on lane-changes.  What I didn't see is him looking back over his shoulder a bunch as if to judge the location of pursuers.

Here in DFW, I can't get a cop to nab me for going 80MPH on the freeway.  I stopped using my radar/laser detector years ago since the enforced speed limit is above what I would comfortably dive.  MD may be different. 

I would have no problem with MD LEOs pulling dude over for speeding if they were driving a marked car or an unmarked car with lights & such going.  They way the officer in the video did it is not only thuggish, but sand-poundingly stupid. 

Drawing down and placing hands on someone with no visible LEO ID and without IDing ones self verbally as LEO?  This is not smart at all.  Matter of fact, I recall an IDPA scenario similar to that (no declaration of ID by the cardboard targets, of course, which were up close & personal). 

CSD, the main problem I see with this incident is the (anonymous judge) search warrant, using false pretenses (by the LEOs) to get it, and the intimidation of those who dare to record LEO action.  It is intimidation, plain & simple.  The LEOs cared not a whit about the video until it came out and showed them to be idjits. 

I don't have a problem with them stopping a guy who went 100MPH+, though the method used showed a load of *expletive deleted*it for brains and a death wish, were he to move to a free-er state.

Also, it has been stated before that your experiences with LEOs are not typical.  I don't expect to be cut off, drawn down on, and manhandled by folks.  LEO or otherwise.  Not IDing himself as a LEO until after he laid hands on me & mine would result in very bad things occurring.  I don't ride a MC, but a pistol or revolver is always at hand while I drive my autos...if I didn't just squash the potential car-jacker like a bug between my front bumper and his own auto.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
not in person recordings out in public.
  [/b

could you show me that?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
Regolith has posted the applicable case law.

And really, by your definition any video taken off one's own property that in any way captures another person who has not explicitly given consent would be a felony. That's pretty obviously not the case.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
How do you explain the 10 day gap between the incident and the reckless driving charge C&D?

in maryland its not that uncommon.  they started doing it right after that other hero hit the bicyclist on wisconsin ave drove 3/4 mile with her body protruding from the windshield as she bled out then dumped her to die in the boyscouts of america parking lot. he went home they snagged him wrote him up for a series of charges.  he beat the vehicular homicide charge by paying the first ticket and claiming double jeopardy on the more serious charge. was it payback in this case? probably but its not illegal. junior wants to play and try to game the system he should not whine when the game gets played.

he tried to get cute posting the edited video if i was his dad he would be living elsewhere after this stunt. bet that is gonna be a real career enhancer  

Yeah, cutting someone off with a deadly weapon (unmarked police auto), not announcing one is LEO, not displaying ID, drawing down on someone, and then laying hands on them & theirs is a good way to get shot down here.
'
'biker boy was stopped when the cop pulled up  what is the definition of cutting off in texas?  and with your 22 inches of screen how does that scale to a 5 something guy?

Drawing down and placing hands on someone with no visible LEO ID and without IDing ones self verbally as LEO?  define drawing down is that removing the gun from the holster? is that texas rules?
 and at what point did he lay hands on johnny? before or after he id'd himself and reholstered? be hard toay hands with the gun in one hand
and junior owned up to the wheelies in one account i saw one short one in the vid but it is hard to see well with a helmet cam huh.

the only part that troubles me is the unsigned warrant and so far the only source touting that has credibility issues with me

• friends
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
i've got traffic charges up to 21 days after the offense and other charges up to 90  waiting for the lab results. in todays world the prosecution and cops hold lil conferences and weigh the evidence and their chances. its quite the lil dance. junior got a speeding ticket  he tried to get cute in a way designed to negatively impact someone elses career/family.  they broke it off in lil johnny. oh well sucks to be him. the dishonesty implicit in his edit makes him a waste of air to me. he makes a choice to behave badly gets smacked on his pee pee and trys to strike back. i hope he wasn't gonna be a career military guy.  or at least wasn't looking for rank or clearances

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
md is a two party consent state  were all these kids asleep or in 3rd grade when linda tripp taped monica?

as to the rest?
WOLVERINES!!!

Fearnow v. C & P Telephone Co., 104 Md. App. 1, 33, 655 A.2d 1 (1995), aff’d, 342 Md. 363, 676 A.2d 65 (1996)

Must have a reasonable expectation of privacy for wiretapping law to apply.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
Thin. 
Blue. 
Line. Is falling down. No way you can justify this idiots actions, unless you'd do the same and approve of thuggish behavior, ignoring basic police procedure and wiping your ass with the civil rights
of the suspect. Interesting

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.