Author Topic: Oliver North to be NRA Pres.  (Read 1968 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Oliver North to be NRA Pres.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 09:57:06 AM »
Clarke unsettles me. We like him because politics or something, but if you always have to be on TV in uniform and such, why? Join the military. He seems way too in love with himself and state power. With him, Sheriff Joe, and coward Israel I am leant towards automatically distrusting any tv cop.

Good guys, especially good politicians, are few and far between in Milwaukee county, Clarke was one a f them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
Clarke unsettles me. We like him because politics or something, but if you always have to be on TV in uniform and such, why? Join the military. He seems way too in love with himself and state power. With him, Sheriff Joe, and coward Israel I am leant towards automatically distrusting any tv cop.

Didn't Clarke voluntarily step down a year or so ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Clarke_(sheriff)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »

Quoted for truth.  I have always gotten an uneasy feeling about him as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
North was on the National Security Council in the White House at the time, not the Pentagon.  Congress (controlled by D's) had passed the treasonous Boland Amendment which prohibited aid to the Contra's in Nicaragua.   

He sold (older) TOW missiles to to Iran (in the middle of the Iraq-Iran War) to encourage them to help get hostages in Lebanon released and the proceeds were used to fund the Contra's.   While I'm not happy that he sold missiles to Iran, at least it wasn't pallets of cash and we were playing both sides as we were also selling weapons to Iraq.

He's been very active with NRA for many years now, and is very, very pro-2A.   One of the best speeches he's given at an NRA Annual Meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOjIKt7wOk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
Clarke unsettles me. We like him because politics or something, but if you always have to be on TV in uniform and such, why? Join the military.

Wait, what? Why would a sheriff join the military, to be on TV, or to be in uniform?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
North was on the National Security Council in the White House at the time, not the Pentagon.  Congress (controlled by D's) had passed the treasonous Boland Amendment which prohibited aid to the Contra's in Nicaragua.  

He sold (older) TOW missiles to to Iran (in the middle of the Iraq-Iran War) to encourage them to help get hostages in Lebanon released and the proceeds were used to fund the Contra's.   While I'm not happy that he sold missiles to Iran, at least it wasn't pallets of cash and we were playing both sides as we were also selling weapons to Iraq.

He's been very active with NRA for many years now, and is very, very pro-2A.   One of the best speeches he's given at an NRA Annual Meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOjIKt7wOk

Actually that bold part is mostly false. It was widely claimed around the time of the second Iraq war especially by Michael Moore; but the US never really sold weapons to Iraq. We did assist with intelligence. There was a sale of non military helicopters, and there were some potential deals that were never completed. The vast majority of weapons sales was Russia and France, followed by other European countries and South Africa and the like. There used to be a paper publicly available that I’ve lost track of that listed sales of all weapons by country of Origin to Iraq. - This is the site http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php

I probably wouldn’t have picked North, I’m not really sure what his opinion on various firearms issues are. I seem to recall conflicting or maybe evolving opinions on so called assault weapons. I may be misremembering though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:26:10 PM by MikeB »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
I guess I would backtrack a little and say I have no issue with the pick.  I had no idea he was active with the NRA and it surprised me.  I will have to listen to that speech.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
All I know is that he'll make the left collectively lose their sheet.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »
All I know is that he'll make the left collectively lose their sheet.

And that is good enough for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
And that is good enough for me.

Exactly
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 02:13:21 AM »
Quote from: 230RN on May 07, 2018, 06:51:51 PM

French G. remarked, "If you think a trump tweet triggers the media people grab your popcorn and melt some extra butter."

Yeah, my first thought was that it gives the left another chance to crank their slander machines up to eleven.

North is a horrible pick, for this reason.

I said "slander machine," which is apparently becoming their own undoing.  Or I hope so anyhow.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.