Author Topic: Country Music and Guns  (Read 1639 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Country Music and Guns
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »
Probably time to stop assuming the country music scene is friendly with the firearms scene. Not that everyone should think the same because of their associations, but this isn't the first time I've heard country music artists talk about how they're "gun guys" but anti-NRA and/or anti-firearms freedoms.

The NRA should stop always focusing on booking country music artists as well when they do the annual meeting, etc. Book artists that don't dis your members from whatever musical genres.

If you're blaming guns for Las Vegas, you're not "a gun guy".

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/26/eric-church-says-nra-is-to-blame-for-las-vegas-festival-mass-shooting.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Country Music and Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »
*shrug* Depends on the amount of backlash. Country fans have shut down artists in the past when they didn't like someone's politics. Usually the only ones who dare go against what the "mainstream" country music fans consider acceptable are the ones who can get play outside the country music stations.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
I honestly had never heard of the guy until I saw the news story. Is some kind of up-and-coming Big New Star or something?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
Who is Eric Church? I've never heard of him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
I honestly had never heard of the guy until I saw the news story. Is some kind of up-and-coming Big New Star or something?

Brad

He was in like 2011.

He's one of those interchangeable "beer and pickup truck" country/rock bros.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
This is the only song I know by him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-dUsh6OT8
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
Sucks,  I liked this one. 

https://youtu.be/8OZhw-aQTP8

Shame he's a friggin tool.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 05:07:28 AM »
Like many of the “new country” singers he’s just a dipshit dressed up in overpriced “western” clothes and singing the same “Friday night getting drunk on a dirt road with a whore in the passenger seat of my jacked up truck” as the rest of them. It’s not country, it’s pop

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
Like many of the “new country” singers he’s just a dipshit dressed up in overpriced “western” clothes and singing the same “Friday night getting drunk on a dirt road with a whore in the passenger seat of my jacked up truck” as the rest of them. It’s not country, it’s pop

Country-bro music for the yeti cooler sticker, columbia shirt wearing crowd.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTKR12cUqc
Bo Burnham - Todays Country Songs
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
This is the only song I know by him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-dUsh6OT8

To 1:34.  Standard line-dancing foot-stompin' fare, standard musical progression and modulation, standard story. (Did I miss any standard dawg in the standard pickup?) Standard music video techniques.

Ho-hum.  1:34 and click out.  Thank you !  Next !

ETA
Quoted for editing purposes:

Like many of the “new country” singers he’s just a dipshit dressed up in overpriced “western” clothes and singing the same “Friday night getting drunk on a dirt road with a whore in the passenger seat of my jacked up truck” as the rest of them. It’s not country, it’s pop pap.

I'm sure you'll endorse that correction, Boomhauer.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Eric Church probably should, and I suspect his producers are telling him to do so today, google "Dixie Chicks".

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »

He at least writes his own songs. Shame about this stance though.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife