Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Costco "Pre-Tenderized" Steaks

<< < (3/4) > >>

K Frame:
And the whole time Steve was just watching and laughing, Cowboy?  :rofl:

charby:

--- Quote from: Brad Johnson on December 19, 2022, 10:58:47 AM ---Technically, all beef is grass fed, but I digress...

Asking if a Prime cut is grass fed is generally a waste of time. Truly grass fed beef (or, more accurately, "grass finished") is normally too lean to garner even a Choice label, much less Prime. Cuts trumpeting "grass fed" but also carrying a USDA grade are usually cattle given just enough pasture time to meet some arbitrary minimal technical definition of pasture foraging, but still mainly finished on traditional feedlot rations.

Also keep in mind "Grass Fed" is not a certified label. Like "natural" labeling, which has morphed into pretty much whatever the producer wants it to be, "grass fed" has become more marketing term than Truth in Advertising.

Brad

--- End quote ---

When I was still able to eat beef, a midwest cow lot finished prime steak tasted so much better than a finished prime steak from Texas or any western state. Even Iowa Holstein steers finished on hay and corn tasted better than the western stuff.

cordex:

--- Quote from: charby on December 20, 2022, 07:05:15 PM ---When I was still able to eat beef, a midwest cow lot finished prime steak tasted so much better than a finished prime steak from Texas or any western state. Even Iowa Holstein steers finished on hay and corn tasted better than the western stuff.

--- End quote ---
Other than when I have purchased beef directly from the farmer I don’t know thst I have ever paid serious attention to the region my beef came from, but I know there is a ton of variation in meat quality even on a given farm. I am certain that I am not sophisticated enough to call out regional taste differences.

MillCreek:
Yesterday, I bought a four pack of Prime ribeye steaks from Costco.  I just finished cryovaccing them individually and putting them into the deep freeze.  The label on the package did say blade tenderized, but darn if I could not see anything even upon very close inspection with a magnifying glass.  The blades must be very fine. 

K Frame:
Get one of these, buy the cheapest steaks you can find, and tenderize them yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenderizer-Tenderness-Accesories-Tenderizers-Tenderizing/dp/B01G4I9HFK/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=34Y0CA7CPZBRX&keywords=meat+tenderizer&qid=1675532084&sprefix=meat+tenderizer%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFYVFdZNDQ2MlhSS0YmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMjA3NTkyMzNDSEVGMUM3NVRUJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MDc3OTFEUE5XN1VLWEtCVTUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version