Author Topic: LAPD officers monkey-wrenched cop-monitoring gear in patrol cars  (Read 5452 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/lapd-officers-monkey-wrenched-cop-monitoring-gear-in-patrol-cars/

The Los Angeles Police Commission is investigating how half of the recording antennas in the Southeast Division went missing, seemingly as a way to evade new self-monitoring procedures that the Los Angeles Police Department imposed last year.

Further Reading
Boston policemen complain about new plan to watch their movements

Anon officer: “No one likes it. Who wants to be followed all over the place?”
The antennas, which are mounted onto individual patrol cars, receive recorded audio captured from an officer’s belt-worn transmitter. The transmitter is designed to capture an officer’s voice and transmit the recording to the car itself for storage. The voice recorders are part of a video camera system that is mounted in a front-facing camera on the patrol car. Both elements are activated any time the car’s emergency lights and sirens are turned on, but they can also be activated manually.

According to the Los Angeles Times, an LAPD investigation determined that around half of the 80 patrol cars in one South LA division were missing antennas as of last summer, and an additional 10 antennas were unaccounted for.

If they aren't doing anything wrong, they ought not mind being monitored...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: LAPD officers monkey-wrenched cop-monitoring gear in patrol cars
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »
“No one likes it. Who wants to be followed all over the place?”

Certainly not all the people that you've been following  =(

Ha!   >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
They used that equipment to fire some Milwaukee cops  a few years back who were breaking into a closed down bowling alley to bowl and drink while they were supposed to be out on patrol.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
When we hear about some officer that does bad, wrong, or illegal things, the defenders usually fall back on the "few bad apples" defense.  I'll admit that one officer may have disabled (lets call it vandalized, which is a crime) more than one system.  But half of the cars?  That's a systemic problem, not an isolated incident.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
an LAPD investigation determined that around half of the 80 patrol cars in one South LA division were missing antennas as of last summer, and an additional 10 antennas were unaccounted for.

When I was in the Army, "missing" was pretty much the same as "unaccounted for". 

So it's ~50 out of 80 that don't have antennas?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
I find it interesting how sharply rates of use of force drop when the cops are on camera. It's almost like they were using unjustified force before, and stop when they know they'll be held accountable...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
That is one perspective.  There is another.  You might find it elusive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
That is one perspective.  There is another.  You might find it elusive

I assume you're implying that people realize they're being filmed and so are on their best behaviour? Because of course people who are willing to assault a cop and take a beating/shooting for it, would be too timid to do so on camera.  ;/

I bet they were the ones who disabled the recorders on these poor cops' cars too huh? You really are beyond parody sometimes. And now, back to my policy of not feeding your troll ass.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
Do they drive the same car everyday? I know some fleets that monitor.  And some drivers learn how to disable the systems.  never knew anyone who hooked it back up after.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
And how do they mount? Which district? I think its odd that only one area has a bunch missing.  Would expect a more widespread action. What is the range on these things with and without?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
Have they ruled out vandalism by others?  Just curious. 

I also would think they ought to know who was the driver.  The question is can they discipline them for it? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »
Have they ruled out vandalism by others?  Just curious. 
Seems pretty unlikely to me.  That would be a pretty specific and consistent vandalism.

Honestly, I get the sentiment from the officers.  I'd not be thrilled if everything I did throughout the day in my office were recorded to later possibly be used against me.  However, perhaps that is the price they need to pay for the protections they enjoy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »
I also would think they ought to know who was the driver.  The question is can they discipline them for it? 

Don't they have to do a "pre-flight" check of the car at the start of the shift  ???

We had to do that with school buses.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »

Yes. Arrest their arse, vandalism, destruction of government property. Will they arrest them?  No. Not going to happen.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
Any idea what the antenna looks like? Size?  Apparently missing just cuts range by 1/3. And is their system always on? Typically they aren't

cordex

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »
Apparently missing just cuts range by 1/3.
I doubt the beat cop knows that, though.

And is their system always on? Typically they aren't
The body mics that our county mounties use are tied to the dash cam which only operates (along with a 30 second or so buffer) when they activate their lights or manually tell it to record.  Also, the mics can be manually disabled even when the dash cam is going.  I've seen that happen when a deputy wanted to cut someone a real break without being recorded doing so.

That said, my guess is that if the cops are attempting to disable the systems on their car by yanking antennae, they probably don't have that level of control over them.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 02:36:59 PM »
IMO, the solution is to go to the on-body cameras, and use them as the time clock; shift starts when your camera comes on, and when it goes off, you're on an unpaid break.  Allow 5-10 minutes to report a camera failure, and use the dashcam to monitor their return to the station for a replacement.  Too many camera failures in high pressure situations and you get a full crew with a Panaflex following you around.  (Film costs deducted from the chief's discretionary budget, of course.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
Seems pretty unlikely to me.  That would be a pretty specific and consistent vandalism.

Honestly, I get the sentiment from the officers.  I'd not be thrilled if everything I did throughout the day in my office were recorded to later possibly be used against me.  However, perhaps that is the price they need to pay for the protections they enjoy.
I wouldn't want to be videoed at all times either.  BUT, if I was in a job where I knew a good percentage of people were looking for reasons to complain against me, I might be much in favor of having it all on video.  As one of the quotes said that I saw on one of the links; this is really about collecting evidence, not playing gotcha with the cops or others.  There is a more or less impartial record.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
I wouldn't want to be videoed at all times either.  BUT, if I was in a job where I knew a good percentage of people were looking for reasons to complain against me, I might be much in favor of having it all on video.
Totally agree.  Recorded interactions with the public is a benefit to a good cop.

As one of the quotes said that I saw on one of the links; this is really about collecting evidence, not playing gotcha with the cops or others.  There is a more or less impartial record.
In general, yes, but I don't get the feeling that this system is purely for collecting evidence on people the cops interact with.  If it were, there wouldn't be a good reason (short of bad coppery) for the cops to want to disable it.  Moreover, if it were primarily for evidence collection then there isn't really a reason I can think of to spend all that extra money on a dedicated radio-based system in each car to transmit that information in real time to a centralize location.  It is in the interests of police to collect good evidence, and a conventional dash-cam or on-body camera handles that pretty well for a lot less.

Thus, it makes me think some combination of the following is true:
1. This particular system is directed at catching bad cops - perhaps for good reason.
2. LAPD's budget is too big
3. Someone high up in LAPD knows (in the biblical sense) someone at a vendor that sells realtime cop car monitoring systems.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
If they get sovereign immunity, they wave any right to whine about getting recorded every second they spend on the job. Or 24/7 for that matter, if they have the same immunity when off duty.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »
If they get sovereign immunity, they wave any right to whine about getting recorded every second they spend on the job. Or 24/7 for that matter, if they have the same immunity when off duty.
Qualified immunity != sovereign immunity.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
I find it interesting how sharply rates of use of force drop when the cops are on camera. It's almost like they were using unjustified force before, and stop when they know they'll be held accountable...

Yeah ... what a coincidence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
dedicated radio-based system in each car to transmit that information in real time to a centralize location

is that whats happening?  i read it differently

"The antennas, which are mounted onto individual patrol cars, receive recorded audio captured from an officer’s belt-worn transmitter. The transmitter is designed to capture an officer’s voice and transmit the recording to the car itself for storage. "

seems its just to take the signal from camera and record it in car