Author Topic: Any Guesses on the 19 Executive Actions? What we should be most worried about?  (Read 18337 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Valid concerns, but statism?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
With that particular one, I would be most worried that the plans would be full of PC and/or just plain ineffective strategies.  And since implemeting "guidelines" from the government is often tied to funding, everyone could be using substandard plans.  Moreover, I would have OPSEC cocerns, as a prescribed standardized plan/training for all public schools and first reponders could potentially make it easier for the really bad guys to stage an attack.  

From a Belslan style super massacre, yes, I agree.

However, from the disgruntled/crazy spree shooter POV, just the deterrent effect that all the kids will be locked up, and more "resource officers" etc. might actually work to a degree.

However, simply eliminating GFSZ's and allowing anyone with a valid CCW, (and making it impossible for the schools to prohibit it for employees or parents by policy) would probably work better, witness how many theaters the Aurora shooter passed up to find the posted one.
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers."
Definitely legal, as stated. Writing a newsletter, or handout.

I'd be interested to see where this is going.  Are they going to try to "encourage" 4473 forms for private sales, or is this just a piece of the "close the gunshow loophole" puzzle.  

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

T.O.M.

• friend
With that particular one, I would be most worried that the plans would be full of PC and/or just plain ineffective strategies.  And since implemeting "guidelines" from the government is often tied to funding, everyone could be using substandard plans.  Moreover, I would have OPSEC cocerns, as a prescribed standardized plan/training for all public schools and first reponders could potentially make it easier for the really bad guys to stage an attack.  
Really good point on OPSEC.  Don't want the bad guys to know the response and plan for it...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
So basically, a lot of fluff with a couple things that can be fought in the normal political way of things?

Phew.

or arguably doesn't need to be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
I know we see it as fluff piece with no real substance...anyone seeing a similar response from the media?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

red headed stranger

• friend
Valid concerns, but statism?

I believe it is probably a relatively benign statism.  However, if the guidelines end up being something that is specifically really bad, it would be less benign.  

From a Belslan style super massacre, yes, I agree.

However, from the disgruntled/crazy spree shooter POV, just the deterrent effect that all the kids will be locked up, and more "resource officers" etc. might actually work to a degree.

However, simply eliminating GFSZ's and allowing anyone with a valid CCW, (and making it impossible for the schools to prohibit it for employees or parents by policy) would probably work better, witness how many theaters the Aurora shooter passed up to find the posted one.

Agreed. I think we will be seing some movement at the state level to deal with the GFSZ issue.  Since states have some leeway in how they deal with the the GFSZ, I won't be surprised if we see a couple states loosen their restrictions.  

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
or arguably doesn't need to be.

I would say that the numorous reference to health care and phsyc evaluation, and any legeslation stemming from them, need to be watched closely.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
I would say that the numorous reference to health care and phsyc evaluation, and any legeslation stemming from them, need to be watched closely.

Absolutely. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Blakenzy

• friend
I would be very careful about what information I volunteered in a health care setting from now on. There is a lot of nonspecific wording relating to healthcare services in there that I cannot quite make out the meaning of... it can't be good for privacy or freedom.

I am surprised that there was no mention of "assault weapons" or magazines in the text, because in the speech he made quite a show of those topics. Maybe I should re-read the list...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

You know, I was going to try to change the quotes from Pulp Fiction about "You sending the wolf?" to "You sending Plugs?"... but there is absolutely no way to clean up the rest of that quote.

Soooo.... yeah, "You sending Plugs!?"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Gotta say, a few of the points, I wonder why he needs to order them now, and why they haven't already been done...

I'm not saying that I agree with his approach, but isn't Obama admitting that, given his long term stated view on guns, he has basically not been doing his job for the past four years  ???

Forget the guns.  Let's blame His Highness for the Massacre of the Children  >:D   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I think this proves him a Paper Tiger at least with EOs. Battle aint over yet but he didnt do nearly as much damage as we expected
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
. . .  14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence." Legal, but stupid.
Issuing a memorandum is probably legal, but the CDC acting on it may not be. IIRC, the CDC's anti-gun "study" was forbidden and explicitly defunded by Congress some years ago; if that's the case (my memory may be incomplete as to details) then they'd be in violation of the law if they put any taxpayer-funded resources to work on this.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

Especially when they're traced back to Fast & Furious.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I think this proves him a Paper Tiger at least with EOs. Battle aint over yet but he didnt do nearly as much damage as we expected

I think a few of the EOs (especially guns as health issues) could cause trouble down the road depending how they are used or abused, but mostly I think these are either innocuous or not much different than what gun owners have been saying for years - uphold the laws already on the books.

I'm not sure if the average antis see these as "paper tigers" or, not knowing much about gun laws, think this is a huge win for them. I am hoping for the latter and plan on, when getting schooled by my liberal coworkers and acquaintances,  saying, "Yup, dammit - you guys really stuck it to us with these. Damn severe, hope you're happy".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

red headed stranger

• friend

I'm not sure if the average antis see these as "paper tigers" or, not knowing much about gun laws, think this is a huge win for them. I am hoping for the latter and plan on, when getting schooled by my liberal coworkers and acquaintances,  saying, "Yup, dammit - you guys really stuck it to us with these. Damn severe, hope you're happy".

I was thinking similarly.  Out there on the internet (which I know should be taken with more than a grain of salt) lots of of the antis are whooping it up and saying things like "ha ha! we've got the NRA on the ropes. Look at thier new ad! It's obvious that they are scared and desperate!"   ;/

A lot of the Obama faithful think this was a huge win.  I'm glad to let them think that.  I will keep pressure on my reps in any way that I can, and hope that the NRA and similar organizations are working quietly behind the scenes to stymie any further legislation.  At this juncture, I don't really care about a PR win, a legislative one will suffice for now. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I was thinking similarly.  Out there on the internet (which I know should be taken with more than a grain of salt) lots of of the antis are whooping it up and saying things like "ha ha! we've got the NRA on the ropes. Look at thier new ad! It's obvious that they are scared and desperate!"   rolleyes

How abouts we let them think that. Oh the noes! EOs that are laws we already comply with! Teh horror!

Now mind you I'm not a favor of restrictions on guns at all, but hey, at least many of these these are laws we already have vs. what we thought was coming from him.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Not what I was expecting. I'm definitely in the "gun control as misdirection" camp now. Obama could've followed in the footsteps of Bush the First and really screwed us by Eo'ing import restrictions. The fact he didn't makes me think he's all hat no cattle on this and just putting on a show.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
The fact he didn't makes me think he's all hat no cattle on this and just putting on a show.

I can appreciate that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
What an idiot.  :facepalm:

Well, if it makes the antis think they won something, screw it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
I expected much worse.  Glad he failed to meet my expectations.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
not much different than what gun owners have been saying for years - uphold the laws already on the books.

Speak for yourself, Kemo Sabe  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
Not what I was expecting. I'm definitely in the "gun control as misdirection" camp now. Obama could've followed in the footsteps of Bush the First and really screwed us by Eo'ing import restrictions. The fact he didn't makes me think he's all hat no cattle on this and just putting on a show.

I wonder if he backed off on import restrictions because doing so might have started a trade war.   ???