Author Topic: pot is harmless  (Read 15489 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: pot is harmless
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
I really don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems the feds will not allow any studies into medical benefits of MJ, but they can find money to study how harmful it is.  Most things that have legitimate medical use *are* harmful when misused.

People like Woody Harrelson who conflate hemp (as fiber and oil-seed crops) with MJ, and medical MJ with recreational because they want to get high are just as irritating, although probably not doing as much harm.

Also our last 3 (or more) presidents were users, so I have no respect for them and their minions preaching at me about drugs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:25:45 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
I don't care if it makes you grow an extra arm that punches you in the nose nonstop until you die.

It doesn't change that:
I won't use it,
Outlawing it has been ineffective since it was first attempted, and
The prohibition of pot and other drugs has been more of a detriment to our society and rule of law than the drugs themselves which continue to be available regardless.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
but it seems the feds will not allow any studies into medical benefits of MJ,

really?  do tell?
is that like "90% of people in jail are in for possession!"?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
"Abnormalities" meaning what? They say there is an effect, but they stop short of saying it is bad.

Eating concentrated pot is harmful? So freaking what? So is drinking bleach, and we are not outlawing that.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
perhaps using the link in the article to read the actual study would help. its a bit more specific but only a bit

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
Most things that have legitimate medical use *are* harmful when misused.

Indeed.  And many "legitimate" drugs have harmful effects when used as directed. The list of side effects on the typical drug commercial can be pretty scary. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
Against my better judgement I type in this thread:

I don't give a *expletive deleted*ck if Pot is or isn't harmful to the person taking it.  Tobacco is harmful.  Scotch is harmful (and I'll shoot you over trying to take mine).  Chicken wings can be harmful. Prozac sure as *expletive deleted*ck is harmful.

I.   Don't.  Care. What. You. Put. In. Your. Body.

And I resent that a large portion of my income is taken yearly and given to busy-bodied aholes to tell other people what to put in there bodies.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Re: pot is harmless
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:11 PM »

I don't give a *expletive deleted* if Pot is or isn't harmful to the person taking it.  Tobacco is harmful.  Scotch is harmful (and I'll shoot you over trying to take mine).  Chicken wings can be harmful. Prozac sure as *expletive deleted* is harmful.

I.   Don't.  Care. What. You. Put. In. Your. Body.

And I resent that a large portion of my income is taken yearly and given to busy-bodied aholes to tell other people what to put in there bodies.

This
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
And, on Monday night, before Distefano appeared before the House Committee on Health, Insurance, and Environment on two bills to rein in recreational marijuana, a mother of three from Denver on the phone with a 911 operator about the hallucinations being experienced by her husband was killed when he shot her in the head.

Dead is 44-year old Kristine A. Kirk. Her husband, Richard Kirk, 47, is being held without bond on a charge of first-degree murder. He volunteered his guilt while in custody, but before police began interrogating him. Denver Police are investigating whether Kirk smoked or ingested an edible form of marijuana. The 911 call was originally thought to be a domestic disturbance, and the dispatcher was told that the only gun in the home was kept in a safe. Officers arrived just ahead of the shooting.

Every time I heard this in the news they always made sure to mention he had an edible form of marijuana just before shooting her. Almost like they had an angle they were trying to push.

perhaps using the link in the article to read the actual study would help. its a bit more specific but only a bit

The link in the article only takes you to their home page. Here's the link to the actual article, http://www.jneurosci.org/content/34/16/5529.full
For some reason I really don't think you actually read it either. In order to read it you can spend $30 to have access to the article for one day from one computer, or spend $75 to have a back issue mailed to you, or spend over $1,000 to subscribe to the article. A few thousand depending on how you are ordering it.

The researchers found that young adults who used marijuana even once or twice a week showed “significant abnormalities in two important brain structures,”

Significant huh? So what it really means is not actually significant otherwise it would of given real numbers, that's why they have to interpret the results for us.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
I knew the faithful wouldn't like it. http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2014/04/casual-marijuana-use-linked-to-brain-abnormalities-in-students.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »
Was that supposed to give any real data? Because it didn't.

Of particular note, the nucleus acccumbens was abnormally large,

And...?

Through different methods of neuroimaging, scientists examined the brains of young adults, ages 18 to 25, from Boston-area colleges; 20 who smoked marijuana and 20 who didn’t.
Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the U.S. with an estimated 15.2 million users, the study reports, based on the National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2008.

Oh good, we have 20 people that is supposed to represent 15.2 million users, That's .0001%.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
... Oh good, we have 20 people that is supposed to represent 15.2 million users, That's .0001%.

Hey, it works for the people who do the TV ratings..... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »
Hey, it works for the people who do the TV ratings..... [tinfoil]

It doesn't work for them either.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »
I knew the faithful wouldn't like it. http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2014/04/casual-marijuana-use-linked-to-brain-abnormalities-in-students.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

No, as usual you are being stubbornly obtuse... We don't care.

Marijuana could be as bad as an OD of Black Tar and a year's abuse of Russian Crocodil combined, killing you, making your extremities all slough off at once, and then reanimating you as a dangerous zombie, and it still wouldn't be as bad as the pernicious cancer of overreaching government and the erosion of our Constitutional rights. And our government has had negligable impact on the actual rate of abuse, except, of course, creating artificial market scarcity, which in turn becomes a profit motivator for crime and violence.

