Author Topic: E15 fuel released, but no one should use it  (Read 13095 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: E15 fuel released, but no one should use it
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
For my example my D model 182 has fuel bladders that it would eat like candy...not to mention the rest of the fuel delivery system, carb and so forth.

True.  Similar problems for boats.  I know more then a few guys with brand new fuel tanks because of it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
For low volume on a trimmer or chainsaw, it might be worth it to remove the ethanol through phase separation. Add about 5% water to the gas, shake the can, let it sit overnight, and pour off the gas leaving the water/ethanol mix at the bottom.
That is a awesome idea.
I have a small fleet of minibikes and gokarts and I'm getting sick of draining the tank and cleaning the carb after one sits for a couple months.
A few years ago I would regularly let gas sit for 6+ months and I didn't have all the problems I constantly have now.
Now it seems everywhere sells blended gas and if I crack open a tank thats been sitting for a while it's like it's filled with nasty water and not gas.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Just tanked up last night in Monroe, WI.  E-85 was $2.85/gallon.  Monroe has the big distillery and prices are cheapest at the source.

Love my flex-fuel truck, and I've been thinking about getting a free fuel distiller's license from the Gubmint.

I got a couple 50lb bags of corn from my neighbor, who has a corn stove. 

That's right, a stove that burns corn to keep the house warm.  Not corn cobs, not corn husks, but plain corn kernels.  It burns clean with minimal ash, and is a favorite around these parts. 

One bag's going to my dad to feed the squirrels at his wildlife menagerie, the other's getting converted once my license gets signed off.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »
We filled the wife's Mustang with E10 for $2.85 this morning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
We filled the wife's Mustang with E10 for $2.85 this morning.

E10 (our only choice) in Northern VA is $3.19-$3.3x.

Chris

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
For low volume on a trimmer or chainsaw, it might be worth it to remove the ethanol through phase separation. Add about 5% water to the gas, shake the can, let it sit overnight, and pour off the gas leaving the water/ethanol mix at the bottom.

That 5% by weight or by volume?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:12 AM »
It's getting pretty bad when adding water to your gas actually improves it  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
That is a awesome idea.
I have a small fleet of minibikes and gokarts and I'm getting sick of draining the tank and cleaning the carb after one sits for a couple months.
A few years ago I would regularly let gas sit for 6+ months and I didn't have all the problems I constantly have now.
Now it seems everywhere sells blended gas and if I crack open a tank thats been sitting for a while it's like it's filled with nasty water and not gas.

Using phase seperation does work to remove EtOH but doing so will reduce the octane rating.  If you started with 87 you'll wind up with about 84.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
. . . I've been thinking about getting a free fuel distiller's license from the Gubmint.
How do they ensure you're distilling fuel and not making moonshine?  ???

I've been watching the show Moonshiners on the Discovery Channel (Yeah, yeah, I KNOW they're actors on camera and aren't really making moonshine and thumbing their noses at the alcohol people and the IRS) but it seems to me a "free" distiller's license for fuel would have to come with a whole bundle of strings attached.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
 [tinfoil]
With all the crap they've foist on us from the cash for clunkers scam that removed 10s of thousands of serviceable used vehicles from not only the vehicle market but also the used parts market. To forcing a fuel onto the market that is known to be damaging to older vehicles is enough to make a fellow wonder what the true agenda is all about?
/ [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
With all the crap they've foist on us from the cash for clunkers scam that removed 10s of thousands of serviceable used vehicles from not only the vehicle market but also the used parts market. To forcing a fuel onto the market that is known to be damaging to older vehicles is enough to make a fellow wonder what the true agenda is all about?

Well they do have to boost sales of GM in order to make the bailout look good.

Off topic a bit.
When .gov gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have a friend who posts here occasionally, but mostly lurks, who put together a fuel injection system for his '73 Olds drag racing car and tuned it so he could run E85- because its much cheaper to run than the specialty racing fuel that the car normally has to be run on since the E85 has roughly the same octane rating.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
Same reason I've considered converting my Shovelhead Harley FXR to E85. 

105 octane and high compression are a match made in heaven.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »

I use too much gasoline per month to make phase separation viable.  Instead, I go to a station about 25 miles from here that still sells straight gasoline.  He's said he'll continue selling straight gas until the .gov forces him to start mixing.

My brother (a diesel mechanic) suggested using Fuel Medic ( http://fuelmedics.com/ ), the local Husqvarna repair shop suggested Star Tron ( http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ ).  No personal experience with either one.

ETA:  Heard/read somewhere (old-timers kickin' in - probably Amer. Motorcyclist Mag.) the other day that a Calif. CARB official said E15 isn't likely in CA. for 5 years or so.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:02:43 AM by Cliffh »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »

Wait wait wait.

So you're telling me that when I buy gas, I can preform a simple solubility separation, and end up with both gasoline that is better for my car, and water that contains ethanol alcohol?

So... uhh... Is there anything that denatures the alcohol which is also water soluble.?...  :lol:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 12:52:07 AM »
Yes.  The ethanol distilleries denature their E100 prior to it getting mixed with gasoline to make E10/E15/E85.

I learned that while getting a tour of the distillery in Monroe, WI.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 01:26:08 AM »
Wait wait wait.

So you're telling me that when I buy gas, I can preform a simple solubility separation, and end up with both gasoline that is better for my car, and water that contains ethanol alcohol?

So... uhh... Is there anything that denatures the alcohol which is also water soluble.?...  :lol:

Provided your car likes 84-ish octane.

You might need to add an octane booster.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
There's a station a few miles from here that sells no-ethanol gas.  I don't bother for my car, but I do fill up the gas can for the mower there.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
Website that is like gas buddy, but for non-ethanol gas.

http://pure-gas.org/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Website that is like gas buddy, but for non-ethanol gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

No NoVA pure-gas stations at all. I haz a sad.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
Yup, but not unexpected.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
Closest one to me is 37 miles away in Joliet, IL
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
No NoVA pure-gas stations at all. I haz a sad.

bristol is close
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
I use too much gasoline per month to make phase separation viable.  Instead, I go to a station about 25 miles from here that still sells straight gasoline.  He's said he'll continue selling straight gas until the .gov forces him to start mixing.

Well, uh, he doesn't have much of a choice on the mixing part given it's done at the refinery, not on a retail-pump basis.  It's blended at the refinery based on regulatory and seasonal requirements.  

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erictank

• friends
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »
bristol is close

Ummm, actually, you can't GET much further and still be in the state of VA.

D'you mean Bristow? Yeah, that's not too gawdawful far, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to drive 30+ miles to get pure gas.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »