Author Topic: State Dept wants new biographical questionnaire for some passport applicants  (Read 2892 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/state-dept-wants-to-make-it-harder-to-get-a-passport/

The proposed new  Form DS-5513 asks for all addresses since birth; lifetime employment history including employers’ and supervisors names, addresses, and telephone numbers; personal details of all siblings; mother’s address one year prior to your birth; any “religious ceremony” around the time of birth; and a variety of other information.

The gubimint estimates that it will only take an average person 45 minutes to assemble the information.  It is currently not known who will have to use the new form if it is put into action.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
How the hell am I supposed to know my Mother's address one year prior to my birth, more so if she has already passed away?

ETA: That list of questions is more tedious and intrusive than an SSBI to get a freaking Q clearance.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I've only even met one of my siblings, and talked to another on the phone once.   ;/

And my "lifetime employment history" would be about 300 pages if ever I could remember it all.

However, I could recite my family on my dad's side, all the way back to South Carolina in the late 1700s  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Will Barry have to do the same thing to stay in power?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Did your mother receive pre-natal or post-natal medical care?
Dates of appointments
:facepalm:

Glad I got my passport when I did.

Jim147

• friends
I've seen addresses, zip codes and area codes change since I've been around. I think they can find a better way to keep some people from going in and out of the country.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
I've kept a spreadsheet with lifetime address and employer information.  Started that in college in case I had to get a security clearance.  Came in handy for that.  Can't believe I might need it for fracking passport.

That said, is there any unbiased source for what the questionairre will actually contain?  The links in the article from the OP go to "papersplease.org".  That makes me wonder if this is legit.
Formerly sumpnz

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
How the hell am I supposed to know my Mother's address one year prior to my birth, more so if she has already passed away?

Heck, that's the easy part compared to all the employment history, considering I've worked for at least three companies that no longer exist.  At least one supervisor disappeared with a good chunk of the company's cash, too.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
I've kept a spreadsheet with lifetime address and employer information.  Started that in college in case I had to get a security clearance.  Came in handy for that.  Can't believe I might need it for fracking passport.

That said, is there any unbiased source for what the questionairre will actually contain?  The links in the article from the OP go to "papersplease.org".  That makes me wonder if this is legit.

From the OP:
(Note that the proposed form itself was not published in the Federal Register. The Identity Project was eventually provided with a copy after requesting it from the Department of State, and posted it here.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
It is currently not known who will have to use the new form if it is put into action.

I can tell you:

With an (R) in the White House, anyone with a voter registration of "not (R)" will have to.

With a (D) in the White House, anyone with a voter registration of "not (D)" will have to.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
IDK if I want to ever find out personally why they want to prevent people from leaving.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
If "i don't remember" is admissible in court, then what about on this form?

wait till they call it up online and play 7 questions with you.

After my 17 hour flight from Sydney to LA, I couldn't remember my phone number
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
IDK if I want to ever find out personally why they want to prevent people from leaving.

By the time you find out it will be too late to leave.

I dunno where one would go anyway  ???

But I might jump on a ship if there was a pretty girl sitting in a lawn chair on the dock  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
By the time you find out it will be too late to leave.

I dunno where one would go anyway  ???

But I might jump on a ship if there was a pretty girl sitting in a lawn chair on the dock  =)

I bet you could pay her in strawberries, too. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!