The Alcohol/Prohibition model is clear, and there is no magic reason that makes other drugs different. It's not even really a debate. It just is. Billions in taxes, thousands of dead, or in prisons on what is at it's core, an argument of emotive reasoning.  

The only difference is that alcohol has and had wide social acceptance across a wide range of ethnicities and social classes and miraculously had enough good PR to overcome the rediculous overreach of the Eighteenth Amendment.  "Other drugs" all had more discrete social patterns that enabled discrimination, Opium = Asians, Marijuana = Migrant Mexican labor, Cocaine = inner city blacks, LSD = Dirty Hippies, and so on.

Nobody here is arguing that Marijuana, much less any other narcotic or hallucinogen is "good", merely that the WOD is worse. If people are going to die from drug abuse, let it be the people who willingly do the drugs. Instead of the people harmed in crimes by addicts looking to pay for drugs, or in the crossfire of gangs fighting over the sale and distribution of drugs.

Get that through your head, please.

Seriously Edward, no amount of brown-nosing the state, or pro-law enforcement cheer-leading rhetoric, or anti drug news you like that fits your worldview is going to compensate for your past life, or somehow bolster the "gone legit" person you are today. The state doesn't care. The cops don't care. We don't care.

Nobody is tallying a score on that. You have to just be comfortable with who you are and own it.
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 12:42:17 AM »
I've never done an illegal drug in my life and the prescription narcotics got trashed because they just made me homicidal. I'll probably try some decent pot one day when I'm past the point in life of drug tests, parenting, and any semblance of responsibility. Might be a fun way to view retirement. I despise prohibition and everything the war on drugs has brought us. Really don't give a bit of care that something might be harmful. Besides, isn't mind alteration a feature, not a bug?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
You know something? I'd rather we have legal pot and erase alcohol from the earth. I've seen WAY more lives ruined due to alcohol than weed. Weed seems less likely to lead to stuff like DUIs, fights, etc (oh don't get me wrong, there are still people out there that DUI and such while high, but not nearly the amount that alcohol brings about)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »

Marijuana could be as bad as an OD of Black Tar and a year's abuse of Russian Crocodil combined, killing you, making your extremities all slough off at once, and then reanimating you as a dangerous zombie, and it still wouldn't be as bad as the pernicious cancer of overreaching government and the erosion of our Constitutional rights. And our government has had negligable impact on the actual rate of abuse, except, of course, creating artificial market scarcity, which in turn becomes a profit motivator for crime and violence.

The Alcohol/Prohibition model is clear, and there is no magic reason that makes other drugs different. It's not even really a debate. It just is. Billions in taxes, thousands of dead, or in prisons on what is at it's core, an argument of emotive reasoning. 

The only difference is that alcohol has and had wide social acceptance across a wide range of ethnicities and social classes and miraculously had enough good PR to overcome the rediculous overreach of the Eighteenth Amendment.  "Other drugs" all had more discrete social patterns that enabled discrimination, Opium = Asians, Marijuana = Migrant Mexican labor, Cocaine = inner city blacks, LSD = Dirty Hippies, and so on.

Nobody here is arguing that Marijuana, much less any other narcotic or hallucinogen is "good", merely that the WOD is worse. If people are going to die from drug abuse, let it be the people who willingly do the drugs. Instead of the people harmed in crimes by addicts looking to pay for drugs, or in the crossfire of gangs fighting over the sale and distribution of drugs.

Seriously Edward, no amount of brown-nosing the state, or pro-law enforcement cheer-leading rhetoric, or anti drug news you like that fits your worldview is going to compensate for your past life, or somehow bolster the "gone legit" person you are today. The state doesn't care. The cops don't care. We don't care.

Nobody is tallying a score on that. You have to just be comfortable with who you are and own it.

+1000.

Also, it doesn't help his case that the study has severe methodological flaws. As already noted, the study was only of 40 students, which is completely and utterly statistically insignificant.

In addition, they don't have "before" and "after" scans of the pot users, which means those abnormalities may have existed prior to smoking pot; the casual link could be completely reversed - i.e., people who have certain brain abnormalities are simply more likely to use drugs.

Finally, these abnormalities were not associated with any discernible negative effects. All of them were healthy with no detected psychological or cognitive impairment, as all participants were per-screened for any such impairments. 

The headline of this story would probably be better written as "Study of Pot Smokers' Brains Shows That MRIs Cause Bad Science Reporting".

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »
It doesn't work for them either.

Firefly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:12 AM »
Indeed.  And many "legitimate" drugs have harmful effects when used as directed. The list of side effects on the typical drug commercial can be pretty scary. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdNMRtvq5g
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »

I don't give a *expletive deleted* if Pot is or isn't harmful to the person taking it.  Tobacco is harmful.  Scotch is harmful (and I'll shoot you over trying to take mine).  Chicken wings can be harmful. Prozac sure as *expletive deleted* is harmful.

I.   Don't.  Care. What. You. Put. In. Your. Body.

This right there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re:
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »

The only difference is that alcohol has and had wide social acceptance across a wide range of ethnicities and social classes and miraculously had enough good PR to overcome the rediculous overreach of the Eighteenth Amendment.  "Other drugs" all had more discrete social patterns that enabled discrimination, Opium = Asians, Marijuana = Migrant Mexican labor, Cocaine = inner city blacks, LSD = Dirty Hippies, and so on.

+1 Scrillion!!!!!!! Excellent rant my good man.

P.S., don't feed the troll.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G